1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Also, my 17 year old babysitter's mother went from being a healthy 40 year old nurse to being hospitalized with bronchitis, pleural effusions and hyponatremia in a matter of three days. She's tested negative for covid 3 times during her admission. But it's a hospital developed test.

AND she's hospitalized on the same floor that these two employees tested positive on.

So, we're out a babysitter. Mom wants her daughter staying at home and I can't blame her.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

what kind of work did you do?

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Oh damn. I’m really sorry man. All my best. Knowing you you’ll bounce back fast if the right opportunity is there for you.

Yung-T and jcf like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that. I'm an owner in my company so can't get laid off but I had two major projects get on hold in April and I make my money by billable hours. It's been picking up somewhat in the last week and just started a new project. Hopefully things work out for you.

In the meantime don't wait to apply for unemployment. There are some long wait times so it's best to apply as soon as you can.

6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'd just tell her to take the pay loss and get tested...she doesn't have PTO?

7. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Texas DSHS has finally decoupled antibody tests with viral nasal swabs tests from their data dashboard.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/0d8bdf9be927459d9cb11b9eaef6101f

A couple of take aways I get out of this

- viral test positivity rate will be a little higher than we thought since the antibody tests were dragging down positivity rates. However since the amount of antibody tests is still small compared to viral tests, the impact should not be huge.

- the uptick shown for 5/19 and 5/20 is most likely due to removal of the antibody tests. Since the positivity number on the graph is a rolling 7 day average, I'd expect the positivity rate on the graph to increase for 7 days until the antibody test data is washed out completely.

- I really really hope the sharp dip on 5/13 and plateau afterwards is not only an effect of the antibody test and that the upward slope from 5/10-5/12 is only due to the cluster of meat packing cases in the panhandles rather than a statewide trend. We'll have to wait for a few more days to see.

- Antibody test positivity rate is 4.29% (2114 positive / 49313 tests). That number is both encouraging and discouraging. We are still extremely far from herd immunity, but since the documented cases only account for 0.2% of the population, there is a very large amount of people that were asymptomatic or had very mild cases.

Though one caveat is that 4.29% is likely an upper bound of current antibody prevalence. Those who would get antibody tests now are going to skew towards those who suspected they had already contracted and recovered from coronavirus and those who came in close contact with a positive person (healthcare worker, family member of a positive patient etc.) both of which will skew positive.

Amiga likes this.
  8. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

so whats going on with the virus? things getting better/worse i have no idea how to gauge the severity of this through news. i have covid news fatigue, much as i had trump news fatigue not to long ago

R0ckets03, Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

not specifically but yes, that type of study. There are so many going on, which is a great thing!

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hector Salamanca bump

Edit,,,,heypee beat me to it

Staying positive in the time of Corona...

#7690 Invisible Fan, May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I too want to know what @sammy job was. Law-something?

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

She doesn't seem to want to be tested. Doesn't necessarily care about her co-workers I guess.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I figured I wouldn’t include the discussion part here so we don’t have to go down that rabbit hole just yet but it is very interesting.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

okay, I read that paper and... meh. No lab work, per se. just molecular simulations on a computer.

I am most sympathetic to computational biology when it is married to lab work of some kind.

but anyway, the spike protein has something curious going on, as I’m hearing it.

Nook, robbie380 and daywalker02 like this.
  15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that. My company (large multi-national) cut everyone's salaries by 20% this month. 2020 just suuuuuucks

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If you listen to the local news there's too much fear mongering, if you watch the stats they're too vague. Either way you're misled.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thats his brother from another mother- Viktor Salamanski

18. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

We just got a cut too. Only 5%, but they also cancelled our 401K match and essentially our bonus plan as well.

Cuts are supposed to be dependent on when we reach a certain EBITDA level, and we're not projected to hit it anytime soon. Companies are probably actually looking at these pay cuts as "the new normal".

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

20. YOLO

YOLO Member