1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

I showed you a .gov website that updates every day, and breaks down the numbers by age, race, zip codes, full State data, etc. I also showed you what google has in regards to the data.

You posted a few twitter comments.

Who exactly sounds like the idiot here?

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Oh finance boy, you're a rare breed I'll give you that.

Ziggy likes this.
  3. Outlier

Outlier Member

BoyNick, he got you in a corner. Just admit you were wrong.

4. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's not today numbers that's yesterday (Sunday). The cases often aren't reported on Sunday to due things being closed, that's why today's announcement from mayor Turner was for both today and yesterday.

In a corner with that idiot? No problem.

[​IMG]

(Edit I'll go with this one ;))

Nook and Jontro like this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

I gotta admit, I love when people think that. You posted **** from a mayor known for corruption. I showed you the numbers. You refuse to see them.

I'd continue, but I don't think much of you in the first place.

cebunit likes this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A dearest compliment coming from you finance boy.

8. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Yeah must be as the county link does say 23k cases..the spreadsheet must be a day behind..so that would mean almost 2k cases

9. Major

Major Member

His reasoning is either (1) he wants to promote his own narrative or (2) he didn't do any research and doesn't actually know what he's looking at. The site he used literally has a tab that says "disclaimer" with the following:

All data are provisional and subject to change and will be updated at 4:00 PM each day.

It should be noted that the Case Count depicted here is based on epidemiological hierarchy approach as follows:

• Date of disease onset
    • Date of diagnosis
    • Date of Laboratory result
    • Date of first report to public (i.e., community) health system
    Data for the Onset of Symptoms is based on the date of disease onset as reported by the individual. This date may fall before the date of diagnosis.

Basically, his site dates cases based on the onset of the disease, whereas others report based on when things are diagnosed or tested. So his site is going to have lagging numbers, and as people are diagnosed next week and say they first had symptoms around now, those numbers will be added back into the graph on previous days. In other words, the most recent data is incomplete.

Nook, Ziggy, jchu14 and 5 others like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Thanks, I suspected some sort of reasoning behind the major differences in numbers, that is an interesting chart but clearly not one that should be cited for current increases in reported cases.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Everything is estimate... so throwing out some #.

70% of population infected to achieve herd immunity. That would be ~231M. If we assume 0.1% IFR -> that's 231k death. 693k if 0.3%. 2M if 1%. At this time, we really don't have a good idea on IFR. This assumes immunity after infection (we do not know how much someone is immune and for how long).

Unfortunately, we aren't a very healthy nation. I wouldn't be surprise if half of American has cardiovascular disease, diabetes or obesity. This drives up IFR for the US relative to said Sweden.

robbie380 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Over 40% of the adults in this country are obese (70% overweight), and if you add (nonoverlapping) diabetes, COPD/asthma, cancers, you name it, it's highly likely well over half of the adults in this country classify at a higher risk for mortality.

13. AstrosRockets1818

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Check out that KFF link it tries to break it down. If you scroll down its about 3/4ths of the way down the page. They put it at about 38% of the population above 18 as higher risk for serious illness. 21% of 18-65 and 55% of 65+.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/additionaldata/

Active cases have gone from 7065 on June 1 to 12404 as of today June 22.

Hospitalizations in the Houston area have increased about 146% since June 1 from 482 to 1185. They are currently doubling about every 15 days.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  16. PhiSlammaJamma

This is eye opening, I liked, but where are cancer, HIV, Diabetes and heart disease to be fair? And are that many dying people drowning and being murdered. geez. Malaria, still a biotch. The fact that it is blowing away drugs and alcohol and the flue though is a big deal.

#8276 PhiSlammaJamma, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

what's the news on a vaccine? when these scientists getting it done? we need it yesterday ago so hollywood can start making a movie out of this.

18. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'm literally showing Harris County numbers. You arent.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The disclaimer is hard to find on mobile -- I knew it was there somewhere though (had to be).

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Whats your point here? Without getting into which numbers are correct, are you saying this isn’t a real thing or it isn’t an actual problem?