1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Election 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, May 13, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, that's just like...
    [​IMG]
    ... based on all available factual evidence, man.

Nook and Deckard like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Constant, provable lies...

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

try harder

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Lulz. Still using MS Paint. You can’t afford photoshop?

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

And this is why all the liberals who speak out against the electoral college are dead wrong when they advocate for a popular vote.

It doesn't matter what the election results are because we don't elect our president by the popular vote - the electors do. They choose the president based on how each state assigns electors based on the outcome of the vote in their state and it is those electors who vote in the president.

In order words, Trump and Congress don't have the power to do anything about that. It's possible the Supreme Court could get involved ala Florida 2000 but it's unlikely they could actually change the results in a significant way and across multiple states.

The White House isn't the seat of Power that determines who is president. It's the Constitution and the People. If Trump decides he is still president despite losing somehow despite all this, then the result would almost be certainly be civil war as each branch of gov't, each depart, the people, and the military would have to decide who they saw as president.

So really there's no choice for him but to concede. He either loses and accepts it, or he drives the country into civil war.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This is potentially a huge deal. Unlike Wisconsin, Texas has a "disability clause" in the state's election laws. I can get a ballot mailed to me for the election in November, as can my significant other, fill it out at home, then mail it in. It has to be counted. That's because we're over the age of 65.

If we were disabled or had an illness that prevented us voting, we could do the same thing. That's what I call the "disability clause." The whole thing is designed to suppress the vote, which is what happened in Wisconsin. Wisconsin didn't have this loophole. The partisan majority of the US Supreme Court, in my opinion, will be forced to allow voting by mail in Texas due to the pandemic. Covid-19 is certainly a "disability or illness." There is no discernible election fraud in Texas, which is always the excuse used by the Republican Party in Texas and other states in their effort to suppress the vote.

If the Federal judge's ruling holds up on appeal, and it will be appealed, this could upend the Republican Party's grip on Texas politics, in my humble opinion. Fingers crossed that justice prevails. Explanation of the law below:

Under existing law, Texas voters qualify for ballots they can fill out at home and mail only if they are 65 years or older, have a disability or illness, will be out of the county during the election period, or are confined in jail.

The Democrats argued that the age limitation violates the U.S. Constitution because it would impose additional burdens on voters who are younger than 65 during the pandemic, and Biery agreed. Biery also found the plaintiffs were likely to succeed in proving the rules violate the 26th Amendment's protections against voting restrictions that discriminate based on age.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Vote by mail, why not vote by PC or mobile too?

DD

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

hacking

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not if everyone is assigned a code for one time use -- and yes hacking exists now....lol.
    DD

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

I don’t understand why people are afraid of hacking. We do mobile banking. You can require things like Google Authenticator to make it more secure. So fcking dumb I can’t vote online.

DaDakota likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's not that part that is the issue.

With paper ballots there is a paper trail. Given the efforts of countries like Russia to hack into our systems, I think protecting the voting system is critical.

Mail works.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

I don’t own stamps. I’m 3008, our political system is so 2000 and late.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and desihooper like this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Mail-in ballots don't require postage.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

There’s a giant anthill by my mailbox, and it’s across the street. There’s methheads out there.

I want an app or Trump is going to be prez again.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

sucks for you

19. Nook

Nook Member

The President has alluded to ****ing his own daughter. When asked what he and his daughter have in common he said “I was going to say a love of sex”. His own daughter has had to awkwardly pull away from him when he kissed her and grabbed her hips.

Do you really want to play the “creepy Biden” angle when the President wants to mount his own daughter?

Maybe find a more fruitful line of attack.

20. Nook

Nook Member

You have more confidence in the system than I do after seeing the last 20 years of executive power growth and the complete lack of accountability for corruption (especially the last 3 years).

Ultimately all Trump needs to not leave office is the Supreme Court and he has the majority there. Again it would hypothetically all rest in the hands of the second most powerful man in the USA; Justice Roberts.

B-Bob and Newlin like this.