1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yet he still voted for it.

Should he not be criticized?

RayRay10 and Reeko like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Sure but Biden should be criticized more because he was actually proud of the incarceration and punishment part of the bill and authored a even harsher crime bill in 1991. We are comparing these people relative to one another.

Did you watch the video? It's a very obvious distinction in how Biden and Bernie problem solve. Bernie cares more about root causes while Biden believes mass incarceration is the solution.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now you are evolved the discussion to the point of who should be criticized more.

Really?

No I am not comparing these people and never was, simple question should Sanders be criticized for voting for the bill, yes or no?

RayRay10 and Reeko like this.
  4. fchowd0311

Of course we should and unlike Joe, Bernie accepts the criticism and says the bill was terrible and says he made a mistake unlike Joe who still stands by it and thinks it wasn't a mistake.

And yes it has always been implied with our discussion today is a comparison between Biden and Bernie because even you invoked Bernie in replies to me today when the post you replied to didn't even mention Bernie.

And let's not forget multiple times today I stated that I would have preferred Pete over Biden easily. Why Pete dropped out is beyond me. I gave up on chances of Bernie winnings a presidential nomination. It doesn't mean I'll not defend my position that Bernie is a much better candidate than Biden with signifcant less baggage.

5. fchowd0311

It's sad thinking that if Bernie won the nomination, even if the GOP would scream "communist" in a never ending cycle, the national political discourse would poo fling at each more on policy postions rather than who touches more women inappropriately.

If Pete wins the nomination, I also think the discourse would be targeted more towards policy as he has significanltly less baggage than Joe also. I doubt the GOP would attack him for his homosexuality because that's taboo fortunately today even in the establishment GOP.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ilhan Omar says she believes Tara Reade but still voting for Biden.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...a-reade-democrat-sexual-assault-a9532026.html

Ilhan Omar says she believes woman who claims Joe Biden sexually assaulted her
    'I will vote for him and help him defeat Trump'

Democrat "squad" member Ilhan Omar says she believes sexual assault allegations against Joe Biden but would vote for him anyway to defeat Donald Trump.

In a Tweet defending her support of accuser Tara Reade, the Minnesota congresswoman said that "believing survivors is consistent with my values".

"With that said, in this interview I did on 6 May, we talked about that and quotes aren't always in context. I will vote for him and help him defeat Trump," she said.

"This is the most important election cycle of our lifetimes and we aren't going to have a chance if we don't spend our energy in mobilising and building enthusiasm against Trump."

Ms Omar was responding to criticisms of her comments in an interview with The Sunday Times in which she said she believes Ms Reade, who has filed an official police complaint alleging Mr Biden put her up against a wall and penetrated her with his fingers while she was a senate staffer in the early 1990s.

While Ms Omar suggested "quotes aren't always in context", The Sunday Times Washington bureau chief Josh Glancy told The Independent there was nothing in her quotes that had been taken remotely out of context.

"But luckily this was all on the record. Take a look and judge for yourself," Mr Glancy said.

When asked if she believed Ms Reade, Ms Omar's full response was: "There's a lot of unsavoury stuff. It is troubling, I do believe Tara Reade, I believe it's important for us to give space for women to come forward and share their stories. It takes years and years for sexual assault survivors to come forward. Justice can be delayed but it should never be denied."

When asked if that means Mr Biden should not be the candidate: "If considerations [over the candidate] were something I had influence over, just candidly here, we'd probably have a different candidate."

Ms Omar is the latest high-profile supporter of Mr Biden to receive criticism for saying they would vote for the former vice president even if they believed allegations to be true or they thought he was the wrong candidate, with the Nation columnist Katha Pollitt receiving heavy criticism for saying she would vote for Mr Biden even if he boiled babies and ate them.

"He wasn't my candidate, but taking back the White House is that important," Ms Pollitt wrote.

Biden has denied the claims and said if Americans believe Tara Reade, "they probably shouldn't vote for me".

'I wouldn't vote for me if I believed Tara Reade,' he added in the MSNBC interview.

Ms Reade's attorney Douglas Wigdor resigned from her case on Friday following the publication of new details of her past, including questions over whether or not she lied about graduating from Antioch University in Seattle.

Mr Wigdor said it was not a reflection on whether the allegations against Mr Biden were true, and that much of the reporting on Ms Reade was intended to victim shame and attacked her credibility on unrelated matters.

Ms Omar is the second "squad" member to directly address the allegations after Ayanna Pressley published an open letter calling on Mr Biden to address rape allegations with "empathy".

"I reject the false choice that my party and our nominee can't address the allegations at hand and defeat the occupant of the White House," Ms Pressley wrote.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This was never about Biden vs Sanders you took it there.

This was about you claiming that black voted for biden because of tainted black leadership telling them to.

You can deflect all you want but everybody knows what you are implying and now you want to change the subject.

And you still can't criticize Sanders for voting for the bill, you would think that somebody who was so opposed and so principled would have voted no.

RayRay10, Reeko and T_Man like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am starting to think Omar is not very bright and will not have long in the House.

She is trying to have it both ways.

RayRay10 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  9. fchowd0311

Tainted LEADERSHIP. No need to single out black leadership. Look at the wording of my posts. I clearly state their caucus and PAC are like the majority of Congressional leadership.

It's a systemic problem with our current political system. There's even a well known term for it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolving_door_(politics)?wprov=sfla1

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You are the one who singled out black leadership.

I see where this is going and you are just arguing to argue and have no real point.

I'm out.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Much respect for your loyalty, but...
    [​IMG]
    Eugene McCarthy was our Sanders back in '68, McGovern was our Sanders in '72. America is still not ready for the change we seek. Regrettable, but reality.

If you really want to correct the mistake we made in 2016 it's time to turn your attention to the real target. Otherwise, sit this one out.

TheFreak, RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing I've noticed is that many Biden is simultaneously criticized as someone who has done nothing except stand by black people while also being criticized over a long history of votes and legislation he has worked on such as the the Iraq War and the Crime Bill.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Then stick with speaking about Trump and not about the black community.. As you stated you're an OUTSIDER...

It kills me that people who are not from the black community want to speak for us on what we should or shouldn't do... I haven't lived your life and I have no business on telling you what to or what not to do... So respect the black community by doing the same..

T_Man

RayRay10, Reeko and jiggyfly like this.
  14. fchowd0311

I'll express my opinions on public policy and politics. I'm not going to apologize because you go to the worst possible assumptions when you disagree with someone.

I'm not going to only "stick to Trump". I'll discuss whatever I feel like discussing unless a site moderator tells me otherwise.

#2094 fchowd0311, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  15. T_Man

Like Jiggy stated... You just want to argue for Sanders...

Great... have fun with that...

I have no offense with you stating that the CBC leaders are in it for themselves...

But trying to tell the BLACK community what to do, when you're not even BLACK is just ludicrous...

T_Man

RayRay10, Reeko and jiggyfly like this.
  16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Trump loses the alt-Right children are going to spend the next 4 years throwing a tantrum because they dont get to have ice cream for breakfast.

Next non-trump presidential term is all about unwinding the people trump wound up. Guaranteed grandpa joe gets called a communist a few times if its him. Whoever it is isnt getting anything done. Trump fanboys are sore losers and their dear leader is the sorest loser of them all. They thought this was the start of the thousand year reich.

RayRay10 and T_Man like this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Every woman having the right to be heard is not the same thing as believing every woman and ignoring the facts and evidence.

The reason every women has a right to be heard and should have their voices heard with sincerity is because when a woman makes an allegation, it’s such a no win situation for them that taking that kind of a risk and making their lives that more difficult isn’t something you do to yourself willy nilly.

But Omar here seems to be just trying too hard to sound like the biggest feminist in the room that she runs the risk of diminishing the impact of the metoo movement. She could have answered the question in 100 different ways that are more fair both to the validity of the movement and to Joe Biden. Joe Biden has no right to publicly scold Reade and call her names like Trump does, but he does deserve the right to explain the facts that he and all other accused men are allowed to provide.

I too think she’s likely to lose in the fall, and I doubt a ton of Democrats are going to be too heartbroken over it. Losing AOC or Ayanna Presley though would be a shame. Those two have really grown into the role while Thalib and Omar still haven’t matured from activist to leader.

18. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Agreed. “Believe all women” is patently ridiculous

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. T_Man

Some women are making it real bad for the women that have gone thru something tragic..

Its a crying shame that some people crave attention and drama...

T_Man

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and dobro1229 like this.
  20. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Yes. “Listen to Women” or something like that is the way to look at it. The point is that they were laughed away in the past, no matter how credible their story was. Tara Reade was vetted and failed the litmus test. Omar needs to admit she was wrong

RayRay10 and T_Man like this.