1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Republicans are PRO REGULATION, now!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, May 27, 2020.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Their tactic is so stupid and self defeating. I don’t think they realize that Texas is held red because of the human spread across farmland. Those solid red trump voters are the ones using mail in voting. Not liberal college kids in Austin or Hispanics in Houston etc. Democrats will wear hazmat suits if we have to in order to go vote Trumps ass out of office.

Of course we would prefer to just drop an envelope and have no social contact which makes all the sense in the world during a pandemic which is kinda the point... but what Abbott and Patrick are doing is more likely to suppress their own voters who now will think to themselves that they aren’t supposed to mail in their ballots because the Chinese will change their vote to Biden and so it’s better to stay home and watch FoxNews.

Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Interesting...although, I'd think that removal of that provision would hurt Republican efforts more than help them considering that it makes all internet platforms susceptible to being held responsible for hate-speech and fraudulent misinformation.

This is another issue where no one on either side of the aisle should be happy.

Two Sandwiches and Andre0087 like this.
  3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Force them to choose between them, they're either one or the other, the most ridiculous part of how it currently stands is they will argue in court that they're a platform not a publisher, then in another case that they're a publisher and not a platform and the law is so vague the judge has no option but to say yes to both.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump is arguing that hate speech should be allowed on social media. And that social media platforms will have no protection for content posted on their platforms. Lawsuits will cripple the platforms. All because trump didn't like getting fact checked.

Blatz and RayRay10 like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Hate speech should legally be allowed on social media. Private companies however should have the right to remove hate speech from their platforms.

Banning hate speech at the government level violates the first amendment. Also preventing companies from removing hate speech content from their platforms violates the first amendment.

Hate speech is horrible and hopefully we can live in a world where that rhetoric can be freely expressed but easily be dismantled.

Two Sandwiches and mdrowe00 like this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Where is this "somewhere else" that exists?

Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

trump's argument is that by removing that hate speech, the social media platform is action as a "publisher". The purveyors of hate speech will sue the platform to prevent its removal. The victims of the hate speech will sue the social media platform for recovery from damages. The social media platform will no longer have any protection from either lawsuit.

As an example, trump retweets a tweet showing "Cowboys for Trump" saying "the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat". Twitter can't remove nor even fact check that tweet. Two days later, a crazed gunman goes into a campaign office and shoots twenty people. While I suspect the victims families can try and sue the cowboy making the speech, I also suspect they will sue Twitter.com because that's the speech was communicated and deep pockets.

fchowd0311 and RayRay10 like this.
  8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

And why hasn't Trump already gone there and started making money off it?

bobrek likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

There should be a whole thread devoted to "if obama had done this"

Imagine obama tweeting false info, then getting called out for it , then trying to go executive order?

and just when I thought trump could not be more insufferable...

Show of hands who here thinks that trump will try to contest the election if he loses?

Seems inevitable and if trump loses and is somehow still in office january 2021 then I think we have a real problem. Im already taking 2020 off mentally and going to sit tight in general for the next 5 months. Even then I dont know if I will be able to handle the lame duck period.

You realize we are now pretty much just as far from new year as we are the november 3rd election.

For the first time in my life I truly have the button on ffwd.

I dont pin my situation on trump good or bad and overall to make it to today intact has been a win personally.

That said overall with trump and the situation I have literally punted on 2020 and the amount of step back and how much worse it all is is crazy. Now the idea of a vacation to padre sounds exotic and dangerous.

I got my google report for places been in march and april..I had not been more than a few miles. This whole situation has transformed my life lol...

Make america great ? I just can't get over how much worse. I mean I had no idea coming into this all my wife would lose her income we would be forced to move to one income and then deal with a virus deemed hoax by our president and allowed to fester by inaction of the president in february.

And now just the idea of a glimmer of hope that we make it to january 2021.
    I honestly cant imagine how bad it would be if trump won again. Like this now is really really bad!
    We kinda joked about how bad it could be and then here we are.
    wow

11. NewRoxFan

republicans further demonstrating hypocrisy in defense of donald trump. Insert "shocked face" gif...

Blatz and RayRay10 like this.
  12. Aleron

Trump doesn't make money from twitter, twitter makes money from Trump, as do the legion of rabid media whose careers are following Trump

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's not really Trump's argument. It's what some conservative argued back in 2018 or even earlier. So his EO is just to express a conservative argument that has no teeth until Congress or the FTC acts? Trump has a pattern of using EO (hello abuser of power) as an outlet of his and his supporters frustration and a political hack. EO: don't check my hate speech and don't check my lies or else!!! This wouldn't be the case if you don't spill hate or lies.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

It’s almost 10 o’clock eastern. Trump should be waking up soon. Let’s see what this is all about.

jiggyfly, vlaurelio and RayRay10 like this.
  15. marky :)

marky :) Member

Would be great if Twitter would just ban his account.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Nahh.....too much entertainment.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. CCorn

CCorn Member

I like the idea of twitter going down for “routine maintenance” . But that’s dangerous in the tech world. Even 2 days would drive the president insane.

right now they could use the executive order as an excuse so that they can “modify their algorithms”.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...MySpace isn't what it once was, and could use some freshening up...;)

RayRay10 and bobrek like this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Trump may have enough money to buy xanga

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Aleron

It is, the speech isn't illegal, so its an editorial decision.

hate speech is an opinion, indistinguishable from "speech i hate", it's so vague you'd be hard pressed to find 2 people give the same objective basis. If it's an actual platform, then it wouldn't be liable, if it editorializes, then it wouldn't, it's at their own discretion which they want to be, it'd be their own fault.

There's nothing to fact check in what you're suggesting, it's an opinion. You don't fact check opinions, you disagree with them....

There was this guy, totally minding his own business, one day he saw this tweet, that the only good democrat was a dead democrat, nothing like this had ever crossed his mind, but now he knew his fate, at that point he totally sprung into action, like it was the code word of the manchurian candidate, and he guns down 20 people at a campaign office.

And then in a more likely series of events, a monkey comes out of his butt, the bruce almighty anal dwelling butt monkey kind, because no one has ever seen inflammatory hyperbolic language on the internet, that's the reason why we're not all killing each other.

And then on a balance, i'm more worried about these ideas being suppressed to the point that they're forced into some deep dark corner an echo chamber, just seeing contrary opinions in the comments section does an awful lot to convince people that dumb opinions are actually dumb, it's why media organisations like cnn and the guardian removed them, and just look at Alex Jones, he used to be hilarious, now he's just insane.