1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Systemic Racism and Implicit Bias Affects African Americans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 4, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why do you think?

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Actually, social mobility is low and has been for quite some time in this country. The great American dream is a lie. Sure SOME do, but it's not an all the time thing, this whole idea that anyone can just pull themselves up with hard work is a flat out lie. A lot of poor people barely have days off and live paycheck to paycheck.

When you combine that flattening social mobility with cases like I siad, the G.I Bill and also housing discrimination, it then makes sense why black americans don't have much social mobility because the country as a whole struggle with it.

Because the American Dream doesn't exist. It does for the talented few, the exceptional people that can play a sport, sing a song, have inherent intelligence, or just be plain lucky...but for the average person they will not do much more if anything than their parents have.

It then explains why white americans do better...because there is really not this social mobility where people can just will themselves out of a bad spot because if it were so easy, more people would do it.

fchowd0311, RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  3. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

That’s funny man. I’m a shade under six foot and I can still throw down on a 10’ rim despite my advancing age. I played all competitive sports growing up but believe it or not, volleyball or beach volleyball helps me the most with my verts. I still trained my legs with plyometrics at least 3 times per week.

4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Are all these people you talk about that have low social mobility coming from a double parent household?

5. Severe Rockets Fan

I gave an origin I read that pointed towards welfare that I don't so much believe could be the whole thing, but also asked if someone had a reason that was more realistic I'd love to hear it...do you have anything to add?

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Yep, more have smart phones and access to it than you think. Some cheaep smart Phones are $40 these days, used ones are probably cheaper you... think they don't have money for that? You really don't think that much of black people do you? They're capable of much more than you think man.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Social mobility for the entire country. That includes, whites, asians, period. The country as a whole struggle with it.

If you are born poor it is likely you will remain poor, no matter your race.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

Good video OP.

9. Severe Rockets Fan

They do it on the video...check them out...literally 2 hours, maybe? If a mom working her tough day comes home to cook for her kids every day, I'd imagine she'd spend more than 2 hours over 7 days cooking.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

conservatives: the 1% are like kids we cant expect them to not get constant govt bailouts / govt welfare and be responsible

11. Severe Rockets Fan

You sound like you'd be an amazing inspirational speaker. Life must seem really shitty to you man. So go ahead and show me where I can look @ what you saw that told you mostly everyone fails to succeed in life.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right, and I've given the solution to how you change that because it is part of the cycle. You act like this is a separate problem when it is not. It's all one problem.

13. Severe Rockets Fan

Did you tell it to me? I didn't see anything except you saying that the single moms can't mentor their kids because they're busy keeping the household...what was the solution? Honestly, I didn't see what you said.

14. Severe Rockets Fan

Interesting. So desegregation was essential the first block that destroyed black society? That sounds really ironic...and I dunno...it suggests that successful blacks left and the left over was 'crap?(yikes)' that couldn't take care of themselves or make good decisions. If this holds true then the war on drugs when black dealers were getting their own people strung out on drugs was also a product of the 'brain drain'. Honestly man, that's the first time I've heard heard anything like that. Thanks.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Success is defined by each individual person, so I'm not saying mostly everyone fails. A lot of people have no issues making 50k a year, as long as they are comfy and can send their kids to school, I'd say at a personal glance most people would be content with that...that's another point though.

I'm only talking about the realities since you made a claim that most people make it out of bad situations and that what made America so great was that point..when America has fallen behind other countries in that metric, that's just...the truth. Most people just stay in their brackets.

There's...a lot of study about this, I don't have the expertise to point out one and go here you go.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aparna...her-metric-of-economic-mobility/#526f17a66a7b

This is a good article about it though. The only point here is the idea that the American Dream is alive and well, I'm not sure the data agrees with that point. It exists in other countries, if you're born poor, it's a good chance you will remain poor.

So my argument is that this cycle has continued for black americans for decades and efforts at rising up the ladder have been smacked down by systemic racism, see G.I. Bill, see the long history of housing discrimination...

There's also a lot of other factors, War on Drugs a big one, as yes, having two parent households is a benefit, but I do think history has to be reckoned with and I think it is naive to throw aside history that isn't even 100 years old.

RayRay10, Nook and mdrowe00 like this.
  17. Severe Rockets Fan

Thanks, I'll check it out.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I stated it early in this thread, we need to build a mentorship program for kids who are disenfranchised from a strong family life. Any kid in this country - that's how you break the cycle. And the investment in that will produce an ROI because for every kid you provide mentorship, you save 10x that in terms of the cost to society in terms of the criminal justice sysem and societal cost, not to mention when that kid grows up as a productive member of society and is more success and thus pays more in taxes.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’m 30, and looking at my friends growing up most of us do about the same or slightly better than our parents. So I’d agree.

There are a few exceptions. I know some that way overachieved and some that grew up upper middle class and are now in and out of jail. But majority are doing just about the same. Crap most are in the same/similar fields as their parents.

RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  20. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

There’s a video of Jessie Waters going to the black neighborhood in Harlem debunking the myth that black people don’t have access to the internet. That segment was hilarious because unanimously, black people was thoroughly ticked off that liberals think they don’t have access to internet, some of them outright called it racism on the liberals for thinking so lowly of black people, and I wholeheartedly agree with them. Liberal logic, lol.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.