1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Name an interesting fact you found out during the quarantine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RKREBORN, Apr 28, 2020.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Restaurant Delivery services ...

We usually just call the restaurant directly and pick it up ourself.

But his one restaurant has limited parking, so we used a service instead of fighting for a parking space.

Afterwards, I noticed that most menu items form the service were $1+ more expensive (than if I had directly made the order).

The service also charged the following:
    * service fee
    * delivery fee
    * driver tip

I wonder if they realized how bad this looks and just don't care.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

I didn't know bananas naturally have seeds and look like this. I mean, never thought about it. It makes sense. Fruit. Seeds. But who knew. Genetic Engineers and farmers said not on my watch.

"Also. It's awfully hard to extract juice from bananas, even though they're 80% water. Have you ever tried squeezing one? Their molecular structure is just not very squeezable. The currently available banana juice is blended banana, not squeezed banana. Which is, obviously, cheating. But for some reason, Indian atomic scientists are trying to find a way to extract juice from banana. Yeah, atomic scientists. From the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre. Go figure. "

[​IMG]

boomboom, Invisible Fan and Yung-T like this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

It pisses me off. I think restaurants markup higher on their menu because they get charged a service fee for using the service as well. I usually build up my order and just end up staring at the basket, cause $15 of food has a $8 delivery fee on it.

No Worries likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Yung-T likes this.
  5. No Worries

6. HTM

HTM Member

I've never used a food delivery app. I always just call the restaurant or order straight from the restaurant online. I always go get it myself. It seems the delivery apps suck for the restaurants, the foods more expensive for the consumer and they don't treat the drivers great.

Pre-Rona I always tried to eat at the restaurant too whenever I could. I find the food is usually much better when it hasn't been sweating in styrofoam for 15-30 minutes.

arkoe, ROCKSS and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

8. Xerobull

Like everything else, buying in bulk saves money. I buy for the whole family and it's the same fee, but a much smaller %. So next time, buy a few more pounds of fries.

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'll use them ocassionally for pickup orders because I don't really want to sign a receipt or deal with payment while picking up now. If they don't have their own website I can pay through I'll do pick up through one of the apps knowing I'm probably paying a little extra and make sure I still leave a good sized tip.

There are a lot of things I won't order to go though because I know I'll never get them reheated or tasting right at home. Do miss eating in restaurants.

No Worries likes this.
  10. No Worries

Don't you order your foo from the UberEats, DoorDash, GrubHub et al web site? I had assume that the delivery service chose the price. FAIK the restaurant agrees to the price bump as their part of the service fee. :confused:

11. donkeypunch

It would be on the food delivery service website and Im sure thats the agreement between the 2 parties to compensate for something, but I saw a special report on 60 mins(IIRC) a few years back that some of the smaller restaurants in NYC were getting charged upwards of 20% of their sales total and sent directly to a company like a grubhub or ubereats.

No Worries likes this.
  12. Xerobull

So there was an arbitrage website just passing the sale on to the big boys? Brilliant.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Katy Tur is blessed.

1:50 mark

gatsby, KingCheetah and Deckard like this.
  14. Aware

Aware Member

Ahmad Rashad is 70.
    That **** blew my mind.

boomboom likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

Summer Sanders could still get it

Aware likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

They don’t care.

To many people it is well worth it for the convenience.

I don’t mind driving and picking up food or going into a restaurant and eating.

However for some people the convenience Of delivery (even at the cost) is a huge deal. My wife uses it constantly. It is more expensive but I have seen her do it for coffee or ice cream or any number of things.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good lord! She has grown! Must be the kid she had. Didn't she have a baby recently? She had an excellent figure, but not like that. :eek:

I've learned that there is curbside pickup done well, and there is curbside pickup done terribly. We live pretty close to two excellent restaurants in Southwest Austin, Mandola's great Italian food, and Evangeline's Cajun wonderfulness. Evangeline's? They made sure that everything was done in advance, including asking if we wanted to give a tip (we did, of course - same as if we'd eaten there). The waitress came out wearing a mask and holding the bag of goodness at arm's length. She even asked we'd prefer if she set it on the ground and that she walked back inside. At this point, they were still not serving inside. In other words, she was great. Hell, it's a great place to eat and have a Turbodog ale or 2 or 3, along with a bowl of gumbo or fried shrimp with dirty rice (or both!).

Mandola's? A guy comes out wearing a mask holding the bag of food and then holds out a receipt we need to sign. Of course, it had a blank spot for a tip. My significant other had to roll down her window, fill out the rest of the ticket (we had paid in advance over the phone, we thought) and give it back to the fellow, who stood by the window the entire time. Not cool! We weren't happy about that at all. A shame, because their food is terrific. We intend to do it again tomorrow, but will make sure that doesn't happen again. Just to be clear, we're both in the "high risk" group and were wearing masks at both places.

Two places with excellent food, two different experiences.

18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Nice, now throw some cold water on those milk giving mammary glands...:D

Deckard likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Literally... Out of Control

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. No Worries

I think that she has always been sporting those D cups.