1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

2. Major

Major Member

According to WorldOMeters, the Texas daily high for new cases was around 2400... and now 3900 today.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

@Nook @Cokebabies @txtony and @everyone else interested in Fauci's evolved POV:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/05/outdated-fauci-video-on-face-masks-shared-out-of-context/

^ You talking about this?

There's a whole excerpt of dialogue in which Fauci attempts to clarify his statements, which I'll let everyone else click on and read, but:

I'd chalk it up to Fauci (and the field of science?) not knowing everything there is to know about the virus, yet needing to make statements as to how to proceed.

Nook likes this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I just checked when you posted and now 30 mins later, its jumped up to 4,412..... WTF?

conquistador#11 and Major like this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

What Great news!
    Saved 1/3 of patients in ventilators in a huge double blind trial with 95% confidence.
    This will make the mortality go down significantly and most importantly it is cheap and widely available. Not like the very expensive arthritis drugs.
    Of course we will have to see in what condition the lungs of the patients end up because if they require transplant then it only delays the inevitable.
    Anyway great news that could save hundreds of thousands of lives.

Thats the kind of drug we can count on to save us, cheap available and old.

conquistador#11 and No Worries like this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

we went from publicly shaming (and calling the cops) on some dudes training for football, to embracing and making excuses for massive outdoor cramped gatherings.

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I prescribe Dexamethasone all the time before I do any kind of surgery on a patient, primary as a prophylactic anti-inflammatory. I assure you this is not a magic pill

8. malakas

malakas Member

Oh of course. It probably works for cytocine storms only but nonetheless it is much better that the other alternatives we are trying now like tocilizumab that costs like 800$ and arent even widely available.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Football is very dangerous.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You need to dig deeper and look for the details regarding which counties. Tiny population counties like Anderson reported 887 new cases today. Why? Because there are many prisons there and they all shared their accumulated numbers today. Very low chance any of those folks die due to skewing younger and more fit than the rest of society. Likely many asymptotic and or only mild conditions.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Already posted ... curious what we will see over the next few days. Protest bump starting?

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It will be interesting to see where things go but hospitalizations did continue to increase today

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/additionaldata/

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I don’t know the answer to this, but I suspect testing and hospitalizations are correlated. Note I didn’t say cases and hospitalizations, but rather testing. My thought is the more people find out they have covid, the more likely they are to go to the hospital. I suspect before tests ramped up, many people had it, but didn’t go to the hospital.

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

it's not hydroxychloroquine so this's a good thing

it might help some ARDS patients ONLY ,for others ,"suppressing the immune system/inflammation contraindicative...will "worsen their situation

15. elrond

elrond Member

Just passed another milestone. More Americans have now died due to Covid than in WW1. Quite sobering to me that a disease can cause more deaths than a multi-year world war in less than half a year's time.

Nook and conquistador#11 like this.
  16. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Forevaa. I think they’re declaring bankruptcy. Only keeping open a few locations

17. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Yea might as well cancel. I’m not driving more than 30 minutes away. They’ve always had crappy customer service and overpriced rates anyway.

It’s pretty asinine that they didn’t allow members to freeze their accounts like every other gym.

B-Bob likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If it's not a vaccine (or serious effective treatment), we are looking at massive death then. It depends on the real IFR (infected fatality rate) and R (how many ppl need to be infected to reach herd immunity)... we probably are talking about a range of 500k-3M death in the US alone.

But the evidences so far elsewhere in the world is... it can still be contained.

19. elrond

elrond Member

The problem is that most of the places that are able to contain it are using methods not palatable to the american public. Usually it's some combination of social distancing (hahah, yeah right), mask wearing (we know how that's going), and contact tracing (privacy!). So yeah, basically the US is screwed.

Nook likes this.
  20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I don't think it can be contained without wrecking the economy. Globalism has pretty much killed that as well as modern life. Look at New Zealand...completely eradicated the virus and then BOOM...travelers from the UK unleash it again. The UK has been on total lockdown for months...what happens when they reopen and travelers start coming back? I go there 4x per year for my job alone and look at Houston...while I may social distance and keep myself safe taking precautions, what about all of the other Texans, Americans, etc as well as people from other countries? I think as long as there are cases out there, not much we can do but try to take precautions and hope individually that we don't get it. Sucks.

conquistador#11 likes this.