1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID Restaurant Closings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, May 26, 2020.

1. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I go to Smashbuger, the poor man's Bernies.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Giacomo's is pretty good. And a place I've mentioned before, Fresco Cafe. Its a hole in the wall but it's the most authentic place in the city. The Chef/owner doesn't speak English but hosts private dinners for the Italian community in town, where he makes all his off the menu stuff.

Italian is definitely limited in a way that no other cuisine in the city is.

Nook and Roscoe Arbuckle like this.
  3. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'll try Fresco. Any recs?

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Happen to have Smashburger for lunch and it was downright terrible today. Honestly put together worse than a fast food burger with condiments slopped half on the burger and other half on the wrapper which wrapped onto the bread. Usually don’t mind Smashburger but don’t think I’ll be going back for a while.

#44 gucci888, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Bernie's closing is definitely one that stings for me. Great burgers and fries and awesome shakes. Just used all his capital to expand locations and then the pandemic hit. Really sucks.

Ziggy likes this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Always thought the food trucks had better burgers. Hopefully he can return to the bus again. Justin hasn't ruled it out entirely.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Their store front definitely doesn’t do the justice. Potent is excellent for super upscale Italian.

Obviously not as popular as Italian but really hard to find good French food in Houston outside of paying some exuberant prices.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

www.houstonarchitecture.com is a great site. There are several discussions about Houston's restaurants. The city reportedly has more restaurants per capita than any other city in the country, and I believe it. The link below is all about defunct Houston restaurants. The thread starts in 2004 and the last post is in December, 2019. There are a mind blowing number of places mentioned. It's a real trip! Places from the '50's, '60's, '70's, '80's and into the '90's. If you've been around awhile, like me, you'll love reading it. Some of you probably went to several of these places as a kid.

The thread is 26 pages and well worth the read. Not just for places in Houston, either. One guy said he used to fly a small plane to La Grange to eat at the long gone Cottonwood Inn, a stop I usually made going back and forth from Houston to Austin.

There's one place not mentioned there that should be. The Old Munich Inn, on Telephone Road across from the Cellar Door, not terribly far from Gulfgate. Best German food I've ever had, outside of Germany, was eaten there. It was a large place, the waitresses were in costumes, there was a little band playing Oompah music, and the wienerschnitzel during dinner literally covered a large plate, with delicious German potato salad served warm, as it should be, and that dark bread. Everyone who worked there seemed to be from Germany. Great lunches. My father loved it and we went there all the time. The waitresses all knew him. Everything was terrific, including the beer.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/3925-defunct-houston-restaurants/

MadMax likes this.
  9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There is a new Treebeards under construction on the west side...off I-10 @ Bunker Hill.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Every notice that shortening your name and sticking a ‘y’ on the end was big in the 1970s?

Barry
    Larry
    Gary
    Harry
    Jerry
    Perry
    Randy
    Terry

etc

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You've been snortin' helicopter fumes. Most of those names have been around a lot longer than the 70's.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As long as Kemah Boardwalk, Aquarium, Rainforest Cafe, and Saltgrass is staying open we are good to go bois.

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

I've heard good things about Rudi Lechners on Gessner. You might want to try it.

Deckard likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll try when we're able to get to Houston. That won't be for a long time yet, but thanks for the suggestion.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

stopped at Fuddruckers yesterday and they had a long line of customers for pick up. Busier than pre-covid.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. Roscoe Arbuckle

Hmm... Isn't the fun of going there the ability to put your own toppings on them?

Xerobull likes this.
  17. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Unfortunately it’s not what it used to be. Rudi no longer runs it, some of their traditional items are no longer on the menu, like the white wine cheese soup as one example, and the overall quality wasn’t the same. I remember being very disappointed on my last visit there. Might be willing to go back at some point for old time’s sake, but with much lower expectations.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

The seedy underbelly of the lemonade stand business has been exposed as cute little kids everywhere are out of work this summer. It's ugly out there.

[​IMG]

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's not going to happen anymore...at least not for some time. They'll have to adapt.

20. Roscoe Arbuckle

Ugh. This week:

Penny Quarter
    Hard Rock Cafe
    Cajun Town Cafe
    Patrenella's. This one really hurts. One of my favorite dating places.