1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you choose: 5 terms (20 yrs) of Dubya or 1 term (4 yrs) of Trump?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fadeaway, May 29, 2020.

?

What would you choose: 5 terms (20 yrs) of Dubya or 1 term (4 yrs) of Trump?

1. 5 terms of George W. Bush as president

31 vote(s)
    77.5%
  2. 1 term of Donald Trump as president

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Which option would you go with?

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Sounds like Chemo vs gunshot?

Andre0087, RayRay10 and dobro1229 like this.
  3. Anticope

Anticope Member

What does it matter? We already got 40% of one of those options and 100% (and possibly more) of the other one.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

5 terms of 43 means the Supreme Court is permanently ruined.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

1 term of Trump easily, this shouldn’t even be a question for anybody who isn’t die hard republicans.

6. HTM

HTM Member

Ha, you don't know what you have until it's gone.

I was too young during his administration to really have well thought out opinions regarding his administrations domestic and foreign policies but I could at least tell at the time that I thought he was a fundamentally relatively honest, intelligent, funny, dignified and fairly high character individual who I was proud of. (Even though I think I knew about his party boy type transgressions)

I do remember watching television 2001 - 2008 and I do remember the MSM which supplied the 24/7 news cycle and they were just unrelenting on the guy. They really beat the hell outta him. The "GWB is a Nazi" "GWB is Hitler" "GWB is a racist" "GWB doesn't care about black people" was just over the top and out of line.

Now I see the same stuff for Trump and I think, "I distinctly remember all of this type of stuff for GWB and GWB was a cookie-cutter GOP type." It makes the MSM attacks less credible.

Since he's been out of office though there has been a whitewashing of him. Now he's cool. He's friends with Michelle Obama. He dedicates his time to veterans. He doesn't seem so bad compared to Trump. No one ****s on him now. But when he was in office, man, they just beat the **** out of him. It wasn't right.

RayRay10 and jcf like this.
  7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bush was ****ing awful. His economic and foreign policy debacles are still reverberating. Bush just really benefited from the fact Republicans chose one historically bad president and then followed him with one that is catastrophically terrible, so Bush looks less shitty in comparison.

#7 gifford1967, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    T_Man, Andre0087, pgabriel and 2 others like this.
  8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Dubya and I didn't even have to think about it. He isn't an insane, racist, fascist narcissist. I never thought I'd be nostalgic about George W. Bush (or even his father) but here we are.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know where you got the idea that the Mainstream Media called George W. a "Nazi," Hitler," and a "racist," but that simply isn't true. Someone has been feeding you some BS, with all due respect. There were probably some extremists that could have called him that, but they were individuals, not members of the mainstream media.

George was certainly called a liar for his reasons to attack Iraq, but that's hardly the same thing, and if he was outright called a liar by a member of the mainstream media, it was rare. Legitimate members of the mainstream media are more respectful of the president, at least on the air, and at least back then. I'm not including Fox. I don't consider them a member of the mainstream media, certainly not today. I didn't watch them enough to draw a conclusion in the early mid-2000's. Now I watch them every once in a while because I want to see what lies they are pumping out. Boy, do they pump them out!

I did start watching CNN in 1980. I remember that well because I had just moved to Austin, which had that wonder of the ages (at the time), cable! CNN began in June of 1980. Anchors on CNN didn't call W. any of those things, and they didn't call him a liar. That's not an "opinion," either.

RayRay10 and IBTL like this.
  10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5 term bush with a democratic run congress.

Andre0087 and RayRay10 like this.
  11. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Bush and it isn’t close. Bush was an actual president. Every president in modern history (since Nixon) has more or less upheld customs and respected opposing viewpoints. Trump is deranged

Sanctity, RayRay10 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

I went with Bush

Who knows what damage he would cause if he had 5 terms, but Trump has set back America many years. He has divided this country like no other. He doesn’t value the Constitution. He has emboldened the worst of society. He is the dumbest and most narcissistic POTUS we’ve had. I can go on and on. He and his braindead MAGA clowns are pure garbage.

RayRay10 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Bush, the guy who brought us the patriot act and unprecedented violation of privacy. And Trump is the dictator?

Im not suggesting Trump is good, but some of you should keep things in perspective.

pgabriel and IBTL like this.
  14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there's a better, more realistic counterfactual:

8 years of Obama + four years of trump

or

4 years of Obama + 8 years of Romney?

15. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Obama + Romney, no doubt. Super easy choice.

16. WNBA

WNBA Member

warmonger imperialism vs. deranged dictatorship. ... yes, Trump is a dictator. He keeps winning in all polls like this.

17. HTM

HTM Member

Yes, you're probably correct about this, I didn't mean to say like, "Wolf Blitzer was on prime time calling GWB a Nazi" but Nazi-imagery associated with GWB was extremely common and many public figures with a large platform called him a Nazi or associated him with Nazism/racism.

*Images of common protestors at the time which were seen regularly in the media* (Not sure about the website found it googling around to support my memory)
    http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/?p=612

During the controversy over Bush’s Electoral College win, Jesse Jackson claimed the Bush campaign had used “Nazi tactics” and his brother Jeb had targeted Holocaust victims (part of a history of Jackson’s Nazi analogies).
    -Jesse Jackson

Comedian and actress Janeane Garofalo was a constant critic of Bush, once referring to the Bush administration as the “43rd Reich.”
    Janeae Garofalo

Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., the odds-on favorite to become the Democratic National Committee's chairman, had a long association with the anti-Semitic Nation of Islam. He compared then-President George W. Bush and 9/11 to Adolf Hitler.
    - Keith Ellison

About President George W. Bush, billionaire Democratic contributor George Soros said, "(He displays the) supremacist ideology of Nazi Germany,
    - George Soros

Former Vice President Al Gore said: "(George W. Bush's) executive branch has made it a practice to try and control and intimidate news organizations, from PBS to CBS to Newsweek. ... And every day, they unleash squadrons of digital brown shirts to harass and hector any journalist who is critical of the President."
    - Al Gore

Actor/singer and activist Harry Belafonte, who marched with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., called Bush a racist.
    - Harry Belafonte

NAACP Chairman Julian Bond played the Nazi card several times. Speaking at historically black Fayetteville State University in North Carolina in 2006, Bond said, "The Republican Party would have the American flag and the swastika flying side by side."
    - NAACP Chairman

During 2004's Ozzfest tour, Black Sabbath's performance of the song "War Pigs" included an image of President Bush with a clown nose, appearing with a who's who of warmongers, including Hitler.
    - Black Sabbath

George Bush Says Kanye West's Attack Was Low Point Of His Presidency : The Two-Way Former President George W. Bush says that Kanye West's insinuation that he is a racist, made in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, still stings today -- and that the episode was the "all-time low" point of his presidency. The Two-Way.
    -Kanye West

While it maybe "technically" correct that these are individuals are not members of the media these are prominent members of society whose sentiments were reported in the media. Bush was routinely castigated as a Nazi and a racist. All the time.

I recall the rhetoric around the Bush administration at the time as being full of that hateful rhetoric and it made it through to my young self.

At the time it was common to hear associations with Bush and facism/racism but I've seen how the rhetoric around Bush has changed since he left office.

18. Buck Turgidson

Do we still have to have Dick and Rumsfeld and that whole cabal? Or just Dubya?

He was a hell of a Governor, got along with both sides really well, which is why I thought he'd be a good President.

Oops. He listened to the wrong people during a terrible time, it's funny looking back how many Presidents have had that problem.

19. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I swear either you guys are full of shiet or just mentally unstable. I joined this forum in 03 but lurked long before that and remembered you guys used to beat the crap out of W. You called him by every name under the sun and compared him to Hiltler yes, Hitler was thrown around back then quite a lot. Now, W is cool and someone you can even hang out with. Man, talking about some serious bullshiet in here.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think Bush JR was intelligent in terms of your typical president. However the major difference between him and Trump is that Bush Jr was far more humble and knew when he didn't know something and wasn't afraid to acknowledge it and listen to people smarter than him on specific subject matter.

Trump is the complete opposite. He portrays himself as a subject matter expert in a vast range of topics while having zero intellectual curiosity to read anything more than a couple of pages.

But let's be clear. GWB presidency was mostly a disaster from starting the forever wars in the Middle East and overseeing the economic conditions that led us to the 2008 crash and the media didn't criticize him enough for those actions until it was too late.