1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Variety] Westbrook to produce docuseries about 1921 Tulsa race massacre

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Russ is a different breed. On TV, I think he's just sick of stupid questions or being attacked for not being the perfect basketball player and he's not afraid to show it for the most part. But when you realize just about everybody behind-the-scenes that knows him backs him up or would go to war with him, you know he's not like that all the time. He's probably a cool dude "in real life". The problem is, we only saw his on-going war with the media, which is maybe 10% of his life, while "nice Russ", which is the other 90% of his life, is somewhere behind-the-scenes.

Deckard, dc rock and JumpMan like this.
  2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He also seems rather intelligent, thoughtful, and logical off the court. At least from the little that he reveals.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I heard somebody mention it in passing in a Youtube video a few years ago. Before that, I knew nothing about this. It wasn’t mentioned in school. I don’t know a single person who learned about this in school.

stuff like this also doesn’t get mentioned in schools

When many Americans think of the birth of the civil-rights movement, they may think of event in the mid-1960s or just before that decade. But in fact, one of the earliest headline-grabbing demonstrations for civil rights took place a century ago this Friday.

The story had begun weeks earlier, when two plainclothes detectives in an unmarked Model T in East St. Louis, Ill., were shot by black citizens. In the aftermath, on July 2, 1917, a mob of white residents went after African Americans in the city, resulting in the deaths of at least 48 residents — 38 of them black men, women and children — and injury to hundreds more, as people were clubbed and pulled off streetcars. Buildings were set on fire, racking up $373,000 in damages (which would be almost $7 million in 2016) by some counts.

As it turned out, the people who shot at the undercover cops had mistaken their car for one of the many Model Ts driven by whites who had been going through black neighborhoods throughout that springtime, shooting at the windows of their homes and stores. Around that time, fake news stories were running in local newspapers, containing inaccurate reports of African Americans committing crimes including rape says Harper Barnes, a former critic for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and author of Never Been A Time: The 1917 Race Riot That Sparked The Civil Rights Movement. As a result of those events, African Americans had been armed out of self defense.

or this

American servicemen returned from the First World War only to find a new type of violent conflict waiting for them at home. An outbreak of racial violence known as the “Red Summer” occurred in 1919, an event that affected at least 26 cities across the United States.

Racial tensions across the U.S. were exacerbated by the discharge of millions of military personnel back to their homes and domestic lives following the end of the war. Competition for opportunities in postwar America combined with a radically changed social landscape placed whites and blacks in conflict with one another, leading to tragic results.

World War I intensified the Great Migration, the mass emigration of African Americans from the rural South to the industrial North and Midwest in hopes of escaping the poverty and discrimination of Jim Crow laws. By the summer of 1919, approximately 500,000 African Americans had resettled in northern cities. In many cases, northern whites—many of them newly arrived immigrants themselves—did not welcome black newcomers.

The summer of 1919 is known as the “Red Summer”....hundreds of African Americans were killed all across America, and even more homes and businesses were destroyed

bulkatron likes this.
  4. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Oh sweet we've gone political.

Since we are making this a political forum do you know what Trumps argument on why he doesn't want people to kneel on the national anthem? What exactly changed when Obama was in office for 8 years other than more racial divide? Why did Obama engage in political justice reform for ticky tack and disparaging drug offenses particularly targeted the black community the way Trump has, the bill that Biden and Clinton championed. What exactly do you know of the black lives matter movement and the foreign agitators who infest it and why do they do so? Why hasn't Westbrook spoken out on black on black killings in black neighborhoods everyday which happen at an unprecedented rate, a rate that far exceeds insane acts trash cops like the ones in the Floyd case.

Hopefully you will also be speaking out for the people in cases like this who get no justice.

While I agree Trump is not even close to the most eloquent of speakers and could be doing better with trying to unite the country, he is far from a mad man. When it comes to actual governance, while not perfection, he has done really well.

CALI_MOST_WANTD likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

delusional Trump supporter at its finest...Lord have mercy

Deckard and Patience like this.
  6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

True. Anyone that reads up and comes to a conclusion other than yours is clearly delusional.

CALI_MOST_WANTD likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

judging by what u just posted, u definitely are

8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Yeah for sure. I like how you dissected what I said piece by piece came up with an inarguable counterpoints to each of mine.

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there's a major story line in Dennis Lehane's (Gone Baby Gone, Mystic River) novel The Given Day about the Tulsa Massacre and Black Wall Street. it's a great book:

Deckard likes this.
  10. pdee

pdee Member

I got time today...you really want us to think you're so smart right? That's always the high ground folks take when trying to justify other unrefined people like yourself and their unrefined buddies. Now the world is calling folks with this mindset out- I know you and people like you have taken notice. "inarguable counterpoints" blah blah blah...my guy- you're not as smart as you think. If you and your faction are truly as smart as you want us to believe...why not evolve. The world is, time for you too.

I wont respond, don't waste time trying to encourage me to come up with fancy "inarguable counterpoints". Just work on evolving buddy- with your boundless knowledge, I'm sure you know what happens to those who don't.

11. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Actually believe it or not I don't really care what you think about me. You know nothing about me so I find it interesting how you are trying to tell me to "evolve". Not sure what assumptions you are making but its definitely based on nothing. I find it interesting that you say "I got time today..." but even you didn't offer any sort of counter argument about what I said, you just attacked me as a person, which I guess is what you default to in any sort of debate.

12. CALI_MOST_WANTD

There always some idiot with TDS that has to tell everyone how much they think that orange man bad. They are delusional.

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

I'm looking forward to this coming out Russ is taking on a big project with this.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

C'mon, DD, you know you liked the January/February 2020 version of Russ.

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So...should we act like this guy during the anthem?

Deckard likes this.
  17. fattz

fattz Member

I am saddened by the information presented; yet happy that a basketball player is using his platform to make a difference in worldly views. For so long we have seen players self-fulfillment and do other selfish things as they assumed a leadership role. Westbrook is just as good of person as player. I have complained about the overpay to obtain his services but having “real” people around the organization has a value that is beyond monetary.

Deckard likes this.
  18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

This is a cool thing and its a horrific part of American history and the story needs to be told.

Deckard likes this.
  19. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Trump must have recognized this date and saw WB's project and decided to hold a Rally today in Tulsa and celebrate 1921.

"
    “Tulsa is outraged,” said Sherry Gamble Smith, president of Tulsa’s Black Wall Street Chamber of Commerce, an organization named after the prosperous black community that white Oklahomans burned down in the 1921 attack. Tulsans marked the 99th anniversary of what was one of modern America’s bloodiest rampages targeting black communities a week ago.

“To choose the date, to come to Tulsa, is totally disrespectful and a slap in the face to even happen,” Gamble Smith said.

At a minimum, Gamble Smith said, the campaign should “change it to Saturday the 20th, if they’re going to have it.”
    Oklahoma’s black Democratic Party state chairwoman also condemned Trump’s rally plan. “A day set aside to commemorate the freedom of enslaved people must not be marred by the words or actions of a racist president,” Alicia Andrews said.

Community groups had earlier canceled a main Tulsa Juneteenth celebration because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Some black Tulsans said they planned to turn out for public protests of Trump on that day. “There’s definitely going to be demonstrating,” Gamble Smith said.

Black community and political leaders called on President Donald Trump to at least change the Juneteenth date for a rally kicking off his return to public campaigning, saying Thursday that plans for a rally on the day that marks the end of slavery in America come as a “slap in the face.”

Trump campaign officials defended the rally plan and said Black folks never had it better since Trump has been in office."

Deckard and Jturbofuel like this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This is a great example of using your fame and wealth for good. b****es and money are all well and good but it gets old after a while. Good on Brodie, and the timing couldn’t be better.

Deckard and Jturbofuel like this.