1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

lol 31 years ago

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump is responding to a right wing washington examiner reporter who is reporting on how polls show Biden well in the lead (but tries to find a glimmer of hope saying trump defenders are 13% more devoted)... trump argues he is leading in unnamed polls and that he leads in some mythical "enthusiasm" polling. Best part... trump refers to himself as "trump"... as if the quotes mean he is just as "made up" as his polling...

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that Biden support is broad but soft. We see it even here in how many on both Left and Right continue to criticize Biden and continue to bring up things like how he is suffering dementia even as they say they plan on voting for him. Trump does have the more dedicated supporters and that core of between 30-35% of the electorate that really supports he is right probably wouldn't abandon him even if he shot someone publicly.

That the majority of Trump's support is actually for Trump while the majority of Biden's support appears to be anti-Trump rather than pro-Biden in most elections would spell trouble. This election might be different given that there is a such a large hardcore of opposition to Trump.

Nook, AleksandarN, fchowd0311 and 2 others like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

Giving trump ideas...

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Good luck amending the Constitution.

AleksandarN and RayRay10 like this.
  6. PeppermintCandy

He may be referring to this Bloomberg article:

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ask Bernie how this went. There's no difference between a soft Biden vote and a hard Biden vote once they are counted

Trump should resign now. He can get pardons, he can also claim he's undefeated in his plaque ridden brain, the nation would be better off.

It's a win win situation.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Y’all think if Yang got back in he’d win ?

10. shorerider

shorerider Member

Because if you wait long enough the past no longer matters. He wasn't sixteen 31 years ago. He was 47 by my calculation. Yeah, people change, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but if you read his quote he was absolutely not mincing any words or waffling in his views on the criminal justice system. And his words were pretty d@mn harsh, and if you replace the word 'Biden' with 'Trump' in the quote you would have no problem believing that would be Trump's view as well.

#790 shorerider, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I'm sure Biden is just pretending, so he can get into office and expand the police state.

People change, people evolve, and within the past ten years, he has gotten it right on criminal justice.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. shorerider

shorerider Member

It is what it is. In any case, I think we can all agree that he is going to operate more from the angle of trying to bring the country together, which would be a major upgrade from the current state of affairs.

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol, thanks for February 2020 MAGA reelection talking points brad. Let me know if you get traction on this one and how your internals are tracking!

14. NewRoxFan

15. NewRoxFan

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

I love my mother and know she’s a good person. But it’s crazy how brainwashed she has become.

I saw a post on her Facebook that was just perfect for the minds of Trump voters.

She posted a meme that said “trump is the greatest president of my lifetime”

One of her FB friends just posted “not here to argue I’m just curious what he has done that makes you come to that conclusion”

My mother replied “You hung out with a bad crowd when we were younger. That’s why no one likes you”.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  17. shorerider

shorerider Member

Brad? I think it's time to see your therapist again.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Vote Trump out in November!!

Ubiquitin and RayRay10 like this.
  19. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I just realized I can tell my kids I was alive during the reign of the worst president in U.S history so there is that.

Jayzers_100, T_Man, Ubiquitin and 3 others like this.
  20. NewRoxFan

George Will, one of the nation's best conservative writers, had the following opinion piece published in the Washington Post.

Trump must be removed. So must his congressional enablers

By George F. Will
    June 1, 2020 at 2:18 p.m. CDT

This unraveling presidency began with the Crybaby-in-Chief banging his spoon on his highchair tray to protest a photograph — a photograph — showing that his inauguration crowd the day before had been smaller than the one four years previous. Since then, this weak person’s idea of a strong person, this chest-pounding advertisement of his own gnawing insecurities, this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron.

Presidents, exploiting modern communications technologies and abetted today by journalists preening as the “resistance” — like members of the French Resistance 1940-1944, minus the bravery — can set the tone of American society, which is regrettably soft wax on which presidents leave their marks. The president’s provocations — his coarsening of public discourse that lowers the threshold for acting out by people as mentally crippled as he — do not excuse the violent few. They must be punished. He must be removed.

Social causation is difficult to demonstrate, particularly between one person’s words and other persons’ deeds. However: The person voters hired in 2016 to “take care that the laws be faithfully executed” stood on July 28, 2017, in front of uniformed police and urged them “please don’t be too nice” when handling suspected offenders. His hope was fulfilled for 8 minutes and 46 seconds on Minneapolis pavement.

What Daniel Patrick Moynihan termed “defining deviancy down” now defines American politics. In 2016, voters were presented an unprecedentedly unpalatable choice: Never had both major parties offered nominees with higher disapproval than approval numbers. Voters chose what they wagered would be the lesser blight. Now, however, they have watched him govern for 40 months and more than 40 percent — slightly less than the percentage that voted for him — approve of his sordid conduct.

Presidents seeking reelection bask in chants of “Four more years!” This year, however, most Americans — perhaps because they are, as the president predicted, weary from all the winning — might flinch: Four more years of this? The taste of ashes, metaphorical and now literal, dampens enthusiasm.

The nation’s downward spiral into acrimony and sporadic anarchy has had many causes much larger than the small man who is the great exacerbator of them. Most of the causes predate his presidency, and most will survive its January terminus. The measures necessary for restoration of national equilibrium are many and will be protracted far beyond his removal. One such measure must be the removal of those in Congress who, unlike the sycophantic mediocrities who cosset him in the White House, will not disappear “magically,” as Eric Trump said the coronavirus would. Voters must dispatch his congressional enablers, especially the senators who still gambol around his ankles with a canine hunger for petting.

In life’s unforgiving arithmetic, we are the sum of our choices. Congressional Republicans have made theirs for more than 1,200 days. We cannot know all the measures necessary to restore the nation’s domestic health and international standing, but we know the first step: Senate Republicans must be routed, as condign punishment for their Vichyite collaboration, leaving the Republican remnant to wonder: Was it sensible to sacrifice dignity, such as it ever was, and to shed principles, if convictions so easily jettisoned could be dignified as principles, for . . . what? Praying people should pray, and all others should hope: May I never crave anything as much as these people crave membership in the world’s most risible deliberative body.

A political party’s primary function is to bestow its imprimatur on candidates, thereby proclaiming: This is who we are. In 2016, the Republican Party gave its principal nomination to a vulgarian and then toiled to elect him. And to stock Congress with invertebrates whose unswerving abjectness has enabled his institutional vandalism, who have voiced no serious objections to his Niagara of lies, and whom T.S. Eliot anticipated:

We are the hollow men . . .

Our dried voices, when

We whisper together

Are quiet and meaningless

As wind in dry grass

or rats’ feet over broken glass . . .

Those who think our unhinged president’s recent mania about a murder two decades ago that never happened represents his moral nadir have missed the lesson of his life: There is no such thing as rock bottom. So, assume that the worst is yet to come. Which implicates national security: Abroad, anti-Americanism sleeps lightly when it sleeps at all, and it is wide-awake as decent people judge our nation’s health by the character of those to whom power is entrusted. Watching, too, are indecent people in Beijing and Moscow.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...80ecf4-a425-11ea-bb20-ebf0921f3bbd_story.html