1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2. Major

Major Member

FrontRunner likes this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes I understand the risks and I have known people that have had it too. I'm not doing this because I think I'm indestructible or because I'm being selfish. I'm doing it because I've spent a lot of time researching things and I'm comfortable with the decision based on the data. I'm not around high risk groups like yourself. If I was then my decision would be different. I know your stance on things and based on my research I think it's taking caution to an absurdly high level for someone in my position.

You are also hoping for a vaccine that has a decent percent chance of never coming. We have ZERO vaccines for human coronaviruses. The current best treatments we have are taking care of your body thru proper nutrition and exercise. You are also still worried about long term chronic issues that still have not shown themselves. There is zero indication that they happen.

Based on everything I've seen I think the extreme caution you have is just not rational or logical. From my perspective I have been helping people to understand what is going on with covid, where the risks are, and what we can do about them. I don't think promoting paralyzing fear is responsible or justified. I think it's actually very hurtful. For example, one of my good friends is afraid to go run on the hike and bike trail where risk of infection is effectively zero. He is in a very low risk group as well. He thinks he's being safe and responsible by taking this stance when there is nothing to justify it.

Maybe you are right, but also you might want to consider that there is a lot of data to indicate to the contrary and that promoting an inflexible, one size fits all approach is hurtful.

BTW I'm not trying to be rude with my post, and I say all this with peace and love <3 but I feel like we need to adjust to things as more information presents itself.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

If it were me, I would put people back to work developing an infrastructure against future pandemics. Then I could justify it. People would have purpose. Something would be built. We'd be building a future together. Then the risk might be worth the reward. But right now I don't see purpose in our decision. It feels unnecessarily risky to breathe life into something we are suffocating.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Would be really nice to have information on this. I'd love to put the kids back in school because wife and I are both WFH and it is impossible to do that AND attempt homeschool for two toddlers.

Yung-T likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, this is a novel virus. No one knows what the long term effects of this are. I've seen the research and yes there is a likelihood there aren't long term effects, none of that is certain and the more we learn about this virus especially effects on other parts of the body. You're right we don't have a vaccine, we don't know if herd immunity is even possible. That would point towards behaving with caution. We're only a few months into this crisis acting on uncertain info. Frankly the argument I hear from people like yourself saying we should adjust to new data the only data cited seems to be heavily biased to justify an outcome.

I can agree that perhaps being afraid to run outside is excessive but doing BJJ isn't running outside. I agree that we shouldn't be paralyzed by fear and that we can open up and get back to certain things but you're making the jump from balancing the need for social interactions with controlling a highly contagious disease to an activity that is very conducive to disease transmission. It's the difference during an STD outbreak going from having drinks at a bar with someone to jumping in bed with them.

#7727 rocketsjudoka, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  8. Outlier

Outlier Member

How is this guy our mayor? He talks like a high school student

Astrodome, cheke64 and RKREBORN like this.
  9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Answered your own question right there.
    Talking like a HS student or toddler even nets you the presidency in the modern USA, gotta be on the same playing field as your voters.

10. conquistador#11

Ouch. Yuge Nasty comment, totally.

11. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Acres Homes represent!

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think educating those around us is the most important thing we can do. My folks live in Mexico and I tell them everyday to do their very best to practice social distancing and proper hygiene measures, but outside of this, the reality is that you don't know who is carrying what around. The hope is that we develop therapeutics and a vaccine that will allow us to be comfortable enough to return to normality, but what if that takes 2 years to happen? What if it takes longer? Are we just going to sit around and wait? My guess is that most of us will grow impatient, including many of those that want to keep stricter measures in place, and a "X" number of deaths will become an accepted normality.

13. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The article addresses some of the reasons New York/New Jersey may have had higher fatality rates, including:

- Possible higher viral counts on initial infection due to congested mass transit
    - The decision by the government to return or keep sick elderly patients in nursing homes rather than separating them (like they've done in places with lower fatality rates)
    - The hypothesis that New York/New Jersey just had a worse strain
    - The socio economic background of those dying

Major likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Isn’t the main reason (like northern Italy) because the curve busted through the ICU capacity threshold, so that there were many unnecessary deaths.

15. Buck Turgidson

Happened to drive by the Home Depot here in Marble Falls a minute ago...I don't know if they're having a sale or what but I've never seen that parking lot totally full before, literally full, there were a few spots over on the garden center side next to the for sale portable buildings. You couldn't pay me to go there right now.

On another note, if you want to buy a bait stand, the Waymore (used to be Thomas's) at 281/1431 across from the Texaco now has a for sale sign on it, listed as commercial property so I'm sure it'll get torn down and some b.s. put in its place. That made me sad, it's only been there for 80 years or so.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

One of my customers is a Home Depot supervisor in the area and he was saying that they are just putting up stupid, ridiculous numbers right now. For 3 months straight, they have been putting up Holiday numbers and have doubled their typical weekly sale by more than double.

Yung-T and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Houston going full Florida mode and in 1-2 months when the 2nd wave smacks us down again, all these folks are going to blame everyone but themselves.

Yung-T likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With what we're seeing lately with all states not relaxing their standards, crowded beaches, people having crowded pool parties, and etc.. "X' number of deaths have already become the accepted normality..

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

And if nothing happens?

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Then that is great, nothing happens! No one is wishing sickness on others, it would just be wise to practice some common sense. If this virus didn't spread human to human, no one would give two ***** if people choose to potentially expose themselves. The problem is that we may work with some of these individuals and then these individuals pass on **** to us and maybe it doesn't affect us but maybe it affects someone in our home, etc. That's the problem. If you want to go have fun, not worry about the risk and then isolate yourself after you have fun, fantastic! But that isn't the case. These are the same people that won't wear a mask either.

No one wants to be caught in the wave that you catch this **** and it kills you or it leaves lasting damage. Statistics may be in our favor, but it doesn't mean we want to catch this ****.

I think that's a fair assessment, isn't it?

#7740 ElPigto, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020