1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American Racism

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, May 28, 2020.

1. conquistador#11

In before: "You're the racist for making observations about people being racists! You shouldn't see color."

For me, what I always found unbelievable was how in ww2, under a 'progressive' president African Americans had to be segregated from other units. How F'd up is that? when everyone has an equal chance at dying, they were still treated like subhumans, but they loved America that they were willing to die for it.

DreamShook, Reeko, DVauthrin and 4 others like this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

No, I am not defending racism. It's people like you that make having mature discussions on race impossible.

3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Like the others -
    Lack of family values is a result not a root cause.

Lack family values is an opinion.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You are presenting problems in the black community as reasons why people are racist hence it implicitly defends racist actions.

You are also using symptoms such as crime and poverty and turning them into root causes. It's a typical tactic for racists when they try to defend racist actions. They ignore the previous 400 years of history and believe that causality doesn't exist for only this topic. I'm sure they think causality is real outside this specific subject matter.

DreamShook, TheRealist137 and Nook like this.
  5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Racism is a global phenomenon. It is not limited to the USA.

True, but the United States is not an ethnic state at the end of the day. So why would an American with a darker skin tone be feared or thought of as less than one with a lighter skin tone?

2. I would say the root cause of most racism towards blacks is linked to a need for protection. Blacks are viewed by many whites as people who commit crimes. Whites therefore treat blacks as though they are a threat to their safety/property. For city-based police officers, their lives are put at risk on an almost daily basis, and more often than not, it's blacks ages 15-28 that are creating the threat. Statistics bear this out.

Why does this perception exist? Growing up, crime was committed by all classes and races. Just different crimes with different times. For example I was held up at knife point by a typical bully teenager (picture Crabbe from the Harry Potter movies) for my freaking dollar when I was like 10. My mom made call the cops since it was her dollar and I was called a “narc” for it. Similarly my mom’s white friends regularly steal from her (and I would not be surprised if it went both ways).

3. People also are very protective of their family and children - especially their daughters. Black males are viewed as less likely to be monogamous and more likely to either never get married or if married, to get divorced. Whites want a strong family structure, with a two-parent home, to ensure the best upbringing for their children. Statistics bear this out.

Half of all marriages end in divorce. And I knew more unmarried white moms than married ones growing up. None of my friend’s moms were married. Of my friends and family, only my aunts and uncles were married and even then they divorced when we grew up. Again, this was all white people.

I say all this because despite all their flaws, they have never been afraid around police or been told they’re inferior because of their skin tone despite living the very qualities that you mention driving racism toward black Americans.

6. fchowd0311

Many East and South Asians today are very racist towards African people in general.

snowconeman22 and Nook like this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@fchowd0311

Health is another issue. Medicaid and Chip can't fix eating poorly

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Real talk I wont let my daughter date a mavericks fan

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not at all....

There has been progress in race relations. The generation that sat in the stands and openly (and supportively) called Jackie Robinson n*****, is dying out.

That being said, it started at such a low bar, it's hard not to see progress.

I have a vivid memory of going to the Astrodome in the mid 60s. In the parking lot, a young white man was holding hands with a young black woman. My dad said, "that's not something you see very often". It was true then. It's not close to being true now.

Reeko, RayRay10, fchowd0311 and 2 others like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Racism
    Poverty
    Disease

Things that are almost impossible to get rid of but can be reduced by education

thank goodness I’m part of the group that has the superior intellect and morality
    @Ziggy @Rocket River @rimrocker @heypartner

Rocket River and RayRay10 like this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Assume a hat contains three cards. One says white, one says black and one says hispanic.
    Whatever card you pull will be how you are treated in general by the American society as a whole.

Do you want to pick

A. White
    B. Black
    C. Hispanic
    D. I don't care

The answer should be D, but I'd venture to guess it would overwhelmingly be A.

FrontRunner and RayRay10 like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Yes and I know many Hispanics that hold racist views towards black people.

I almost said nothing because I did not want it to seem that I was excusing the racial biases held by white people in the USA.

My point is that the problem is more pervasive and complicated than it appears at first blush. Regardless it needs to be a major issue addressed and rectified.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Anecdotal evidence isn’t fact. Statistics are “facts” even though I believe they are flawed for biased reasons.
    Even accounting for that, a large portion of violent crimes are committed by a single ethnic group.
    Not saying it’s right at all. What the officer did in Minneapolis is murder.
    But I also understand that stereotypes are based on truth to an extent

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sounds good Dr Huxtable.

TWS1986, K mf G and jiggyfly like this.
  15. HTM

HTM Member

Racism/bigotry/discrimination based on ethnicity is endemic to humanity. You will find those things in every society and culture if you look for it and in many cases you don't need to look very hard.

Certainly, in many European countries you will find examples of open and outrageous displays of racism against black people. FIFA has their, "Say No to Racism" campaign. That's not, probably largely, in response to White/black American race relations. It's largely predicated on open and aggressive acts of racism at the highest level of sport in the soccer world. Open and abusive racism from the stands including monkey chants and banana throwings at the equivalent of MLB games, NBA games or NFL games. And that is in largely White European societies that have had a de minimis black populations until the last few decades.

I think black/white racism is such a problem in the United States because of our (fairly) unique history which saw a large white population import and enslave a large black population. Obviously, that's an institution predicated entirely on racism and has reverberations to this day.

No other country has operated under such circumstances in the way the United States has and the countries that did import lots of African slaves? Yea, they've got problems with white/black relations too.

How do we solve racism/bigotry/discrimination of any kind? I'm not sure. I think we have made a lot of progress, certainly from a governmental/institutional standpoint but tackling individuals feelings regarding race is something else and I don't know how much is possible. I suspect those types of prejudices have been around since time immemorial and will be with us forever but I think a lot of progress has been made regarding individual sentiments.

16. fchowd0311

What about the people who don't chose any card and racism is merely the cards they were delt?

Some people can't chose the hand they were delt. Someone people are forced to see racism.

FrontRunner likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

Not really. Stereotypes are used to supress a certain group where hundreds of years of expressing those stereotypes through interaction and government institutions turn many of those people into those stereotypes.

"You treat people like animals, they eventually will act like animals".

18. amaru

amaru Member

Random question....have you ever spent a few weeks or longer in a country where black people are the majority (or a slight minority)?

Rocket River and RayRay10 like this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutchfans isn’t going to solve racism
    @Reeko
    They can’t even figure out why Tmac can’t get out of the first round of the playoffs

RayRay10 and snowconeman22 like this.