1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"He was not saint, but he didn't deserve to

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, May 29, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Honest dialogue?

What does his past record have to do with his death?

Do you think the cops knew his past record?

How about answer that honestly?

2. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

You can’t have an honest dialogue when you dismiss it right off of the bat. Honest dialogue means exactly that, put everything on the table and sort them out. My first riot was back in 1980, we are now in 2020, anything changes? Do you want to keep going that route where you can’t talk about certain things, because they don’t fit the narrative and it’s not politically correct?
    Cops can do a background check on you in seconds if they have your info or DL.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Again why should his past be on the table in this discussion?

I never said we can't talk about certain things but I know that's just a deflection.

So you think cops can run background checks instantaneous from other states?

Your not even trying to troll logically now.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've just skimmed the first page of this thread and haven't read the whole thread but wanted to respond.

Regarding George Floyd's history is that he came to Minneapolis to make a new start. While he was here for the most part he led a good life. The crime of passing a counterfeit bill usually isn't considered a serious crime because often the person using it doesn't even know it's counterfeit. The owner of Cup Foods that called LE on Floyd said this was usually the case and generally what happens is that person passing it is questioned about where it came from. What happened with Floyd and LE when the took him into custody is still unclear. It is also unclear if Floyd even knew he was using a counterfeit bill.

That said even if Floyd did knowingly pass a counterfeit bill, even if Floyd was a a murderer that doesn't excuse the immediate actions of Chauvin. An LEO working the street isn't a prosecutor or a sentencing judge. It's not his job to decide how guilty someone is and to administer punishment is. Their job is to take a suspect is custody and protect civilians. Floyd was already cuffed and on the ground so there was no danger to civilians even if Floyd was actually violent. Floyd's background is meaningless to whether Chauvin is guilty or not. The only exception would be if Floyd and Chauvin did have a prior connection that would give Chauvin a motive for his actions. That wouldn't exonerate Chauvin but move it from Murder 3 to Murder 1.

I'm not an LEO and never have been but my former Sensei had been one in St. Paul for 10 years. I've done training with LE and have had students who have gone on to become LEO. I agree it is a very difficult job and a very underappreciated job. It's one reason why I will never yell "F^(& THE POLICE!" The problem though is when we treat LEO different than we treat everyone else especially in the judicial system. I've likened it to the line from Animal Farm "Some animals are more equal to others." LEO get preferential treatment by prosecutors and as in the Michael Brown case are allowed to testify and present exculpatory evidence during grand jury which no other defendents are allowed to. That is why it is so hard to just get an indictment. Also the use of force standard for LEO regarding self-defense is different from everyone else. It is based not off of a reasonable person standard which most self-defense standards are but off a reasonable officer standard. "Reasonable" is established by history and the actions of other LEO so since there are so few LEO convicted it just reinforces a laxer standard regarding when an LEO kills someone. I've always believed that if we held LEO to the same standards that everyone else we would see fewer protests. Right now the feeling is that the rule of law doesn't apply.

Yung-T, mdrowe00 and JumpMan like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What do you have to say that you think is not politically correct and are afraid to express?

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

naw bruh

If that were the case I could only criticize or effect change on one government institution at a time. Not only that, the police force is heavily unionized and requires top down change.

The militarization of the police after Iraq will take a long time to reverse so radical change is needed. Probably taking away their guns or threatening it. Calling them racists doesn't do anything.

Yung-T and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

thanks for response.
    Im saying there are more interactions with black since they are targeted. It underscores your point of more interaction.

think about it.

I used to live in parts all over sw houston in bad neighborhoods and would get pulled over all the time ...Im now in woodlands and the funny thing is the only time I have been pulled over here is when I was driving an old camry around the block to keep it running.

So its actually poor folk who are targeted and guess which race has a fair % of poor folk?

As for cops and what they go through I would not want to be a cop in the hood. I assume you have to be hardcore and I dont pretend I am. Especially not on a bbs.

That all said even if not racism there is some pay and ptsd and dude us nuts and you dont choke someone out for 10 minutes.. And if you do catch it on camera you dont defend it like you are doing since it makes you look dumb. Let me choke you for 10 minutes and tell me its not murder?

you are better than this....i think

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I appreciate your consistency in these racist threads you create. Here you are in blame the victim mode, classic tactic. Floyd is murdered several times in this tragedy. First by the ******* with his knee on Floyd's neck. Second by the racists who use Floyd's past to rationalize cold blooded murder. Third by the police that will leak information to the press to mitigate the murder. Fourth by the rioters that give an avenue to the racists to take attention off the murder. Fifth by the inevitable lack of action that will result leaving Floyd's death to history as just the latest in a string of murders by those charged to protect and serve.

AleksandarN, Yung-T and mdrowe00 like this.
  9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

So where is the Great Orange King????

Not a freaking bleak out of him... Oh I know this situation is about a black man and not a White Nationalist who's carrying a AK47 demanding that he's allowed to go to a bar to have a beer...

T_Man

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I didn't read most of your post. I read enough of it.

IF the cops knew of his record, they held ALL the power and he was in their custody.

They did not have to murder him.

Trying to argue that he did is obscene.

Yung-T likes this.
  11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I have largely not been following all of this drama. I didnt even want to watch the video until I saw some of my usually politically quiet friends speak up. Leaving all the drama and hype out, it seems like many issues are being missed. First is the systematic abuse found in this department and the multiple complaints. For this, I completely understand the riots.
    Then there is the manslaughter vs murder debate. What does NOT matter is the history of this man. This had nothing to do with the cops and it had nothing to do with Floyd at the time of this incident. Nobody should be saying Floyd deserved this. But as far as the murder vs manslaughter charges, that should be left up to the courts. Its not our responsibility to hand out punishment before giving the legal system a chance to do its work.

AleksandarN and T_Man like this.
  12. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

If you think I’m trolling then why continue? Have it your way with the crap that’s been going on and the next 40( if we’ll make it there)years will just be rinse and repeat again.

13. Buck Turgidson

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If he didn't deserve it, then why even bring up that he wasn't a saint?

It's just being used as a tool for you to soften the blow of his murder. "Yes he was murdered, yes it was wrong... but he wasn't a perfect man"

That's not how modern law works, quit trying to engage in emotional warfare.

15. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

senator speaking

16. Senator

Senator Member

For one minute, stop making me out to be the enemy instead of listening to what I'm clearly saying.

NO other demographic would be outraged over a repeat offender, constantly breaking and entering and pointing guns at people, having something bad happen while committing another crime (even though this was nonviolent). You keep putting yourself in harm's way, bad things will happen. You tell your kids to look both ways before they cross the road, right? Cause if you keep running across it without looking, you'll get hit one day, and you can't blame it on the driver.

The facts that there are a few racist cops out there, like there are racist or hateful or corrupt cops in every country all over the world, doesn't change what the other 98% of them have to endure. Cops rough up all kinds of people for acting a fool, when they don't, time and time again you see these guys take advantage of the system. But because they're on the criminal side, the liberal media will have a sad story for them.

What other country in the world would let a community constantly get away with their justifications for violent behavior? "HE WAS NOT SAINT, BUT..." When the stats show 13% commit over 60% of violent crime because well.... slavery? And now people take to the streets to loot and riot because they don't have the courage to draw a hard line?

The far left is welcome to create their own city in America and use this moral high ground to create utopia. But that won't ever happen, because those who can't do spend their time causing these problems.

Despite all the opportunities available in a country that EVERYONE FROM EVERYWHERE comes to , starting out with nothing. The issue is not white people, it's a demographic that doesn't want to change it's own behavior and makes excuses not to. Hispanics do not give a damn about a repeat offender dying while committing another crime. Asians do not. Whites do not. You cannot train cops to look past their own experience in ANY country. Drop the entitlement and stop TALKING about TRYING TO TURN HIS LIFE around... actually do it as a community by being vocally against crime of any kind instead of justifying it. That's how you change systemic bias......

17. Senator

Senator Member

The more you interact with the cops in a confrontational way, the more chance you have of getting hurt. White guys committing crimes get roughed up by cops all the time, but I don't take to the streets. When 12% of the population commits over 60% of violent crime, that's what cops see on a daily basis. You don't see it, because the media that brainwashes you won't show it and you're not going out of your middle class neighborhood.

Let me know when a guy breaks into your home and points a gun at your wife, if you'll be breaking out the law books and talking about your homeowner rights and systematic racism. Change will never happen if you don't see situations for what they are ...... now young black kids out looting and rioting are going to think it was just a small crime, that don't mean nothing. But when you keep doing it over and over again, coupled with more violent offenses from the past, how much nicer can a cop be when his own life was on the line a couple weeks ago for letting his guard down? That's how cops die away from cameras, not from well coordinated attacks.

18. Senator

Senator Member

Let me know when a guy breaks into your home and points a gun at your wife, if you'll be breaking out the law books and talking about your homeowner rights and systematic racism. Change will never happen if you don't see situations for what they are ...... now young black kids out looting and rioting are going to think it was just a small crime, that don't mean nothing. But when you keep doing it over and over again, coupled with more violent offenses from the past, how much nicer can a cop be when his own life was on the line a couple weeks ago for letting his guard down? That's how cops die away from cameras, not from well coordinated attacks. Everything starts out innocent, then there's a little resistance, and all of a sudden they're lunged at.

On top of this, you have a demographic that is more interested in villifying HOW A COP ARRESTS SOMEONE WHILE COMMITTING A CRIME instead of committing the crime itself. Because you know... slavery .... we have a right to break and enter from time to time. Yes, a small percentage of cops are racist, but by and large, they just want to do their job and go home without getting into a confrontation. White people committing crimes get roughed , i saw it growing up, but we kind of knew that's how it had to be or they'd keep doing the same (and drinking on top of that). It's incredibly stupid and naive to think every cop is going to be perfect all the time when you constantly test them. Training won't change that. If you keep pointing the finger at everyone else but yourself and talk about "turning it around" instead of actually do it, no one is going to want to help you. Law abiding immigrants who aren't white have no complaints about the cops compared to their home countries....

Even with a nice guy like Obama as President, nothing changed and snipers were shooting at cops in Dallas during riots. It is ON THE COMMUNITY. if you never take accountability, nothing will change, and nothing has changed for decades in this regard.

19. CometsWin

First of all, you're awful at claiming things without evidence. You can stop that.

The murder victim had no violent behavior. The murder victim's history played no role in the knee to his neck. He was murdered, posed no threat, was not resisting, and had three officers on top of him. He repeatedly said he could not breathe. There were multiple eyewitnesses pleading for the police to stop choking him. The cops then lied about him actually resisting arrest, kind of standard procedure for them really to lie these days.

I'm hispanic, I give a damn. He didn't die while committing another crime, he died handcuffed, laying on his face, with three men on top of him including one man's knee on his neck for at least ten minutes. The ALLEGED crime was long over with. By the way, not that the hell it matters but murder isn't the penalty for an alleged $20 theft in a convenience store. And AGAIN, not the hell that it matters, police are empowered to enforce the laws not give out death sentences for petty crimes.

For your information, this is a liberal democracy and all of the great cities in America are liberal unless you count Topeka which is a utopia of course.

What is the root cause of your 13% commit 60% of the violent crime stat? Is it well because... the rap music?

Why do whites have 12 times the wealth of blacks? Let me guess... because... the rap music?

Why does the Republican Party continually push voter suppression laws that target minorities? The rap music of course!

Honestly, you are not equipped to discuss this topic with me.

#59 CometsWin, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    T_Man and Yung-T like this.
  20. CometsWin

Who knew laying on your belly with your hands handcuffed behind your back with three guys on top of you would be too confrontational for this officer. Perhaps more training for the blacks on how to properly subdue yourself. Clearly he was doing it wrong.

jiggyfly, T_Man and Yung-T like this.