1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Also I stumbled on this pdf from Eastern Virginia Medical School. I sent it to my cardiologist friend and he said it was excellent and shared it with other doctors he works with. I thought I'd share it here too. Might not be too much to gather from it for non doctors, but still a good read in case you do come down with covid.

https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_pub...cine/EVMS_Critical_Care_COVID-19_Protocol.pdf

And here's a couple possibly relevant pages in case people don't feel like clicking on the link. The footnotes at the link are extensive as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rashmon, No Worries, Amiga and 3 others like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Mass protests are exempt. That’s interesting

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Tulsa health dept explained where the cases in their outbreak were coming from. I had a link to the story, but for some reason they took it down.

I also saw this story. Maybe protests won't be a major source of spread. FWIW the Austin protests I was at almost everyone was wearing a mask.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...-tell-about-cluster-spread-of-the-coronavirus

Parties — Not Protests — Are Causing Spikes In Coronavirus

As the U.S. begins to open back up, coronavirus clusters — where multiple people contract COVID-19 at the same event or location — are popping up all over the country. And despite drawing massive crowds, protests against police violence and racial injustice in Washington state weren't among those clusters.

"We did have a rally in Bellingham, which is our county seat, and there was also a protest, and we have not been able to connect a single case to that rally or to the protest, and what we're finding is in large part that's due to the use of masks," Erika Lautenbach, the director of the Whatcom County Health Department in Washington State, tells NPR's All Things Considered. "Almost everyone at the rally was wearing a mask, and it's really a testament to how effective masks are in preventing the spread of this disease."

For the clusters that have popped up, Lautenbach says the state has been using contact tracing to learn more about how they're contributing to the spread of the virus. For instance, it found that 14 cases were associated with a party of 100 to 150 people in early June. Subsequently, 15 more cases were associated with the original 14.

median age for COVID-19 patients dropped from 65 years old in March to 37 in late June. Dr. Cheryl Holder, an associate professor at Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine at Florida International University, says that's partly because young people are getting exposed more.

"It's really basically who gets exposed," Holder tells Morning Edition. "If you look who is staying in and following the guidelines, [it's] older people who are at risk. The older folks got [the message]; the young people, not so much."

That's Lautenbach's worry too.

"The concern is that because these younger people are having more mild symptoms, they are going to work sick, they are visiting with their parents and grandparents sick and they're continuing to go to social events where they expose more and more people," Lautenbach says. "So when we think about that web of spread, that web just grows and grows and grows."

Amiga, Andre0087, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

I had this in a previous post mentioning Covid didn’t exist for like 2 weeks. People will take it however they seem to prefer, but to say a cluster of tens of thousands Next to each other for hours and hours with tons of yelling/screaming, can’t be at least a significant part of spread isn’t being consistent. It’s basically the opposite of what we’ve been told you’re supposed to do to take precautions. Not everyone is wearing a mask and 6 feet definitely wasn’t a concept. This is why it’s just a mess all around because nobody can get a consistency in what to believe

#8384 YOLO, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    NotInMyHouse likes this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Not only that but the same people were grouped again and again for some amount of days. But the mix of those same people were around different ones the next day/night.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This is really fantastic stuff, thank you. The graphs are really well done, and the "not ARDS" is pretty compelling.

I'm a little surprised (as a non-medical person) by the vitamin-C stuff. We heard so much about it growing up, and Linus Pauling was a genius, blah blah, but I thought vitamin-C's star had faded a little bit. Not exactly a fad, but something approaching that. Now it seems to be absolutely critical to COVID care. I've read that in multiple places now.

You deserve some sort of service medal is this overall thread, IMHO. LOL.

7. Nook

Nook Member

The USA should offer asylum to anyone in Hong Kong that wants to leave to avoid the CCP rule. I know England is thinking of doing the same. Some of the nicest and most intelligent and civic minded people I have met in all my travels are from Hong Kong. I hope your father is doing well.

8. Nook

Nook Member

It reminds me of what people used to say about cigarettes..... you would hear stories of smokers saying: "I've been smoking for _ years and it hasn't killed me or my friends,"

9. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

bars closing at noon today, you have two hours to go grab a drink lol

B-Bob likes this.
  10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I agree with this. I'd put some requirements behind it to where we try to get mostly the folks who will contribute to the economy most - e.g, start businesses, buy homes, etc.

Nook likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yup. It’s not surprising this doesn’t get attention bc the people in the office all were encouraging it. Imagine how it would make them look if media pushed out that narrative

12. Nook

Nook Member

An attorney I know well has it currently.

He is 35 and in exceptional health. He is single, he works out twice a day and has a very disciplined diet. He immediately started going out and socializing up here in Chicago as some of the restrictions were being lifted.

I try not to nag, but I pointed out that the virus isn't gone and his attitude was that he is young and in great health and it will not be much worse than a flu if he got it.

Well now he has had it for almost two weeks and currently is in the hospital in Chicago.

God knows how many people he passed it to as he ignored the initial symptoms and "fought through it" thinking it was just a simple illness. He even came and dropped off some things for my wife when he was positive. He went on multiple dates and he told me hooked up with several women during that span and had traveled to Florida to meet one and have fun.

He went to the ER after having it about a week and was told he was positive. He felt better for few days and then literally collapsed and is having severe breathing issues and a lack of energy. He said he actually doesn't want the hospital to release him and he is for the first time since I have known him, scared.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. Major

Major Member

It's funny that one of the Serious Seven is basically just "Other". Good job covering all their bases.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

Along with high use of masks, these protests are all outdoors, which has been said to be the other big key to avoiding infections, or at least serious ones, because if you get the virus, your viral load is substantially lower. Outdoor events in general - even big ones - aren't considered major causes of this. You probably almost certainly have spread from them, but it may not show up in the testing because they are likely milder cases.

ElPigto likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

people assume high use of masks, but it truly wasn't. and not only that most are using just simple facial coverings, that has minimal prevention. If this logic was truly accurate, Outdoor events like concerts and mass gatherings wouldn't be canceled. As long as a mask is worn by everyone it will be fine since its outdoors. This is just another example of misinformation and inconsistency . don't see how anyone can believe gathering 70k together not knowing where they've been previously, many without masks for hours upon hours and not attribute any of it to spread.

TexasTofu likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LonghornFan, B-Bob and FrontRunner like this.
  17. HTM

HTM Member

Houston is on pace to be one of the hardest hit cities in the nation and also saw some of the largest and most prominent protests in the country in early June... to act like there is 0 correlation there seems pretty remarkable..

YOLO likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Turner was out in the front of it. No way is he going to want backlash from it when he preaches social distancing importance basically every day. telling people one thing while doing another. pure mess from all angles

Nook likes this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is your friend Uncle Sam?

B-Bob and Nook like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

There is absolutely no guarantee that herd immunity would work as you would need 80-90% infection rate. That is even assuming herd immunity would work and a lot of experts do not believe it would. Even Sweden is back off of what they said earlier. It also appears that the length of immunity to re-infection is 2-3 months....... so all those same people can get sick again in time for the second wave (which looks more and more likely).

Everyone seems to want to negotiate with a virus....... a virus doesn't give a damn. There are not usually tricks or compromises. Either we do what is needed to stop it and pay the price or we deal with the fact that a lot of people are going to get sick, and when enough healthier people get sick, it is going to work into the at risk groups and we will likely see deaths increase...... we are going to be well over 200,000 dead by November or December and that is without a second wave........ that is a 10-15% increase in the total death rate in the USA this year..... that is a pandemic and it is staggering.