1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Season MLE/Sign & Trade Options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Jun 13, 2020.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good heavens. Not worth it all.

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah Horford shouldn’t even be in the discussion.

Jeramy Grant would be walking away from over $9M if he opts out of his player option.

Bruno workout was just posted on B/R (from Kelly Iko twitter).....looks active now that knee feels better.

Christian Wood was a player the Rockets were rumored to be after at the trading deadline. 6’10” and shoots
    3’s would be perfect for what the Rockets are looking for......lanky and long arms that is not too tight in the hips.

raining threes and saleem like this.
  3. saleem

Wood would have been far better than Bruno. Let’s see if he can bring some rebounding/ shot blocking. We need speed and toughness from him. Grant is a pipe dream. Horford’s contract is horrible.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Woos was not available and unlike Bruno would have cost more than just Jordan Bell.

Harry Giles or Nerlens Noel are more realistic MLE targets than Grant.

Grant is likely only attainable by sign and trade combined with EGo and pick.

saleem likes this.
  5. saleem

Thanks for correcting me, regarding Wood. I agree with your analysis.

D-rock likes this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Bruno was coming off an injury and appears to be moving better now. I think he surprises and he makes
    our 10-man rotation (D’Antoni has talked about expanding his playoff roster to 9-men).

The guy can shoot from distance. Looks more confident shooting....that alone gets him out there on the
    court. Moves better now that he trusts that knee and our system makes for greater progress
    defensively.

Rockets didn’t trade for Bruno to sit on the sidelines. We want to see if he will be a part of our future.

#46 ApacheWarrior, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    D-rock and Little Bit like this.
  7. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I agree with all this on House, I was saying that’s where we need to upgrade.

I do think we will need an athletic SF rather than Tucker there, it sounds like we are going to be playing even faster once the season picks back up. Also don’t forget there’s only two corners. Tuck is going to be one, so one of the PFs or ‘center’ has to be on the wing.

D-rock likes this.
  8. saleem

The dunk was pretty good. If he can show nastiness, he can unlock his potential. A flash here and there won’t make any difference.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I wouldn't go that far. The Rockets have options to add Horford if the Sixers decide to move him. He would fill the 5 spot perfectly for the Rockets. The cost would be Gordon and PJ Tucker.

Grant is a very coveted player around the league. He is only 26 years old, is athletic enough to play every position, has a 7'3" wingspan and hits 3's.

Sometimes players do turn the corner, but Bruno has had lots of opportunities around the league.

The Rockets offered a number one pick for Woods and it was declined. I don't see how the Rockets would get him.

Speaking of which, the Rockets offered a number one for Jeremi Grant before last season and the Thunder declined before dealing him to Denver.

Huncho Bean, Deuce, saleem and 2 others like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

This.

The Rockets really need to evaluate what they want to do closely.

saleem, D-rock and raining threes like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Horford contract is too humongous and the Rockets need to look to younger if they truly want a run and gun small-ball.

Grant would be cheaper than Horford.....means his name is still in play as an opt out of player option or SnT

Rockets run a read and react offense that is simplistic in nature when run by Harden/Westbrook. Bruno has never
    had the luxury of such greatness drawing so much attention by his side.

Capela was criticized by other “Bigs” for just setting a screen and rolling to the hoop. Bruno’s role isn’t much different......just a lot more catch and shoot 3’s. Knowing when to dive to the hoop is the only problem
    He has had time to understand this new role and be enlightened to a new aspect on basketball.

I seem to remember Westbrook in the corner 3 spot with Gobert leaving him to help backup the defender
    on Harden......only Westbrook didn’t stay at the 3-point line, instead he traveled down the baseline for an ally op
    dunk on Gobert. Do you think that was all by chance? Or did one or the other give an indicator to the other?
    Tom Brady asks he receivers to give an indicator when they are going to make their break.....basketball players
    sometimes also build enough chemistry......

I’m not giving up on Bruno just yet. Not all flowers blossom or bloom at the same time. Players as well.

P.S. Wood is a free agent. We did right by not giving up a first rd pick for a rental of C Wood’s experience.
    Now we don’t have to give up a pick.....just sign him outright.

#51 ApacheWarrior, Jun 17, 2020
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Horford would be an excellent 5 for the Rockets on both sides of the floor. Yes his contract is large, but that is the only reason he is available. He is still a very valuable player.

Grant has said he intends to opt out. The issue is that there will be a number of teams willing to offer him the full MLE. Also, the Nuggets are not likely to want Eric Gordon.

Bruno struggles with basketball instincts.

Let's hope that he can do that and knows when to properly switch. He has been lost in the past in that regard.

I am not giving up on him, I just do not believe he is likely to succeed based on history...... but sometimes the light bulb turns on for guys.

The Rockets will not be in a position to sign him outright, as he is expected to get more than the MLE and the Pistons have a strong interest in retaining him. On a positive note, Woods is one of those guys that did have the light turn on.

saleem and lilbird20 like this.
  13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Be nice to speculate when we know who will coach. Who will GM. Who will be retained or traded for whomever and for whatever reason.

Will the season even start let alone finish???

Hey, mebbe Kyrie will place a franchise in his new league in Houston???

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I don’t want to get in a debate over this until we come closer to knowing the numbers. What if the players start their own league? What if the players don’t play in Orlando and the owners have a lockout next season to negotiate a new CBA?
    What if the salary cap goes down to $90-$95M? What if the luxury cap remains $130M? A lot of, “what if’s” or variables to consider. 76ers will be $146-ish M team salary to our $131-ish M. They may want to clear payroll
    using a 3-team trade more than us. I don’t think Horford will be coming our way though. George Paul
    and Westbrook were moved using multiple teams though. It could happen again using lesser players as
    many teams are desperate. I shall wait until the smoke clears. I give you the last word.

All I can say is Horford doesn’t look like he can defend positions 1-5 anymore, just 4-5.

And if someone tells me we can afford Horford; then we can afford (swing a deal) any player. Example: Grant

For all I know you were one of the people saying we could never trade CP3......and yet we did.

People here said we would never, or should never trade Capela.....and yet we did.

#54 ApacheWarrior, Jun 17, 2020
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Eric has gone from someone who misses big parts of the season with injuries to someone who plays injured for most of the season.

It seems he's usually an injured player even when he's playing.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

And don't forget that 30-foot wingspan. :eek:

D-rock likes this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We gonna bring back Zhou Qi to shut down KD next year?

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No to Al Horford...

Yes to career scrubs... Bruno, Wood o_O:D

Let’s grab Anthony Randolph too eh?

19. saleem

Yes, this is true. It's alarming to say the least. I hope he will remain fit enough to play for short periods till the end of the season.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

raining threes likes this.