1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple Reportedly Seeking to Move Significantly More Production From China to India

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, May 15, 2020.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My interest was in why it is a good idea for Apple to open manufacturing plants in India. It is a huge market. They have a very large English speaking educated class that would welcome the chance to work in India for Apple, instead of outside of the country. I didn't intend to unleash a torrent of vitriol from you attacking India. Have at it. I disagree.

I disagree with much of what @rocketsjudoka, who I respect, said as well. I did visit India. I said I did. It wasn't a claim. Like the United States, India currently has a nationalist, distasteful government. So does the United States. So does China. The difference is that both India and the United States are democracies, they have elections. Unlike China, who has a ruler at least as much a nationalist as either Modi or trump, the two countries can and do change governments with those elections.

I know all about the caste system. It was far worse when I was there than it is today. I'm very aware of the numerous languages of India, as well as the countless dialects. It's why the educated in India overwhelmingly speak English. The border between China and India? I'm sure you think everything that happens along it is India's fault. What I find amusing is that you base China's claim on a treaty signed by the then Chinese government with the ruling European colonial power in India at the time. It shouldn't surprise you that India sees that border far differently than China does. The Tibetan people might enjoy a say about the border, but they are busy seeing their civilization crushed by China. The border is the least of their worries. If there is a border they are concerned with, it is their border with China.

China has done well with their economy compared to India over the last several decades. They've done well thanks in large part to the United States providing them a huge market for their goods. They've also done well with tens of billions of dollars worth of cutting edge technology stolen from this country, just as it's also been stolen from the Europeans and the Japanese. They deny everything, of course. They always do. "They" being the Chinese government.

Now Xi's regime is busy attempting to steal the exclusive economic zones of the countries surrounding the South China Sea based on the absurd "nine dash line." Exclusive economic zones recognized under international law that do not belong to China. It is theft of the highest order, backed by a Chinese military that dwarfs the victims. Several artificial "islands" have been created that are not recognized under international law as islands. Xi said that they wouldn't be militarized. That they were there for "peaceful purposes." Lies. The islands are bristling with missiles, huge air bases for the Chinese air force, naval bases for the Chinese navy, all in an attempt to enforce their illegal effort to steal resources that belong to other nations. That is your "peaceful China" under Xi. It is why the United States is working to get closer relations with India, and vice versa. The two countries, both democracies, are being pushed closer together by China, which I find very ironic.

I'm not even going to attempt to argue your take on what you call India's "educated elites." Yes, many work in the United States, as they do in other countries. They come to the United States to get educated, as do thousands of Chinese students, and many stay to work. Far from all. So what? Do you seriously believe that somehow that has been a terrible blow to India? So it would seem. I disagree. Like the Chinese who come here in their thousands to our universities, many Indians return to India to make good use of what they've learned. I know some personally who have stayed here and prospered. Good for them, and again, so what?

If you think I am going to have a "back and forth" with you about China, India, and the United States, you are going to be disappointed. My interest is the possibility of Apple investing in India, which, again, I see as a good thing for India, Apple, and the United States. I hope it occurs. We'll have to wait and see.

R0ckets03 and Senator like this.
  2. Senator

Senator Member

both adoo and rocketsjotoba are chinese propaganda nationalists masquerading as humans. they don't have a clear idea of what the world needs or wants but want to make sure chinese get a bigger pie. be polite but do not take them seriously or think they can understand human reasoning ability.

dachuda86 likes this.
  3. Senator

Senator Member

pro-trade is very important - but standards and regulations are far more important. china, north korea and terrorist organizations are not part of the free trade world and never have been. people whine so much about slavery in the US but slave labor is the standard in china and hundreds of millions contribute to the largest slave nation in the world. yes, it has been a very prosperous time for their 1% and taken people out of destitute poverty, but it's created a worse situation by killing community, sunlight and spreading propaganda about slave labor being the norm.

all economic principles follow the theory if you're dead - you can't spend money. one thing the trump admin and credit to munchin, have nailed, is the need to push these manufacturing positions to the US for the more high end stuff and start diversifying to India and other open, secular nations in the world. it would be great if mexico had a little bigger piece of the legit pie so cartel appeal would be a little more crushed. more opp in the US means les drug use and demand from the rust belt and other regions that have struggled. this isn't the first disease from china and won't be the last, but by isolating them where they rightfully belong we are giving our children a chance at a future worth living for.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you that the PRC has stolen technology and is engaged in an aggressive expansionist program that said I think you still have to consider that the Modi government isn't a good actor either. India is a democracy and it could change but in recent elections the BJP has just strengthened it's hold on India. For that matter the previous Congress Party domination was riddled with corruption.

The geo political strategy of using India as a counterbalance to the PRC is one that has been pursued but so far with limited success. Keep in mind to that India's interest aren't necessarily the US's and while they have a lot of tensions with the PRC they also have some common interests and have been cooperating with the PRC through the BRIC arrangement.

From the business side my main point is that the PRC infrastructure is far ahead of India's. That is a big disparity if you're looking regarding manufacturing especially high tech. Ultimately I think business interests will decide which country does better rather than geo-politics.

Now excuse me while I spread some more Chinese Communist propaganda.

Deckard likes this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Whine so much about slavery?

You comparing China to American slavery?

@justtxyank @Clutch

Why is this guy never suspended? Do you think he just gives opinions and is never offensive?

Is slavery up for debate?

#85 pgabriel, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bro,

It's already happening that foreign high tech investment in India is on the up. The Apple moving production is not a hypothetical situation.
    I mean every time I call Customer Service I either talk to some dude named Fred who's clearly from India or another dude named Fred who's clearly Filipino.

Of course India has problems, but that's not why companies are moving there.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Exactly I can't believe no one has mentioned the tech call centers which they have dominated for over 15 years

I was a temp at Chevron, their internal call center is in India I think.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

adoo , yes

@rocketsjudoka is a pure Rockets fan

You should be careful in talking down to pure Rockets fan, that means more than any political affiliation.
    It is known that the owner of the site dislikes fake Rockets fans

If you come to Clutchfans for impure reasons, then you should be aware that is the path to doom.

Roomba likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

True they are and I think it is a smart business move to diversify. Manufacturing in the PRC isn't as cheap as it once was and even PRC businesses are outsourcing to other countries. I don't think India will overtake the PRC anytime soon though and I'm don't think that geopolitical reasons or the desire to punish the PRC for COVID-19 are going to be the drivers to move manufacturing from their.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Obviously many companies came to China for the labor force and cost, but now their government has given them reason to start looking elsewhere.

This Daryl Morey is more than just the NBA.

Because we are on a hardcore (well not as hardcore as back in the day) fan site, we know who Daryl Morey is.
    No government should care what the hell he thinks. He's not even known by the casual NBA fan.

But what their jackass government did sent ripple effects through corporate America.

What if CEOs or VPs or regular employees of foreign companies support Taiwan or Hong Kong or anything else their government doesn't like?

Wanting to force a company to fire a foreign employee for having an opinion is the ultimate red flag.

Yes, this is all about Morey. Tim Cook isn't going to fire some dude at the Genius Bar if he's wearing a Hong Kong shirt on his Instagram.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I am actually part of of a deep cover operative family who was sent decades ago to infiltrate Houston. My father's assignment was to steal rocketry technology. When he got here he took us to the Summit instead of NASA because someone told him that was where the rockets were. I was so impressed though seeing the red team led by a fellow member of the Third World defeat the running dog capitalist Lakers that I became a Rockets fan.

dmoneybangbang, Deckard and Roomba like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

If posters here don't know what the Summit is, they should be immediately deleted and banned for life.

Deckard and rocketsjudoka like this.
  13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Dude are you seriously accusing @rocketsjudoka of being a Chinese propagandist? If you read any of his replies in the threads that you created on China, you'd see that he's never once said a damn thing about liking or agreeing with the Chinese government. In fact, if I recall correctly from another one of his posts on one of your threads, he has family in Hong Kong--so I'm sure you can put two and two together. If someone has a different opinion does that automatically make them a CHINESE SPYYYY? Does that make me a "Chinese propaganda nationalist" too?

Jesus, dude. Now enjoy some Chinese propaganda.

tinman likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Don't worry 同志! We will bring him over to our side soon enough!

Deckard and Roomba like this.