1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you wearing a mask when going out?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, May 13, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

Yep. N95s, just sterilized again (every 2 days)

edwardc and Nook like this.
  2. TheresTheDagger

17 people out of 1 million residents statewide. Meanwhile, there have been 34 traffic fatalities in Montana this year. I guess that's twice as bad right?

One person can kill dozens in a car accident. That's all it takes. One person.

Montana has thousands of drivers. Traffic is out there.

How nice of you to assume I'm not!

#1. I don't leave the house much. Less than twice a week on average.
    #2. I follow the state mandates and where required the rules of places (like Costco) where masks are required.
    #3. The above means I've gone MAYBE 5 places since this all began without a mask.

Good day to you.

London'sBurning and cml750 like this.
  3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I wear mask/bandana and keep hand sanitizer in my pocket at all times when shopping. Opt for online orders with curbside delivery when able. Only time I don't is when outside working on yard. Been eating a lot of Chick-Fil-A when lazy and for the most part the employees there wear their masks appropriately with gloves. They give you your food at drive thru with a serving trey to minimize as much human contact as possible. Of the drive-thru places, they're the ones I find that have employees that wear masks appropriately and seem to give their employees PPE. I guess I feel safest eating food from them over other places like Pluckers.

Contrast that with the Lowes and Home Depot nearby. Employees will wear a wask but not cover their nostrils, or will inadvertently lean in closer to 6 ft distance because a customer is speaking softly at check out. Or I'll see people touch their face after having their hands on a shopping cart. So even some people that are wearing masks aren't wearing them properly and still forget to implement other safe social distancing guidelines.

There's a local Walgreens I go to for one or two item pick ups like restocking on booze or grabbing a couple of dozen eggs. Employee there told me they usually re-stock their inventory on Friday mornings. Check-out wait is usually only one or two people at any given time, so it's not a high traffic location.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Amazing that this thread is up....

I am at a Ford dealership getting service on my vehicle and I AM THE ONLY ONE WEARING A MASK!!!!

There is a fireman/emt without a mask on... Man I am just amazed how people think this thing is over and done with..

I am also about the same... I wear my mask in stores and out with public.. I don't wear my mask while on the golf course, but I do when I go into the club house... But I don't play with random people....

T_Man

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Going somewhere indoors, such as a store, office, or hospital - yes

Walking or playing outdoors with kiddos - no

edwardc and RayRay10 like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And are traffic accidents contagious? Can they be spread asympotmatically?

CometsWin and RayRay10 like this.
  7. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

....yup. I wear a mask whenever I'm in any public or common area.
    ...just my dumb luck that I haven't been shot at for being suspicious-looking yet...;)

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm glad you recognize that.

As a martial artist I hear this all the time that I'm young and / or in great shape so I don't need to wear one. First this can affect young in shape people. I have a friend in her 30's who is a runner and she's had it. She thought she recovered but just this week she's been feeling sick again. One of my former Judo students in her late 20's got it and required hospitalization. Even if you can't catch it there still is the danger of asymptomatic transmission. I personally have been improving my health over this period but I still worry about family members including an aunt who is in an assisted living facility that I bring groceries too. I have friends who are as close as family who are in the highest risk group.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is a key point. It isn't just about us as individuals. I hear a lot especially from martial artist who say I can handle it and if I want to take the risk I should be allowed to do it. It's not just about us though. None of us live in complete isolation. We still have to deal with people, if it's family, or just to get food.

I really miss doing Judo (I haven't choked someone in two months) and honestly if this was just my risk I would probably go ahead and do it. In Judo though we have a principle called Jita Kyoie which roughly means "mutual benefit and welfare". What that means is what we do for others we benefit ourselves, similar to the Golden Rule but understanding that there is a community. Wanting to go out and spar and not worry about whether I get sick or become an asymptomatic carrier might make me a fighter but it doesn't make me a Judoka.

10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Yeah that’s the thing, I worry about my parents whom I could potentially spread the virus to. I certainly wouldn’t want to catch it regardless. I’m a prime example of someone who recognizes its a serious thing but still hasn’t worn my mask for whatever reason. Everyone should wear one through their own initiative, but it really spells out why mandatory orders are important. Sometimes you have to push people to do right.

#50 Jayzers_100, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    rocketsjudoka and RayRay10 like this.
  11. edwardc

edwardc Member

Yes i do wear a mask daily just not while playing with the kids outside.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The thing about mask is that while it is not a 100% prevention tool, the cost of wearing them is minimal unless you absolutely cannot afford them. Not like we are spending an hour putting in a hazmat suit every time we go to the store. So, why not spend the extra, say, 50 cents for a surgical mask and 20 seconds to put it on if there is a recent chance that the store I go to has a chance of being crowded and I or someone else might be a asymptomatic carrier.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How important is it to clean or change out the mask that I use? I only go to a store maybe once a week or two weeks, and otherwise I'm at home. I have a cloth mask, and a basic medical mask to put underneath it, that I keep in my glove box, and I've just been reusing that when I enter any stores. Should I be doing something extra? I figured that if anything infectious did get on the mask (from me or from someone else) that they wouldn't survive between my uses of the mask, but maybe that's not the case.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I wore simple non-n95 mask around people before CDC recommendation, so yes. But not when running outdoor.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. TheresTheDagger

Exactly what more do you expect from me? I've already stated in the SAME POST you quoted I follow all mandates and wear masks where required. I also practice social distancing probably as well as ANYONE on this thread.

So **** off.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Then what was the point of bringing up the comparison with traffic accidents?

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. TheresTheDagger

That in Montana, the COVID-19 outbreak hasn't taken place like it has elsewhere which by definition means its not as serious here. Treating this pandemic the exact same here as NY or Italy (total lockdown) doesn't make sense given that.

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

outside of work, no

I would hold my breath and keep distance near elderly bc I'm too nice and considerate

19. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I do when I am not in the car. I don't in the office unless someone comes in. It did irk the **** out of me when I went in CVS a couple weeks ago and I look to my left and some woman is at the cashier unmasked.

RayRay10 likes this.