1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You might need all 4 of those things to happen (not sure that one of them is likely) for Trump to turn things around. He's the captain of the Titanic right now, and he's not listening to anyone about the iceberg that's coming up ahead for him.

Yes anything can happen. Trump could win. But this isn't the same as 4 years ago, when he was running against an unpopular candidate and was able to make the election about her emails over his brazen personality. He had no record to run on - no record to defend. Clinton had trouble attacking him because of that, and Trump could constantly put her on the defensive.

But now, Trump has the record he has to defend, and it's a record he isn't even trying to defend. He has failed to find a suitable attack line against Biden - namely because Trump is so much worse on anything he can find Biden fault with.

4 months is a long time. Trump may close the gap. Or it may get bigger. On thing is for sure, Trump is pushing the boundaries of executive power unlike any president before him as predicted when he realized impeachment was no longer something he had to worry about.

RayRay10 and DVauthrin like this.
  2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

The House and Senate were enablers to Trump's often outrageous and criminal behavior for the past three and half years. This November, Trump will take the whole party down.

Payback is indeed a b****!!!

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL, snowflake trump campaign upset with CNN reporter who, check notes, posted trump's interview transcript for ridicule...

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, I said this at the time.

He had TWO crises where he could have locked up another term.

A crisis is an opportunity for a president to really do something special.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

RayRay10 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hey, by next Spring, after Trump loses, many of the Repubs in Congress and folks like that BLM friend Gov. Abbott might be supporting such boldness as Mayor Turner wanting to ban choke holds, while still fighting for more upper class tax cuts.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How about the fact that he is leading in Arizona and pretty much tied in Texas and Ga?

These polls don't mean he has it in the bag but they do mean something.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Now this is news.

Interesting to hear that.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Joe's going to get a severe case of writer's cramp when he repeals all Trump's executive orders.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes because the polls now look remarkably similar to the polls in 2016 at this time. Also logically it makes sense we would look to the most recent presidential election to inform us of the current election especially with the same candidate running.

If I can respond to you and Sweet Lou at the same time.

Consider that with even with everything that has gone wrong Trump's approval ratings haven't severely dipped. With other Presidents we would expect him to be at least in the low 30%, heck even Obama at one point in 2014 was 40%. We haven't seen that. That tells me that Trump has a base larger and more set than other President's. As noted before he won with only 46% of the electorate. We can all believe it's in the bag but numerically it won't take much of a change for him to win the election.

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I would love to see this day televised so I can have a beer on hand and cheer like an idiot, USA, USA, USA!!

*crossing my fingers that Joe wins*

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

There we go.

It will be interesting to see how he speaks about it during a debate. Trump stupidity trying to repeal it during this crisis helps Biden.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://news.gallup.com/poll/312572/trump-job-approval-slides.aspx

I don't see anybody saying its in the bag just pushing back on the argument that this is the same as 2016.

The biggest factor being that the anti trump vote is energized and he continues to energize it, especially with him still going after the ACA.

Also Trump by less than 100,000 votes over 3 states and not a landslide.

Show me where Trump has gained support since 2016 to offset the energized anti trump vote?

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Pardon me while I reply to myself. This is the one factor that should worry us the most. This is an issue that most likely will not be reflected in polling as many people in the suburbs aren't willing to admit that they are afraid of urban (black) crime. One factor to look at is the surge in gun sales recently in both urban and suburban areas. That indicates that there is a lot of concern regarding the recent riots and also with talk of defunding and disbanding police. Trump is masterful at exploiting fear and division and depending on what more happens I could see fear of crime becoming a major wedge issue.

In response to Sam Fisher who stated that Trump's ratings have cratered since he started talking about this issue they actually haven't. It doesn't seem like he's getting a major booth from this issue but he certainly isn't cratering.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

39% is within the norm for Trump. Consider though that GW Bush was down 25% in his second term and I don't think anyone would consider that the country was in as much trouble when GW Bush was President.

The factor here isn't what support Trump is gaining but how firm his base is. While the anti-Trump vote is more energized the pro-Trump base doesn't appear to be getting less enthusiastic. By definition base is what you build off of and given how bad things are that his base is still holding shows that it won't take much to win the election. Also consider that in most presidential elections party voters tend to come home.

The problem I have with people saying this things is in the bag is that while the numbers are bad for Trump they aren't as bad what they should be when compared to other Presidents. Both Bushes, Clinton, Reagan and Carter all had worse approval ratings than Trump. Trump's worse was 35% and that was at the beginning of his term. By nearly all measures this is the worst time of his term yet his approval rating is higher than when he started his term. A lot of y'all are saying that Trump now has a record which will hold him down. The problem is that even with his record it doesn't seem to change his approval ratings much.

RayRay10 and T_Man like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why would those people vote for Trump?

He is the one stirring things up, He failed miserably exploiting fear and division in 2018 and he is still failing miserably as seen by his sinking poll numbers and his disapproval ratings.

His numbers might not be cratering but sure are not rising and since he barely won in 2016 he can't afford to lose anyone.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't want to argue with you, but I consider you replying to yourself to not be in our top 500 national worries. It's not even a top BBS worry. :oops:

RayRay10, jiggyfly and Os Trigonum like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

RJ you are really ignoring the fact that he won with a razor thin margin in 2016, energizing the anti trump vote wipes out that margin.

He has also lost support from white women and independants

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/poll-trump-loses-ground-key-2016-voters-n1226971

Trump was lucky to win with a 40% approval rating I don't know why you keep touting that number, no president has been reelected with that number.

Also his disapproval ratings have continued to rise meaning people are starting to get off the fence and they are not going to Trump.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ting-us-election-2020-president-a9547206.html

Yes his base is still solid but his opposition has grown.

Also it seems that Trump average approval rating is much lower than all the presidents you metioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_approval_rating

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.