1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets 1980-1992, 1993-2006, 2007-2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, May 20, 2020.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Rockets in Houston were founded in 1980? Which one is the best for both regular season and playoffs?
    1980-1992
    1993-2006
    2007-2020 Morey

jboslett likes this.
  2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Obviously the championship years.

I will say, as a kid going to games in the mid-70s was a lot of fun. The place was rarely crowded so you sneak down to the lower level and nobody cared. Those years couldn't be beat if you loved hoops just for hoops.

74-75 was a blast. We made the playoffs, beat the Knicks (but then lost to Boston), and Mike Newlin was my favorite player, though I also liked Rudy T and Calvin. I must have seen 10-12 games that year at Hofheinz. I think that was the last year before the Summit, which was still a good experience for a kid, but it was harder to sneak down to better seats. Much easier to do at Aeros games, which were kind of cool even though I understood bupkiss about hockey back then.

Anyway, after moving to the Summit and certainly after Moses came, the modern era of attendance kicked off and the Summit became much more regimented and increasingly expensive.

jboslett, fattz, htwnbandit and 3 others like this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les Alexander erased Steve Patterson from Houston Rockets History, but the 99ers won't let it happen here.
    Robert Horry, Sam, Mario, Vernon, Kenny, OT, and Rudy T were his signature moves

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

gotta go the championship years...
    I mean the more current era has been far more consistent as far as record - but the goal is championship(s)...

some on here like to tout stats as some sorta replacement for actually winning a championship - some still consider them seasons to 'cherish' - and thats all well and good... but the goal is championship(s) - end of story...

and i dont even have to be a '99er to know this... ;) lol

5. kjayp

thats how summer league here in Vegas used to be... you could move around and actually walk up and talk to guys like JVG, Adelman, Ainge, McHale, Elgin Baylor, etc... that aint how it is now... lol

6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

no idea what this even means

Examples of this occurring please?

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The current era has been a bunch of what ifs

What if Yao didn't go down in 2009
    What if Dmo, Bev, Howard were fully healthy in 2015
    What if Chris Paul didn't go down in 2018

jboslett and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. kjayp

It means quit telling me what a great coach MDA is if he's gonna sit there and watch us continue to chuck and go 0-27 and get bumped from the playoffs... idgaf what his efficiencies are if he cant close the deal...
    It means when Harden disappears in the 4th qtr of a crucial game that we lose - dont recite his stats to me - bc they dont matter as much as progressing to the next round...
    It means idc about our reg season greatness, or how often we've made the playoffs, or any of the other myriad of stats that people like to quote as though they are a replacement for winning a championship...
    and nobody in the org should be quoting and citing reg season accomplishments and saying 'its still a season to cherish even without a championship' when there's still the post season to play...

The goal is a championship - period.

It's like the season with JBB that D12 got froze out of the offense and Harden was posting insane numbers while responsible for an inordinately huge % of our total offense.. idgaf about Hardens numbers... 1 guy wasnt gonna carry us through the playoffs regardless of his greatness. We should have diversified our offense and got more guys involved so we could have the potential to have guys contribute in the post season - but we didnt. We snuck into the playoffs and got bumped in the first round... but everybody was all geeked about the numbers Harden was putting up. Les and Morey were happy to keep the postseason app streak alive. Maybe we didnt have the horses to get more of a contribution on offense (CC, Bev, Trez, D12, DMo, Beas, KJ...) - but we should have at least tried to put ourselves in the position for a deep run. Worst case scenario we coulda given more guys an opportunity to contribute, missed the playoffs and snapped the streak - but at least we still woulda had our 1at rd pick we gave up in the Ty Lawson deal (that was predicated on whether or not we made the playoffs...)

Screw reg season accomplishments - I want another ring, dammit! I'm about resting guys in the reg season to have more juice for the postseason - reg season record be damned. I'm about utilizing everybody on the roster during the reg season to hopefully develop someone who can contribute in the postseason - screw the efficiencies. I'm about having backup plans and adjustments at the ready - so things like 0-27 dont happen - to hell with trying to be revered for being an 'offensive visionary'...

does that provide better clarification?

/rant

lol

BigBum and jboslett like this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

that's on your dwiva though. he was the cancer not anyone else

11. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I think we should all be grateful for the fact that the Rockets have always been competitive throughout the years and we don’t have to endure long painful slumps that some fanbases have to endure.

12. HROZ

HROZ Member

Obvs the 'ship years.
    Plus you get the rebuild and hype of Yao & Tmac years.

And not the disappointing failure it ended up being (mostly due to injuries)

13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

God speed United States, Houston, and worldwide.
    Morey is potentially devastating or potentially awesome.

It didn't get worse than Kevin Martin. Rafer alston was peak for morey with 22 straight wins. Harden, Westbrook and house are here and future bright with house and even hartenstein since the team gave draft picks away for shumpert.

#13 smoothie_king, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

u know good and gawd damn well no one is saying stats are replacement for a championship, so cut that bullsh*t

don’t make stuff up so that u can rant against some fake narrative you’ve made up in your head

15. kjayp

Hey man, if you dont wanna read what I'm writing... dont wanna hear what I got to say... thats fine... theres a block button - use it.

Obviously nobody is straight up saying "I'd rather we have good stats - screw a championship..." but when we consistently fall short of the goal - a championship - and folks want to defend the status quo by ballyhooing stats... or disregard shortcomings or lack of effort because of these other stats...
    Why do we often keep starters in games late that are pretty much already decided? Is that with a goal of a championship - or inflating stats?

BigBum likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Defend the status quo? Or are people using stats to back up their arguments and show what the real issues are and what is actually preventing us from winning a title? Also, nobody here disregards shortcomings or lack of effort. That’s another false narrative. There are many who like to pick on certain shortcomings and act like they’re the main reason we haven’t won a title which is laughable.

this attack on people who use stats, especially by misconstruing what they are doing, is weak

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You're off a decade, OP. They moved to Houston from San Diego in 1971. ;-)

kjayp likes this.
  18. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

2015 would have been dope if we were healthy. We played the Warriors so close in games 1 and 2 despite having two 38 year old pg’s. No real shooting, Howard began that season so strong before the injuries.
    Imagine if we had the Howard that began the season, D Mo was looking awesome, Bev was Bev... we would have had a decent shot.

2018 was ultra heartbreaking.

2019 was pure frustration..

2020 needs to be cancelled

That said, short of championship we have had an excellent 4 year run. Top 3 team in each of those seasons.

19. kjayp

You are entitled to your opinion, bro... takes all kinds to fill the freeway...

but if you believe that "nobody here disregards shortcomings or lack of effort" I would have to call that a false narrative... Not to single out or pick on James, but the most obvious example is everyone who made excuses for Hardens lack of defensive effort in years past... or are you denying that plenty of people made excuses for the turnstile defense he was guilty of - because of his high usage rate on offense in the past?

If MDA sucks at making in game adjustments... then thats an issue (or shortcoming)... but to then retort with his record and stats and say he's great... still doesnt mean that his in game adjustments arent an area requiring improvement.

I'm not attacking people who use stats... I'm saying that stats should not be used as a way to excuse shortcomings...

#19 kjayp, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it would definitely be weird to root for a hopeless team. whether it's just one season of 20 wins or 7 or 8 seasons straight of 25-35 wins. since we drafted hakeem, which was 35 seasons ago, we've had 3 losing seasons. and all 3 were directly attributable to massive amounts of injury, so you never thought the following year would be horrible. we've had plenty of 41-45 win seasons, but at least those are competitive teams that stand a reasonable chance most nights.