1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Graphic: Death shown] I found a genuine reason for armed protests.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fchowd0311, May 26, 2020.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

not selfish at all...that’s perfectly understandable

as a black man, I probably would’ve done exactly what the bystanders were doing...I can’t see myself pushing him off the guy or anything like that...he clearly doesn’t value life, and at the end of the day, I’m not trying to get shot and possibly die as well so I can become another Twitter hashtag

now if I were that cop who was just standing there, that’s a different story

Eric Riley, Nook, Andre0087 and 2 others like this.
  2. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Cops just got fired. I don't think there's going to be much thin blue line for these guys. Now that it'd hold anyway with multiple witnesses and video.

Probably a lot of bystanders are feeling regret now, wondering if there was something they could have done differently. But of course, there probably wasn't. Assaulting officers is in general a terrible idea. Calling more cops or EMT probably takes too long and its unclear it'd be effective. Getting more creative than that in the moment and under stress is probably not possible. The most reasonable course of action is to reason, plead, and cajole the cops, film them so they know they can be held to account, and count on them to do the right thing. It didn't work, obviously, but they did the right thing. Terrible to be a witness to a murder and not have the power to do anything to stop it.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm listening to the press conference right now by the Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey. He is condemning this action and backing the Chief's firing of the four officers involved.

5. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I’d appreciate you for the thoughtful response. No doubt, this is a tough situation, no matter what you try to do, the thought of getting your ass pumped full of lead is real. This is kind of depressing to think about our citizens being basically executed by the police while we’re standing by watching helplessly. My only wish is that we will have real police reform after this latest incident and not just some more goofy body cameras. For a starter, weed out all of the bad cops, you and I know one or two of them simply do not belong in the force. More mentoring amongst cops, the good ones will lead and help the weaker ones become better cops. Better support system for the cops so that they know they’re not the enemy of the public. Cops are humans just like you and I and some cops that turned bad used to be good cops once upon the time? Deadly force issue needs to be in the spotlight so people will not have to die needlessly. I’m sure others will have more suggestions on this.

Blatz and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

This is why Kaepernick kneeled. You just witnessed a lynching ladies and gentlemen. This has been happening to black people on this side of the world for centuries.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I keep coming back to the fact that there is nothing from a self defense or controlling an out of control person that involves a knee on the neck and serves no purpose to subdue a person.

I have been in multiple deescalation and subdue trainings and it is never taught this guy seemed to enjoy it, will be interesting when his background starts coming out.

**** that guy.

Eric Riley likes this.
  8. likestohypeguy

While I'm watching it, I'm thinking doesn't matter, screaming in my head "Yall knock him off the man!", what are they going to do, shoot everyone? But worst case yes they would, everyone including the victim dead. Best case scenario everyone else gets beat/tased/sprayed/knee-choked and charged with felony assault on a peace officer. Then since in doing so they would have saved the man's life, no proof that they actually stopped a murder.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

For those wondering. The Minneapolis Police Chief has already asked the FBI to get involved in the investigation. The Mayor is backing the chief. Just a note on the history. MPD Chief Arrandando was hired by following the death of Jamar Clark in police custody and the shooting of Justine Ruszcyk. he specifically was hired to address what was considered a bad culture in the MPD.

Eric Riley, Nook, DVauthrin and 4 others like this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Absolutely. That is straight up murder captured on camera.

Eric Riley, Blatz and jiggyfly like this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Are you worried about riots?

They say there's a city wide protest planned. I worry about Rodney King type riots. Not sure what the pulse is like there.

My take is that people want to get out. This gives them a reason. Some people have pent up resentment. People want in business. You have to police this, which brings on more anger. I could go on.

I'm just saying, if some resentment is simmering, a protest could be fuel that could ignite something very bad.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He did not even take his knee off his neck when they arrived the EMT did not even check on the guy when they arrived, he lifted his knee after they took out the gurney.

I did not even realize there were 2 cops on him and all 3 were ok with this.

The 2 EMT guys need to be fired and charges brought as well because they never even tried resuscitate the guy or check on him while he was down.

This **** is more ****ed up on the 2nd watch, ****!

Hakeemtheking and vlaurelio like this.
  13. amaru

amaru Member

Two other officers were present at some point will George Floyd was being lynched.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Regarding the knee on head technique. This is a technique that is used widely by LE. When I've trained with LE I've seen the technique taught. Speaking from having it demonstrated on me it is a very effective control technique but it certainly has risks. When I first saw the video I only saw a clip of it with no real details at that time I was hesitant to say that the LEO intended to kill or inflict a lot of harm. Knowing the details particularly how long it was put on I think at the very minimum it was extremely negligent for the LEO to keep it on for that long and very likely malicious. Without knowing more it is hard for me to say whether the LEO intended to kill George Floyd but it certainly seems like he should understand how much harm he might be inflicting on him.

Mayor Frey has said a few times that this wasn't a called for technique. I'm not sure if he means it is a banned technique and haven't heard anything in the news saying that it was banned.

Nook, snowconeman22 and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

There isn't much to debate here. It's pretty cut-and-dry. That officer committed murder, and he knew exactly what he was doing. "Training", "incompetence", "heat of the moment", etc are irrelevant here. He is a stone-cold killer that needs to go to prison for many years, maybe the rest of his life.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Minneapolis temperature is in the 70s today, but high chance of rain. Might need to hold off on the riots until tomorrow.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  17. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

The best thing they could do was what did. Document it. Video it. Just think about how many times this happened in the past when there was no cell phone cameras. Get those scum off the streets. They don't deserve to wear the uniform ever again.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm not worried about riots. There will be protests but I think between COVID-19 and that the mayor and MPD Chief have acted very swiftly on this might tamp down the anger over this.

Just a note where this took place isn't too far from where I live and I guess protests will take place there and probably go down the street it took place on which is a major thoroughfare. I'm not too far away but far enough and back where it's more residential I doubt a protest would spill over to where I'm at.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

He actually leaned his entire body weight into him...

T_Man

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

I don't like that word and some others used flippantly, but it's totally appropriate here.

Despicable. I know it happens more often than I know, but seeing it on tape like that...damn.

AleksandarN likes this.