1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Expect the NBA back playing by mid/late June with 10 reg season games before POs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2020.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

"Kyrie" and "theory" should never appear together in the same sentence.

2. riko

riko Member

Kyrie has nothing to lose. He is injured and has already made millions. His stance would have had more merit if he was healthy and not made so much cash.

To fight the social injustices would be easier with a national audience to adress during after game presses or even during halftime. Do it while you’re u have a audience

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, I'm another black folk that hates Kyrie's stance. I won't call him dumb but his stance is pretty foolish.

Entertainment, NBA, is always a distraction from more serious issues.

He just knows his team has no shot at winning, he's hurt, he's making millions, so he has nothing at all to lose. This year for the Nets has always been void so in his mind the sooner it's over the better.

4. amaru

amaru Member

That sounds good and all but, to this point, the NBA brass has released absolutely no plans on how they would address this. This is a tough situation where neither side is completely right or wrong. There are two things that we can pretty much admit right up front: 1)The return of NBA games will most likely have a negative effect on momentum of the movement 2) It’s unrealistic and unfair to expect players to risk their livelihoods in these uncertain times.

Howard’s comments seem to be coming from a place of genuine concern for others. Rivers’s comments seem to be splitting to gap between concern for others and self. Comments from guys like Perkins, Beverley, etc seem to be mostly about self preservation. None of these perspectives are wrong, they are what they are. It’s easier to be altruistic when it costs you less.
    As for Kyrie’s comments.....well that’s anyone’s guess.

My gut feeling is that the NBA returns under the current proposed guidelines and certain parts of the media will shift their attention to less important topics like seeding, championships, legacy etc. How much of an effect this will have on the push for social reform is debatable, but I can see a lot of people getting distracted and falling off. Hopefully I’m won’t, but we’ll see what happens.

#944 amaru, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    daywalker02 likes this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

You are correct, this is likely at play for Kyrie. However, this doesn’t apply to Howard. The Lakers are arguably the favorite and he has to know that a ring would change the perception of him, at least somewhat. Howard’s statement seems more genuine of the two.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Cyberx has been a great resource to the GARM for years, but I think we can finally put the nail in the coffin in the fact that what he hears is not set in stone Gospel truth. It's great to hear... but it is second or third hand rumor.

Still... nothing wrong with spilling the beans with what you hear. Just don't want folks to run to vegas with these sourced predictions.

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Not sure if this is the right thread to go there. He’s been pretty spot on this time.

D-rock likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah that's true for Howard and he's also going against his team leader, Lebron, who clearly wants to play.

Honestly, I've never really liked Kyrie, always seemed like a sneaky kind of dude.

9. amaru

amaru Member

Avery Bradley is apparently going against LBJ’s wishes as well.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, that post was bizarre. Cyber's intel was spot on, and it came at a time when the consensus view was that sports in 2020 were doomed. He even nailed the regular season component before the playoffs.

It's happening in late July rather than late June, but that's completely understandable given all the moving parts. The point is, just as he said, the league is resuming, and the restart will include a significant amount of regular-season games, too.

D-rock, King1 and amaru like this.
  11. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Howard was just on CNN with Don Lemon.

Lemon asked how many NBA players have he spoke with and he said, "Just a couple. Just mainly Kyrie and he convinced me we shouldn't play. Kyrie really convinced me we shouldn't play till this problem is solved. "

So Kyrie really convinced one guy!

Then Lemon asked him if the NFL should hire Kap and apologize to Kap and Dwight, "I don't know no nuthin about the NFL. I don't make decision for anyone else. I just know I'm tired of this and my family is hurt by this and I 'm not playing till this is solved."

There you have it. He has no opinion on the guy who was blacklisted from playing...the one guy who guy up his career and Dwight doesn't care

D-rock likes this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's interesting though because...

If Dwight and Bradley won't play those are some pretty big misses for the Lakers. Not star players but missing a role player or two can be a huge difference against another elite team.

13. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I put a "nail in the coffin" years ago regarding what he says tbh

GradyMcTracy and IBTL like this.
  14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Wasn't Howard begging a team to give him a chance to play before the season started? Now he wants to sit? Drama queen

D-rock likes this.
  15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

His baby momma DIED from Covid. I don't blame him... (and I'm certainly not a Howard apologist after he openly quit on us)

16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

She didn't die from COVID

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

No she didn’t

18. dobro1229

Bizarre? It's mid June now, and I'm not Woj but I'm pretty sure nothing is officially scheduled yet. I get the wishful thinking but man.... I think folks here often just hear what they want to hear. As I said, I'm glad to hear what he is hearing, but the reality check is just that.... the world isn't just going to snap back and life is back as normal with sports, buffalo wild wings, and tail gating. The NBA is being ambitious in trying like hell to make this happen, but 2020 just isn't the year that'll let anything normal happen the way it wants to happen.

wahh wahhh... I know. Sorry. I'll never turn down a Cyberx sourced piece of info, but we all know by now that reality is what it is, and not what we hope it to be most of the time.... still... I hope one day to be wrong in my pessimism for sure.

I hope like hell I'm wrong and the NBA starts back up this month. It would be an amazing surprise.

#958 dobro1229, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  19. dobro1229

Sounds about like Dwight...

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Other 'elite' teams are going to suffer injuries due to not playing pro ball for an extended time.

8 games before playoffs are like preseason....not much tbh.