1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How Systemic Racism and Implicit Bias Affects African Americans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This isn't true and I've posted about this in this thread and many times before. Obama created a movement to address this called My Brother's Keeper based on research - that kids who get mentorship dramatically are less likely to ever be incarcerated.

To change society you have to break the cycle of the poor having a mentality that traps them into poverty. Boys & Girls clubs across this country are proof of what mentorship can do. I've seen kids who come from broken homes often with abuse, drugs, and missing parents in terrible poverty become working professionals. How? Because they would spend just a few hours after school at Boys & Girls clubs where they got the guidance they needed in life to change everything.

To say there isn't much politicians can do here doesn't make sense. We don't have any politician proposing a national mentorship program for kids. Not a single one. Why is that? It's cheaper than UBI. and has a positive ROI when you consider the cost of incarceration compared to the cost of mentorship.

Yet no one is proposing these ideas. There are solutions - but it's not sexy nor easy to do. But it is effective.

#141 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Exiled, joshuaao, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  2. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

See this is what it is like to have a great conversation without the usual trolling from certain members. Thanks for everyone involved.

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

education is a luxury in cases of abject poverty.

4. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

You are like the whiniest, cheapest, most annoying soyboy beta male on this board. You trying to act like a damn bully but you failed miserably at that, so you’re resorting to taking cheap pot shots. Stop following me around and contribute to this board you cheapskate!
    BTW- what you are calling a great conversation is nothing but liberal circle jerk piling on. Your favorites are: Orange man is bad, he’s the devil, conservatives are racists and evil, people have different opinions than you are trolls. That’s just basically covered it. Stop being an emotional little tofu, go join the military and grow some chest hair.

#144 generalthade_03, Jun 5, 2020
  5. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

how old are you?

6. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

This is only time I will reply to you directly in this thread as I don’t want to derail the thread further. A person who uses god to troll is no man at all. Btw @Space Ghost is far from being a liberal. But the difference between you two is he not a troll.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. generalthade_03

Again, what’s with the God troll? Someone uses God in a way that does not suit your twisted mind and to you they’re trolling? Like I’ve said, grow some chest hair soyboy and stop the pot shot, you are best to ignore me because I have seen your kind on this board before, you bully other posters until they just go away, you won’t be able to doing that to this old vet, if I catch you pot shot me somewhere else on this board, it’s on again, I have dealt with punks like you before, hit them one time and they will run just like you to your mommy and cry. You look like the punk that I was describing if you continue, real men settled their beef like real men.

#147 generalthade_03, Jun 5, 2020
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya @Space Ghost is from my understanding from engaging with him in the past and conservative/libertarian leaning through and through. I disagree with space ghost on many issues.

It's just that we know he posts in good faith where a genuine discussion can happen.

jiggyfly and AleksandarN like this.
  9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the court of law?

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those sound like good ideas and am for things like mentorship. That helps but isn't a solution to all of these problems. I've done mentorship and also worked on development projects in economically disadvantaged neighborhoods. All of that helps but this problem is very deep seated. It's not just lack of mentorship, broken homes, drugs, lack of economic opportuny, implicit bias, etc.. it's all of those things.

Just look at George Floyd's life. How many issues did he have to deal with and the capper was getting killed by LE publicly with none of the other LEO doing a thing.

RayRay10 and Space Ghost like this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What's more depressing is Trump thinks that the 400 years of history and the effects from said history these poor Urban black communties are magically solved from BLS unemployment numbers.

As if when we had that "all time record low unemployment" months back someone magically solved the horrible school conditions in these neighborhoods or the lack of healthcare was solved or the lack of a stable household was solved.

Those poor communties were still suffering when unemployment was at 4%.

It shows how trivial Trump treats this systemic problem in this country where he can wave a magic hand and pretend these issues are solved with low unemployment numbers.

AleksandarN likes this.
  12. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

He is trying to bait people into replying just ignore the troll.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and RayRay10 like this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The problem is incredibly deep-seeded and mentorship is easy to dismiss because most people have an image of an once an hour a week meeting of some kind. But the kind of mentorship these kids need is daily and consistent over years (it takes 3 years for a child to trust an adult) - when done in that matter these kids have a surrogate family from which they learn the right life skills they are not getting at home.

You can't fix broken homes. That's part of society and the choices people make. You can't solve the economics of poor neighborhoods as the money simply isn't there and the political will isn't there. You can reform police but even that is a symptom of a deeper issue. Adult programs are great but often too little too late. You can't stop racism.

Instead you have to uplift people in an efficient way. And this is by focusing on the children because that is where you can have impact, break the cycle of generations, and save lives. Children are still at an age where they can be influenced and shaped. No matter what people say, a college education is still the best ticket to financial stability. But to get there you have to start with children who aren't able to learn because they don't have the support system in place to encourage them and help them navigate a very challenging upbringing.

There are 11 million children living in poverty in this nation. The vast majority of those kids will have kids who also live in poverty. The cost to society of that when you consider lost tax revenue, the cost of incarceration, and the cost of welfare, health care, etc - is enormous.

The cost to provide those kids with an after school program where they have constant mentorship and guidance is a fraction of that. And by doing this you lower crime, poverty and most of all, stigmas about race. Imagine if in 20 years the crime rate drops to a quarter of what it is now? If you see black doctors as common as Indian doctors. If it becomes common place to see blacks in positions of high regard, then opinions of society will change.

Make a commitment to have all 11 million children ages 5-17 have daily mentorship through after school care and weekends and you can break this cycle.

#153 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jun 5, 2020
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I agree, I have found not been found of his posts and there is no love lost between us. But I am going to give any poster props for an excellent post no matter how much we've butted heads in the past.

RayRay10 and AleksandarN like this.
  15. generalthade_03

Still acting like a little female dog? I’m telling you, you’re not gonna win this sissy game you’re playing. Act like a man and grow a pair.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am a teacher in a area that is mostly rural and poor and when we shut down 40% of students had no internet access or laptops.

Yes they have phones but not internet access you really don't know much about poor people do you?

I am black and have worked with the poor people for many years, so yeah I know what they have and don't have.

How ignorant can you be.

Space Ghost and RayRay10 like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Can you back up this claim. Who gives a **** anyway. They have insurance and doctors for free. Not all doctors. So what?

Beggars can't be choosers

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What?

Did you read the link?

So what indeed.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I had trouble opening but now that I've read it says the data's inclusive. Thanks for wasting more of my precious little God given time.