1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Christian holding a Bible

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Unfortunately, I've heard right wing Christians, while holding back tears, saying it was a beautiful moment. The thing is, a lot of people still don't really know what's going on, they just see what hits their cycle. There's a whole segment of people out there that only see the looting, then the bibles.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Mattis is important. He has actual clout and respect from neo-conservative right wing circles. This has really made many conservatives who support Trump who served in the Marine Corps second guess their support from Trump.

Mattis didn't just criticize an action of Trump. He went full "Trump does Nazi type ****". I never expected Mattis to be this strong in his rejection of Trump. I expected criticism from him but to flat out say Trump is a danger to the US Constitution is really making some Trump voters question themselves. Some.... I don't know if it's enough.

joshuaao and Nook like this.
  3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Agreed, I honestly believe nothing he does will turn off his base.......and I mean nothing. November cannot get here fast enough, I am to the oint where I want ANYONE but Trump, Biden is not my first pick but I will vote for him

dmoneybangbang, pirc1 and RayRay10 like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I know Marine vets that are part of his base. Some of them, not all of them really are confused right now with Mattis' statement. For the past decade, these men have praised and worshiped Mattis. This is the first time I've seen them waver in their support of Trump.

pirc1, JuanValdez and Nook like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

There is no question that Mattis matters, especially to those in the military. He crushed Trump in very clear and strong terms.

However, he is currently not in the current political system...... i.e. a current cabinet member or prominent Senator so as far as the actual Washington cycle goes, I am not sure how much impact it will have. We do see a couple of purple Republicans now asking questions and testing the water though.

Also to be clear, what Mattis penned was incredibly effective and well done. I do not doubt that it will have some impact at the ballot box, if nothing else it may keep some veterans from voting at all when they normally would have voted for Trump.

B-Bob, RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Good call on Sasse. Not surprised that Will criticized Trump. But what he said was that he wanted all Republicans to lose for abetting him.

I don't expect that to happen. But I think the outsider conservatives are still important as a sort of lead indicator -- not that they will have significant impacts on changing people's minds, but that their political calculus of choosing to speak aloud will reflect a broader sentiment that may still be unspoken. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I actually did not read the article did not know about him wanting all Republicans to lose.

That was different.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

I always need a dictionary nearby to read his columns, but he says in part:

"In life's unforgiving arithmetic, we are the sum of our choices. Congressional Republicans have made theirs for more than 1,200 days. We cannot know all the measures necessary to restore the nation's domestic health and international standing, but we know the first step: Senate Republicans must be routed, as condign punishment for their Vichyite collaboration, leaving the Republican remnant to wonder: Was it sensible to sacrifice dignity, such as it ever was, and to shed principles, if convictions so easily jettisoned could be dignified as principles, for ... what? Praying people should pray, and all others should hope: May I never crave anything as much as these people crave membership in the world's most risible deliberative body."

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I will not stand by and allow the girls holding the BLM signs to be mistreated by the Trump government -- I trust them completely -- NOT GUILTY!

Edit: Why did they change the picture?

#310 KingCheetah, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    RayRay10 and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Is this for real?

dmoneybangbang and RayRay10 like this.
  12. lpbman

lpbman Member

13. PeppermintCandy

Yeah, there's definitely not going to be a sudden mass exodus, but even a small percentage of people jumping ship could affect of the outcome of this election. Because of this, I think the Trump campaign will probably focus on his base even more.

Paul / Graham / Rubio have too much invested in Trump and have defended this administration with too much fervor to shift allegiance easily. It would take an even bigger f*** up by Trump, but if that happened, what they say wouldn't matter anyways.

14. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Speaking of kfc.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To get to his photo op.

Nook, Buck Turgidson, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

But, but...I thought they wanted all churches open

16. NewRoxFan

17. NewRoxFan

Well, it only took five days for the Park Service to own up and admit that American's were gassed in order for trump to have his photo op in front of the church and holding the bible.

US Park Police: It was a “mistake” to say no tear gas was used in Lafayette Square
    A spokesperson again said that only smoke canisters and pepper balls were used, but acknowledged that saying “tear gas” was not used was seen as misleading.
    https://www.vox.com/2020/6/5/21281604/lafayette-square-white-house-tear-gas-protest

Blatz, RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The first step seems to be to just step back and stop aggressively defending everything he does. If some of these guys dont want to be "turncoats" or whatever, the first step to preserving some dignity is to just step away. If his apologists just said "no comment" 20 times in a row, that would speak loudly.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. JuanValdez

They're still not sorry they did it, though.

vlaurelio and RayRay10 like this.
  20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I waded through this whole thread and the only picture of a Christian holding a bible was Nancy Pelosi. She os triggerowned'em...

RayRay10 likes this.