1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. raining threes

A healthy Watt/Blacklock/Omenihu/Martin can apply pressure on passing downs. I'm really looking forward to what Greenard brings. Hopefully he's a better version of Mercilus.

2. raining threes

1. I didn't like the Duke trade either but understood why it was made.
    2. Loved the Conley trade and feel his best football is ahead of him.
    3. Tunsil trade was a trade that had to be made since Bob McNair screwed up the DB deal. Watson needs to be protected at all costs and I dont feel like they overpaid. Tunsil was always going to get the contract he got as a 25 year old ascending LT. Love Stills too
    4. I think you're underestimating Cooks. He's played in 2 of the last 3 SB's and is really good. Protection for when WFV goes down again.
    5. Clowney- I didn't like the trade at the time but they got Martin and a 3rd (Conley) that they wouldn't have gotten if they had hung onto Clowney. Seattle got nothing for Clowney.

studogg likes this.
  3. raining threes

Agreed, I would've held onto Nuk longer too. But I didn't have to deal with Nuk on a daily basis either.

Lets see how Blacklock/Cooks/DJ do before judging. My biggest problem with the trade was taking on DJ's contract. That money could've been used to keep Reader and a DL of Watt/Blacklock/Reader/Mercilus doesn't look too bad.

4. raining threes

I look at it like Cooks/DJ/moving up from 52? to 40 for Hopkins

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Forgot to list the Carlos Hyde trade. My favorite Bill O' Brien trade so far.

1. How many times do the Texans find themselves in "had to do it" mode
    2. Could be true but Raiders were about to get rid of him. A 3rd is a lot for a player his own team was about to bench.
    3. It wasn't just Duane Brown but also Tytus Howard. Tytus was drafted to be the new LT, Bill O'Brien couldn't even play him over Matt Kalil there in training camp. That's when they realized they had to do something like get Tunsil
    4. He's good. Maybe good enough. But not Hopkins good. Edelman and Amendola have more superbowls than Julio Jones and Michael Thomas. All four are good, but Julio and Thomas are next level. So is Hopkins. Cooks might end up being good enough.
    5. Orrrr maybe the Texans win one more game if they just let Clowney play the season out. Maybe they host the AFC divisional playoff game instead of KC and end up on top.

6. raining threes

Agreed about Hyde and could see them doing something like this with Kelemete to acquire another RB or NT.

1. Far too often, that's what you get when your team lacks depth. Hopefully this changes now that BOB has taken over as GM. The last draft looks promising in this regard. BOB added depth at Edge/OT/WR in the last draft.

2. I like Conley alot, so maybe I'm biased but I thought the price was about right.
    3. I tried to tell everybody Howard wasn't a NFL LT. He's a very good RT and that's a good thing. I'm just glad the OL talent level has improved, but there's still Devlin's incompetence to deal with.
    4. Most SB teams dont have a WR that eats up alot of cap space. (Hopkins) They have WR's like Cooks/WFV/Cobb or Lafell/Edelman/Amendola type WR's. When is the last time a team won a SB with a top 5 paid WR? Maybe Hill but that's an aberration. The fact the Texans for the last 10 yrs have spent alot of their cap space on the WR position has been a mistake and has lead to not having good depth on the team as a whole. BOB's using the Pats model. You can disagree with the model but it's been successful and not just with the Pats.
    5. We will never know, but it's not like Clowney was tearing it up with Seattle in the playoffs.

studogg likes this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Tytus Howard could be a very good LT, but they didn't want to put him there in his first games as a rookie. Remember, he was go way up in competition. Obviously, he showed out at RT after playing a few games at LG. Also, remember he was injured during a game of Preseason...so missing time in camp would not be good for a Rookie playing LT.

8. raining threes

You know this how?

If they thought Howard could play LT the Tunsil trade wouldn't have been made and Clark would've started the season at LT until Howard got acclimated to the speed of the NFL. Anyways, I'm glad the Texans have finally solidified the OT positions.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Clark wasn't on the Team (he was signed mid-season). Khalil was. I guess you missed the part where Howard was hurt in the preseason (Hand) and missed part of camp (he didn't play week 1)? They were not going to throw a rookie out there with lack of experience at LT. Also, Kahlil was hurt most of the preseason (he wasn't good anyway). So, they really only had a healthy Rodrick Johnson and Davenport. They needed the Tunsil trade badly.

10. conquistador#11

Artillery shells fired, position
    33.4484° N, 112.0740° W

Considering he was still 21 when bob arrived and he spoke more with the GM than the head coach.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

BoB saw this and solved it by becoming both HC and GM. Now his players have no choice but to talk to him. They know who to call.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

That’s a way to look at it, if you want to make it as best as possible, but consider this..

We could have had DJ(and his contract)/ cooks/move up from 52 to 8. Or Patrick Peterson/cooks/move up from 52 to 40..

Yes when you mash all the moves together it seems a little better. But when you look at what ACTUALLY HAPPENED, in a vacuum, BOB traded a WR better than Odell (got a first and a 3rd and a S/LB), better than Diggs (got a 1st a 3rd and a 5th), for absolute dogsh*t (RB with potential but costs more than almost every other RB and was 3rd string, and the 40th overall pick). Dude hopkins was worth more than that, I don’t care how much money he wanted.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. raining threes

How I presented the trade is what happened. They were never going to get #8 or Peterson in a Hopkins trade. They weren't going to get a OBJ/Diggs type trade with Hopkins wanting a new contract.

My problem with the trade is that they took on DJ's contract and that money could be spent on either re-signing Reader or better yet investing in Byron Jones. Then you add a Hyde type RB or draft a RB in the 3rd/4th rd and I like DJ and think he's going to have a good year.

Imagine adding Jones to the secondary or a DL with Reader/Watt/Blacklock. For this reason I would held onto Hopkins if it meant having to take on DJ's contract. But of course I didn't have to deal with Hopkins on a daily basis.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I still dont get this "Hopkins is work nothing because he wants a new contract" BS. Like another poster maybe @Nimo ? said, Tunsil was due a new contract, there have been multiple ppl who have needed new contracts and still got what they deserved. I don't think you are understanding that Hopkins was a TOP TEN-FIFTEEN player IN THE LEAGUE. much less at his position. If you cant get a 1st round pick for him then you arent trying. You dont think the Packers could have come in with one? or the vikings could have traded us Diggs for him? Maybe not a top 10 pick but cmon man, we didn't get enough for him. Also, there was talk about DJ getting cut, or people adding a pick to him to trade (we traded Brock Osweiler AND a 2nd because his contract was sh*t) and now we have to trade hopkins for this contract and ask nothing back from them except a 2nd? Thats lame. Cooks got a first round pick TWICE. I don't care how you want to spin the whole offseason into the trade and all the parts make a whole. I am just saying that, by itself, the trade was absolutely horrible, and we could have all the same things we do now and also had a first round pick. Ask anybody in the league except BOB.

15. raining threes

You don't have to be around Hopkins everyday.

Like I said let's see how Bkacklock/Cooks/DJ perform and for that matter Hopkins before we pass judgement. I was against the Clownery trade but that worked out pretty well.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

we didn’t get nothing. We got a very high second round pick that was only a few picks away from the first round.

the indication is that a high dollar contract can only be paid by a handful of teams. Additionally, in today’s league where having players on rookie scale contracts to balance payroll, not all teams want to invest heavily in a primary number one when it will cost a solid young prospect in return.

with teams understanding these variables, it limited our potential return.

I’m a nutshell, you gotta be the team that drafts deandre Hopkins. Not the team that pays for him.

body slam and raining threes like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

The shade. THE SHADE.

desihooper likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Petty Hop
    Petty Hop part of the 24-0 choke
    Petty Hop part of 51-7
    The "best WR in the game" with 0 TDs and a fumble (recovered by Watson)

Enjoy shithole Arizona (with the same coach that couldn't win with Patrick Mahomes)

#1620 J.R., Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Rudyc281 likes this.