1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jordan/Bulls Documentary] 'The Last Dance'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 16, 2020.

1. Fantasma Negro

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

:D

Michael Jordan Jamming Out
    @JordanJamming
    What was MJ really listening to?

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I can't believe it's over. Well done, and it definitely could've went longer than 10 episodes.

I know it's the "Last Dance", but I wish there was another episode where they continue the story after that 2nd 3 peat. Retirement, Wizards, ownership of Charlotte. Plus the others, Kerr winning a 4th in a row with SA, Pippen to Houston, et all...

I read somewhere he's worth over $2B, majority of cash coming through endorsements...It's gotta be the shoes! #goat

BigM, Caesar and D-rock like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Utah Pizza Guy Tells His Version Of Delivery To Michael Jordan On Eve Of 'Flu Game'

The man who made the pizza Michael Jordan ate the night before Game 5 of the 1997 Finals has come forward to share his side of the story.

Craig Fite was working a new job as an assistant manager at the Pizza Hut in Park City, Utah when an order arrived from the Marriott. Fite lived in Utah, but was a huge Jordan fan and named his son after him.

“I had bets, wagers with everybody on the store with it,” Fite told “The Big Show” on 1280 The Zone in Salt Lake City.

Fite washed his hands and didn't let the cooks make the pizza.

“I will make the pizza because I don’t want any of you doing anything to it,” Fite said.

Jordan and his entourage said that five guys from a local pizza place showed up with the delivery and that caused concern about tampering.

“Five guys delivering one pizza?” Tim Grover said. “They’re all trying to look in. I take the pizza. I pay them. I put this pizza down. I say, ‘I’ve got a bad feeling about this pizza.’ ”

“I ate the pizza,” Jordan said. “All by myself. Nobody else ate the pizza. I wake up about 2:30 throwing up left and right … It really wasn’t the flu game. It was food poisoning.”

Fite disputed what was broadcast on ESPN.

“That’s a bunch of crap,” Fite said. “Sorry, we were five creepy looking guys that the guy felt threatened? I guess you have to sell your book but it really wasn’t that exciting.”

Fite says it was just himself and his delivery driver.

“There were two of us,” Fite said. “I didn’t even have that many people working [at the Pizza Hut].”

Fite was greeted at the door by Grover.

“‘Hey, can I at least say hi to Mike?’” Fite said he said. “I mean, why not? It’s my one shot. The door kind of opens up a little more. Mike is sitting at the chair, he’s playing cards or whatever, raises his hand and says, ‘Thanks man.’ The guy looks at me and shuts the door.”

Fite also confirmed that Jordan was in Park City at least until approximately 11 PM, which dispels the rumor that Jordan went to Las Vegas for a night of gambling and partying.

buffalobills!!! and D-rock like this.
  6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Two of the greatest things for me as a Rockets/Houston Sports fan that have come out of this doc: People have totally shifted from discussing weather he'd have won 8 straight had he not retired the first time (and in a roundabout way putting asterisks on both our championships), to weather he'd have won 7 had he stayed in 1999.

Also, this firmly put a sock into the LeBron-Jordan GOAT debate. I used to like LeBron until he started basically becoming anti-Houston by siding with China when Morey sent those tweets, being a Cowboys fan, and the washing machine that broke the camel's back for me being his production company greenlighting a doc about the Astros cheating scandal. Shut up and dribble, LeBron. Even then you're not half the player Jordan was. At the very least, Jordan has always shown great respect for Dream.

[​IMG]

Caesar, D-rock, JumpMan and 1 other person like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

God I can't stand Lebron. He tries to make everything about himself. When Kobe died he said "I have to carry his legacy!" When the MJ documentary came on "he was like Jesus to me!" This dude has a massive inferiority complex.

LeBron James mulls role as Michael Jordan teammate: 'My best assets work perfectly'
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ole-mj-teammate-my-best-assets-work-perfectly

LeBron James Shares His Thoughts on 'The Last Dance' Finale and How Important Jordan Was to Him
    https://www.complex.com/sports/2020/05/lebron-james-talks-about-espn-documentary-the-last-dance

LeBron James said that one scene from 'The Last Dance' nearly had him in tears
    https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/04/lebron-james-michael-jordan-the-last-dance-reaction-celebration

LeBron James Calls Michael Jordan His ‘Angel, Inspiration' After The Last Dance Finale
    https://people.com/sports/lebron-ja...ngel-inspiration-after-the-last-dance-finale/

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Horace!

In a radio interview with Kap and Co. on ESPN 1000 in Chicago on Tuesday, Grant said it "is a downright, outright, completely lie" that he leaked much of the information in Sam Smith's famous "The Jordan Rules" book, as Jordan alleged during the documentary.

"Lie, lie, lie. ... If MJ had a grudge with me, let's settle this like men," Grant said during the interview. "Let's talk about it. Or we can settle it another way. But yet and still, he goes out and puts this lie out that I was the source behind [the book]. Sam and I have always been great friends. We're still great friends. But the sanctity of that locker room, I would never put anything personal out there. The mere fact that Sam Smith was an investigative reporter. That he had to have two sources, two, to write a book, I guess. Why would MJ just point me out?

"It's only a grudge, man. I'm telling you, it was only a grudge. And I think he proved that during this so-called documentary. When if you say something about him, he's going to cut you off, he's going to try to destroy your character."

Grant noted that some of Jordan's closest relationships have deteriorated over the years because of critical comments made about him.

"Charles Barkley, they've been friends for over 20, 30 years," Grant said. "And he said something about Michael's management with the Charlotte Bobcats or the Charlotte Hornets, and then they haven't spoken since then. And my point is, he said that I was the snitch, but yet and still after 35 years he brings up his rookie year going into one of his teammate's rooms and seeing coke, and weed and women. My point is: Why the hell did he want to bring that up? What's that got to do with anything? I mean, if you want to call somebody a snitch, that's a damn snitch right there."

Like other former teammates, Grant was unhappy with the portrayal of various players and situations throughout the documentary.

"I would say [it was] entertaining, but we know, who was there as teammates, that about 90 percent of it -- I don't know if I can say it on air, but B.S. in terms of the realness of it," Grant said. "It wasn't real -- because a lot of things [Jordan] said to some of his teammates, that his teammates went back at him. But all of that was kind of edited out of the documentary, if you want to call it a documentary."

One of the storylines throughout the documentary centered on Jordan's bullying of his teammates. Grant said Jordan's behavior sometimes crossed the line.

"He felt that he could dominate me, but that was sadly mistaken," Grant said. "Because whenever he went at me, I went at him right back. But in terms of Will Perdue, Steve Kerr and the young man, Scott Burrell, that was heartbreaking [to watch]. To see a guy, a leader, to go at those guys like that. I understand in terms of practicing, you have a push and shove here and there, but outright punching and things of that nature. And calling them the B's and the H's, that wasn't called for."

In a separate interview earlier this month on KNBR in San Francisco, Smith relayed a story about Jordan telling flight attendants not to serve Grant food on the plane after a bad game. Grant said Tuesday that the story is true, but also said he always went right back at Jordan after the criticism.

"Anybody [who] knows me, as a rookie, if anybody comes up and tries to snatch my food away, I'm going to do my best to beat their ass," Grant said. "And believe me, back then, I could have took MJ in a heartbeat. Yes, it's true that he told the flight attendant, 'Well, don't give him anything because he played like crap.' And I went right back at him. I said some choice words that I won't repeat here. But I said some choice words and stood up. 'If you want it, you come and get it.' And of course, he didn't move. He was just barking. But that was the story. But anybody [who] knows me, where I come from and what I stand for, come on, man. There's nobody in this earth would ever come and try to take food off my plate and not get their rear ends beaten."

Grant said that the last time he spoke with Jordan was about three years ago in a series of text messages about golf. Grant said he thinks they would be respectful toward each other if they saw each other, but he isn't concerned about whether the relationship has run its course.

"The crazy thing, for one of my charities he sent me an autographed pair of shoes," Grant said. "I don't understand it. If he had some difference with me, he could have text me, he could have called me, the whole nine yards. But if I see him today, we would hopefully pay our respects to each other because we went through three championships together. But if not, believe me, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it."

Grant also defended former teammate Scottie Pippen, who has not spoken publicly since the documentary began to air last month. As ESPN's Jackie MacMullan wrote earlier this month, Pippen has been stung by his portrayal in the documentary.

"I have never seen a quote unquote number two guy, as decorated as Scottie Pippen, portrayed so badly," Grant said when asked whether he thinks Pippen was portrayed fairly in the documentary. "In terms of the migraine, in terms of the 1.[8] seconds, [Jordan calling him] selfish. I have never seen this in all of my life. And the respect of, Pip was out there in Game 6 [of the '98 Finals], could barely walk, getting knocked down on his back. Tried to do whatever he could to help that team. My point is, why was that 1.[8] seconds in the documentary, so-called documentary, about Pip?

"MJ wasn't even on the team. Why was that in there? We handled that that year really well as a team. Pip knows that he was wrong for doing it, but yet and still we went after the game. Bill Cartwright stood up and said what he had to say, and then we handled it, it was over. It was over. We go on to take the Knicks to seven games. It was over. Why bring that up? That's my question to everybody out there who's listening."

The interview concluded with Grant being asked why he repeatedly referred to "The Last Dance" as a "so-called documentary." Some have pointed to the fact that two of Jordan's closest confidantes, Estee Portnoy and Curtis Polk, were executive producers on the docuseries as an indication that Jordan had final say and creative control over the project. Director Jason Hehir has pushed back against that criticism, but Grant didn't hesitate about what he believes to be a slanted point of view in favor of Jordan in the docuseries.

"When that so-called documentary is about one person, basically, and he has the last word on what's going to be put out there ... it's not a documentary," Grant said. "It's his narrative of what happens in the last, quote-unquote, dance. That's not a documentary, because a whole bunch of things was cut out, edited out. So that's why I call it a so-called documentary."

D-rock likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Some of what Grant says is true, but I don't really agree with his argument that Pippen's migraine and the Kukoc shot shouldn't have been in the documentary. Both of those incidents were major stories for the Bulls, and it would be crazy not to mention them.

D-rock likes this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

And there it is, Horace confirming my suspicions that MJ was not portrayed as he was at all, understandable with having the last word - should've been the title! It's a given they left out a lot of incriminating stuff. All of the negative and honesty had to come from other players and the outside world, not the documentary itself. It was still entertaining and I still rate it as a good series, but this is leaving a big stain on it for sure.

13. JW86

JW86 Member

Agreed! They were right to cover that, but I think this is the point I was making before that the series suffers from caught in-between a Bulls and MJ documentary. For a Bulls documentary it's fine, for an MJ focused one the 1994 part should probably not have focused so much on it or even cover it.

Patience likes this.
  14. Patience

Yeah, you're right. It is too much of an MJ documentary, especially the last half.

JW86 likes this.
  15. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Cam someone explain to me why a Rocket fan should care to watch the Last Dance? Honest answer please

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  16. Patience

For people my age, Jordan and the Bulls were an inescapable cultural phenomenon. Jordan (and Air Jordan sneakers) are probably one of the main reasons I started watching basketball in the first place, which then got me interested in the Rockets. I am a Rockets fan first, but this documentary (especially the 89-93 years) definitely took me down memory lane.

buffalobills!!! and JW86 like this.
  17. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Sam Cassell and Mario Ellie should be coaching in Chicago shiet!

If Kevin mchale and Luke Walton are nba coaches then surely Toni kukoc needs to be with Chicago bulls coaching/scouting after 1998 game 7.

For the bulls to have thibodeaux, the question needs to be asked about Toni kukoc!

#397 smoothie_king, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
  18. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Yah, I'm Gen X too and I remember watching the Bulls games but these days I can't seem to garner enough interest to watch. I guess as the years go by my homer ism to the Rockets grew and i can't just watch anything other than my own team. (Although I'm also getting tired of today's Rockets).

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Cuz you love basketball and no sports are on.

RKREBORN and Patience like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Drexler took his Blazers to Finals before MJ took Bulls to the Finals.

Same with Dream. He took Rockets to Finals in 80's beating Showtime Lakers.

Patience likes this.