1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Personal experience with Covid-19

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, May 9, 2020.

?

Do you have personal experience with Covid-19

1. I have/had Covid-19

36 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. I have an immediate family member who has/had Covid-19

33 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. I have close friends diagnosed with Covid-19

39 vote(s)
    24.5%
  4. I know someone who was diagnosed with Covid-19

69 vote(s)
    43.4%
  5. I don't personally know anyone with Covid-19

49 vote(s)
    30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

basso likes this.
  2. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

My friend from Tempe, Arizona got the rona.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just bumped the thread, @rocketsjudoka, but what you did was more direct. ;-)

basso likes this.
  4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. shorerider

shorerider Member

To be clear most fatal or critical cases of COVID don't come directly from the virus - it's the body's immune response overreaction to it. I believe in a large number of cases, perhaps most, by the time you need to be hospitalized you may not even be testing positive for infection.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I have had a 50 year old relative die from it.

My best friend had it and he took about 3 weeks to recover. Said it was the worst illness he has had but at no point thought he would die from it.

My wife has a very good friend that has it currently, has been almost a month but finally getting better. Had to go to ER a few times but is starting to feel better. Her doctor has told her she has kidney and lung damage that will be long standing.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is the thing I think that is getting underreported. That people can get it and run it's course but that there can be some long standing damage.

8. Nook

Nook Member

It is a complicated issue and everyone wants to make it simple. It is true that most of the roughly 100,000 dead in the USA have been old or have a compromised immune system and that needs to be acknowledged. However at the same time most of those that have died in past epidemics have been compromised. If you look at something like AIDS, the death is from complications from the disease, usually another illness that the body can no longer fight off. Yet we still define the cause of death as the disease.

Still as someone that is not old yet and has a decent immune system, I am concerned about long term effects from COVID19 and that isn’t something discussed by either side. I personally have no interest in running out to a restaurant or sporting even right away because of the possible long term effects to exposure.

Kidney and lung damage are not something to take lightly. Now there are different degrees but for someone that has hopefully a solid 40 years left, I don’t want to get a head start or organ issues.

Also I am very cautiously concerned about children that get it, what the long term consequences.

We aren’t and cannot just shut down the world for two years for a disease that is far worse than influenza but not as deadly as SARS; but I really wish we had some sort of basically societal agreement to wear masks, use common sense and listen to the experts on health related concerns.

Some on one side say the world must stop and some on the other side are claiming it is a cold and they will not get a vaccine when one is available. We will fail if we do not have some common ground:

Deuce, B-Bob and arkoe like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need to keep on remembering this is a novel virus which means we have no idea what the long term affects of it.

Nook and FrontRunner like this.
  10. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

from what i heard, one can't really recovered from covid 100%.... a study even suggest even after you "recovered", the virus will take at least 10 years of your lifespan

11. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

I tested positive back in March. I took another test and it was negative. I didn't have any noticeable symptoms. I last worked on March 20th.
    I turned in retirement papers. I got to down load more papers and turn them in. What am I going to do with my time? I don't know yet. Lately if I shower and get out of the front door by noon that is considered an accomplishment.

Jontro and FrontRunner like this.
  12. basso

Supporting Member

where are you going? other than to walk the dog, i don't think i've been out of our yard for more than a month.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One coworker lost her husband. He was about 50. Another coworker lost her grandfather.
    Several close friends had, fortunately only mild.
    One friend's nanny has it, and it's apparently bad.

I know of 10 friends who have had. And my wife was a COVID rule out.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think you are referring to the study and articles I posted below but I don't think that is what it is saying as far as 10 years off your life even after you've recovered. Otherwise, you will have to post the study you are talking about. I know I saw a headline that implied that it sheds a decade off your life if you had it and was misleading. If you examine the articles talking about this "10 years off your lifespan" stuff, then they are saying for those that had it and died...it shed 10 years off each person's life had they not gotten it and even after taking into account their underlying chronic conditions or dying naturally. Also, the study appears to be anything but conclusive and has not been peer reviewed.

But, feel free to counter what I'm saying if I'm incorrect. And, how would they even know if the virus could take 10 years off your lifespan even if you've "recovered" as there would be zero proof of that obviously? That proof would have to come much later years from now and would be entirely hypothetical crap for now imo.

Study: https://wellcomeopenresearch.org/articles/5-75/v1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...ife-lost-show-fuller-impact-study/ar-BB13V04T

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11467...ears-off-peoples-lives-before-died-naturally/

15. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

I go to the grocery store, also to the drive thru restaurants. Other than that & walking the dog nowhere really.

basso likes this.
  16. TheresTheDagger

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Had it weeks ago, tested positive too. It must have been very mild as it didn't shut me down like the flu. Im on week 5 though of still feeling tired, achy and still occasional headaches at night. Still having lucid dreams too but did get tested again and came back negative. Am back at work too.

mikol13, Deuce, basso and 1 other person like this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I keep reading about people who had the virus and "recovered," and like you, tested negative, yet are feeling the impact of the damn thing weeks after the episode. Also, apparently there are those who have had Covid-19 "come back" after having had it, testing positive, then recovering (more or less) and testing negative. Had it, tested negative, and then either had it return, or caught it again. That's rare, but really weird. Not trying to freak you out or anything. ;-)

There's so much we still don't understand about this nightmare of a virus. The year 2020 will forever be associated with it, at least in our country. Fingers crossed that 2021 will be the year associated with finding a way to knock it down.

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Not sure if I want to keep on living with worrying about getting it..............or just getting it, going on a vent, and never waking back up.

20. basso

Supporting Member

whelp, i need to change my vote: just received a positive antibody test. most likely had it in early May, when the rest of the fam was sick.

i now have a case of conjuctivitis, and the doc says it's probably covid related.