1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

R.I.P. Joel Schumacher

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jun 22, 2020.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Famed costume designer-turned-director Joel Schumacher has died in New York City on Monday morning. Schumacher passed away after a year-long battle with cancer at the age of 80.

The openly gay Schumacher started out working in the fashion industry before segueing to film first as a costume designer on Woody Allen’s “Sleeper” and “Interiors,” then as a writer on “The Wiz” and “Car Wash” before breaking through as a director.

He had a highly successful run in the late 1980s through 1990s with “St. Elmo’s Fire,” “The Lost Boys,” “Flatliners,” “Falling Down” and two John Grisham adaptations – “The Client” and “A Time to Kill”.

Schumacher helmed numerous episodes of the short lived “2000 Malibu Road,” the Lily Tomlin-led telemovie “The Incredible Shrinking Woman,” several episodes of Netflix’s “House of Cards,” and a handful of music videos for the likes of The Smashing Pumpkins, Seal and INXS.

He also controversially took the helm of the Batman franchise with 1995’s “Batman Forever” and 1997’s infamous terrible “Batman & Robin” which he famous later apologised for. Subsequent to that his films had more of a mixed reception with acclaimed efforts like “Tigerland” and “Phone Booth”, solid efforts like “Veronica Guerin” and “Flawless” while others were panned like “8mm,” “Bad Company,” “The Phantom of the Opera,” and “The Number 23”.

How works helped launch the careers of Colin Farrell, Matthew McConaughey and Kiefer Sutherland and various members of the ‘Brat Pack’. Even those he didn’t launch per se, he had a good eye for casting such as 2009’s horror film “Blood Creek” which teamed a then barely known Michael Fassbender and Henry Cavill.

Source: Variety

https://www.darkhorizons.com/r-i-p-joel-schumacher/

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A really good director. I was surprised to read that he was 80. How time flies. I especially liked A Time to Kill.

Rest in peace.

GRENDEL likes this.
  3. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The setting of 'a time to kill' is difficult for anybody not accustomed to binary America. That town literally did not have diversity.

Deckard likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

"Tigerland" is a very good, relatively unknown movie.

Saw somewhere today that he wanted his Batman movies to be much, much darker but was overruled by the studio because they wanted to sell toys and merchandise.

5. elrond

elrond Member

Hm..have to admit, not really too familiar with his body of work. The Batman movies definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Funny on individual things can so color your view of someone. All I ever knew about him was he was director on my two most hated Batman movies. I had no idea he was responsible for so many other quality films.

FrontRunner and GRENDEL like this.
  8. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

My feelings exactly.

He had some great movies under his belt. Not so much the Batman stuff.