1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I the only one rolling my eyes at the MJ documentary?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, May 23, 2020.

1. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The causal fan watched Jordan as a window shopper to check out Jordan shoes.

The bulls got most of the referee calls yet no one could cry foul whenever bulls got most of rebounds.

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

3. TimDuncanDonaut

I'm in the camp that I don't hate MJ, but am also not 'fan girling' over him. I can appreciate his accolades for what they are, and what he has done for the sport.

The last 30 years, media has way past the line of overpraising / over coverage on MJ. They're caught up more in repeating the myth than covering the man himself.

Because MJ became the symbol of the league, protecting him and building him up is like propping up the league. Indirectly as a NBA fan, I do benefit from the popularity of the league if it gets on TV more, more student athletes play BBall, and the product quality rises.

HOWEVER, we, as general NBA fans, are correct and normal in feeling annoyed at the overhype. It's not hater-ade if main stream sports media over do it. When was the last time you saw a doc on Clyde, Hakeem or even the Mail Man (yes we hate the jazz). If the media only parrots about MJ, once those of us who lived through the bull dynasty dies, all the next generation know is that MJ was relevant and no one else.

I give MJ credit that he's not a media w**** post retirement. Jordan doesn't go out and try to remind people of his accomplishments, but maybe since the media has always overdone it, he doesn't have to.

For me, separating media from MJ, is to a lesser degree like separating LoF from Lin. Is MJ top tier? yes. Is Lin good enough player to play in the NBA? I'd say yes. Are both guys at times overhyped, yes, maybe Lin a bit more. LoF fizzles after Lin stopped playing, but the MJ worshippers keep on going.

Not going to poop on any fan's list if you say MJ is your favorite player or if he tops your best all time list. That's fine. My annoyance is that media only tells of MJ's heroics, where if you cover the 90's it's not just him. And if you're going to interview Karl Malone or Barkley, don't just ask what they think of MJ, those men are accomplished in their own right.

#43 TimDuncanDonaut, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    stilldr34amin' likes this.
  4. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

He was a competitive Narcissist but don't take away from his greatest. You make Rockets fan a big target with that BS op.

daywalker02 and s3ts like this.
  5. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

MJ is the GOAT at basketball but what this documentary showed is that there’s nothing more to him. He comes off shallow, boring, and unsophisticated. On top of that, he isn’t very likeable either. Seems like a total diq whose a little bit too full of himself.

6. choujie

choujie Member

Understandable. He would have got 2 rings and in conversation of top 10 greatest player ever without Jordan.

7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Not a fraud at all... but I don't care to watch the series.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

9. s3ts

s3ts Member

i mean, there's some ignorance there if you think MJ wasn't great. he was hands down an icon of the 90s, set the climate of the NBA for growth and prosperity for the next decades...

NBA has walked around looking really hard to crown somebody else ever since then, we haven't see anything like MJ since.

it takes NOTHING away from Hakeem, he's a singular talent we probably will never see again, and i'm totally with that. but it's not like MJ was talking smack about Hakeem in the docu, it's just something to watch during COVID. i'm not sure why people are so damn hurt.

Duke Fan likes this.
  10. TheresTheDagger

My take aways.

At first, I didn't have much interest in watching it...but then I sorta ran out of things to watch. So...

1. Didn't really learn much I didn't already know about his story.
    2. He can't take criticism, and his story is he uses it to fuel his competitive fire. FIne. That makes him no different than most NBA superstars.
    3. I expected to hear WAY more criticism of MJ from his former teammates. Either they edited it out, decided to not air greivances, or they lied. That tells me this was always gonna be a puff piece about MJ.
    4. Pippen gets a much more honest look than MJ did. I appreciated that. He deserves the more nuanced reputation he built as a quitter and "ME" guy by himself and NOT simply an all time great.
    5. The Rockets got ZERO mention which was disappointing.
    6. This story did NOT need 10 episodes to tell it. It dragged a lot.

11. nono

nono Member

Didn't watch it either. Not interested in learning more about Jordan or the Bulls

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually, the reason the NBA became a global game was this dude:

[​IMG]

... also a guy CF loved to hate.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  13. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

The amount of people here that refuse to watch or hate because of their own team bias is ridiculous. It sheds a light on the best player in a great era of basketball, much better than the one we have now. Stop letting your love for the Rockets ruin things.

14. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Beats the constant LeB!tch dick riding by a long shot.

JumpMan likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The man didn't even play during the Social media era, imagine what the repercussions would be if he did...

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True but OP is a Memphis fan.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  17. PhiSlammaJamma

The real irony is that Isiah Thomas was left off the team, and his position taken by the biggest dick in the entire history of basketball, Christian Laettner. If that isn't the ultimate insult, I don't what is. And I like it. The Pistons won at all costs, and there are consequences that come with it. Done.

18. VanityHalfBlack

Rockets would've smoked the bulls i 93 and 94. 95 is up for debate though. Yes 93 if it wasn't for home court advantage to the Sonics, lol.

19. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Nah, they were going to put a token college player on the team no matter what. From what I heard it was John Stockton or Clyde Drexler who were the last adds to the team instead on Isiah Thomas.

Caesar likes this.