1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets could make a move for Tyler Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Jun 19, 2020.

1. magichat281

magichat281 Member

yup. We need let him go and give that young man an opportunity to play somewhere else.

2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

To be fair, Livingston was #4 overall IIRC who suffered a traumatic knee injury (was talked about as Magic Johnson / Penny Hardaway caliber out of HS)

GG was #18? to Boston out of HS (Htown!)

Whiteside was a top 2nd (I think)... he needed maturity & a big man coach

D. Green & Skip were 2nds

Wood, Covington, & Andersen are good examples tho

3. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I like it if he is healthy. He’s a strong left handed point guard who shoots the 3 at a decent clip and it looks like he has a knack for stealing the ball by his 1 steals per game average.

Westbrook/Rivers/Johnson/Clemons
    Harden/Gordon/McLemore/Frazier

That is a very good group of Guards for the Rockets to take to Orlando. The top 4 are all above average or elite at their position. Johnson will be the 6th best option at that position and chances are that he won’t see any meaningful minutes. Bringing him in would simply give the Rockets another body for practice and an extended opportunity to see how he meshes with the team.

IMO, if the Rockets do sign Johnson, then they would need to then look at bringing one more forward. If he’s healthy then I would really like for them to give Anthony Bennett another chance. I really think that he could give the Rockets another Jeff Green type of player in that he can do a little bit of everything. I was really intrigued with having a front court player with size who could could shoot, rebound and handle the ball. We never got to see him do any of that with the Rockets bc of his injury but I had dreams of a new unlocked offense with him playing the 5.

napalm06 likes this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I would rather go with:

Gerald Green
    (if healthy......6 month injury projection; July would be 8-9 months post injury, I believe)

and

Jonathan Simmons
    (shot 43% from 3 in 15 games of last season with Phi.....shoots well w/good facilitators drawing most of the attention)

Edited: if GGreen is not possible, Quincy Pondexter

#84 ApacheWarrior, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This joke gets so much mileage! :cool:

6. Mr Chuck Norris

Why do we like signing garbage players. This is just like the iman shumpert accusation.

7. foggy94

foggy94 Member

You can literally only sign players who aren’t in the league right now. What do you expect?

Nook likes this.
  8. Mr Chuck Norris

Not to waste our time with players who are garbage.

9. foggy94

foggy94 Member

We’ve had three months of lockdown Im pretty sure the Front Office has had plenty of spare time one it’s hands to evaluate players, don’t worry about it.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Mr Chuck Norris

Tyler Johnson can’t shoot or play defense he’s a terrible basketball player

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Your a terrible basketball player.

D-rock and amaru like this.
  12. Mr Chuck Norris

No u

13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Not sure of the joke here, other than maybe yourself, however Clutch is 100% correct in his statement. We desperately need a backup center.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think Bennett might be the anti-Jeff Green with his extra weight and post injury status.

D-rock likes this.
  15. napalm06

Your mom is Kenneth Faried.

Nook and D-rock like this.
  16. TilmanFinancialWindfall

What happened to him?

17. napalm06

He forgot to play team defense.

Nook likes this.
  18. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Meh.

saleem likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Are you saying that those players did NOT spend an inordinate amount of time in D/G League bouncing around from team to team before making it in NBA?

If Anthony Bennett makes a comeback, should he not be on this list? Bennett has been considered a bust as a former #1 overall pick.

20. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Not at all.... just pointing out some were draft picks (including 1st round draft picks)... means there was already recognition of their NBA talent level.

Shaun would have NEVER been in GLeague, but for knee injury. The others probably needed maturity more than anything else...

Bennett could be on this list. He was - obviously - overdrafted, but he does have some NBA skills (sucks about injury b/c i was excited to see what he can do in Rox system... still am)

D-rock likes this.