1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drinking in the Time of TheRona

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by thegary, May 14, 2020.

1. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

This has probably been covered so sorry but...
    How much earlier In the day are you guys getting your drink on?

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not much earlier than before. But I've worked from home for nearly a decade.

I have, though, started a new hobby with finding hard-to-find bourbon. I wasn't really a bourbon drinker until I accidentally was given a Blanton's back in December. Fell in love immediately.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Spending a lot more time sitting in the pool and day-drinking, that's for sure. Trying not to do it every day - only Fridays thru Sundays, although it's tempting. There have definitely been a few Thursdays mixed in....

We have a staff meeting every Friday at 3 and I've usually had several drinks by then. So I'm sure to leave my camera off for those calls.

basso likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not drinking at all. No biggy.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not aimed specifically at you OP, but am always disappointed at how alcohol is treated as such a casual drug.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I drink red wine quite often...usually a glass at night 4-5 times a week...it relaxes me

I cut out pretty much all other forms of alcohol long ago and will only drink them if I’m at some sort of event, celebration, party, etc, but I keep them on hand in case of guests

all I drink is water, green tea, orange juice, and red wine...almond milk only with cereal or in a smoothie...basic, I know, but I’ve felt great for a long time now, and I’m trying to age like Vince Carter

#6 Reeko, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    basso, Xerobull and vlaurelio like this.
  7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Where do I find friends who give accidental gifts like that?!

I was trying to find Blantons to give to a friend a few years back and could not find it anywhere. The lone liquor store that had it was charging "how much do you wanna bid? for it -- so I passed. Had to call in a lot of favors in order to secure one and still probably paid too much for it.

8. leroy

It was at a bar on Washington. My buddy ordered one and I ordered a beer...but the bartender brought 2 Blanton's. I was immediately in love.

I'm starting to get on waiting lists but they can take forever. Same buddy just got one from the Spec's in Willis. He was on that list for 8 months. Been on the list at the Spec's on Rayford/I-45 for nearly 2 years.

9. HTM

HTM Member

I’m essentially a teetotaler but I’ve noticed my roommate seems to be drinking even more during the pandemic. He use to mostly go out and do it but now he’s just in his room doing it Th/F/S nights with his friends on zoom.

It’s disappointing, I was hoping my roommate would use the change of pace as a catalyst to improve himself (workout/ eat right/ not drink) but that’s his journey.

10. LongTimeFan

Relationships seem to be the key to acquiring them. You might try a few smaller mom and pop stores; will likely have less of a demand of customers who want it and they might be able to snag a few bottles from their distributors. Flip side is you might pay a little more but hey-

donkeypunch likes this.
  11. leroy

Definitely going to pay more. Should be ~$60/bottle. Mom and pop's will be closer to $100.

LongTimeFan likes this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

As a social drinker and someone who used to be more active, I drink quite a bit less now. Unfortunately.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

used to pop a top around 6:30 - 7 (Pm, just to clarify) after I would go on my run. Now it's more like 4:30 since i'm able to run earlier in the day.

basso likes this.
  14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

My brother in law was able to get me a bottle on a few special occasions going to a smaller shop where he knew the owner but they unfortunately closed. Also got two from Spec's in the Galleria, once while on the waiting list and another just being in luck and asking. That was a while back though.
    Recently tried Rowan's Creek and Heaven's Door (TN), the latter was good but hard to get anything close to Blanton's.

Found myself drinking a bit more during the quarantine, mainly red wine and a bourbon here and there. Nothing crazy but enough to make a decision to cut it out during the weeknights starting this past Monday.

LongTimeFan likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Can someone tell me why the hell I can't have spirits delivered to my door from wine.com?

Total Wine can deliver but wine.com could not. This is a tremendous injustice - wine.com regularly has great coupons.

basso likes this.
  16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Pre-corona I was basically an occasional (maybe 2-3x per month) binge drinker. I don’t normally just have a few. It’s either heavy with clients or friends or none at all

Post-Corona: Mid-March through Mid-April I was having at least 3 beers a night and maybe 2x per week I was having 8+

Mid-April until now it is more like 2-3 a couple of nights a week. Maybe a decent run in the pool on a Saturday.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Pre corona maybe 2-3 drinks a week.
    During corona I got up to about 10-12 for a few weeks, but now maybe 4-5 a week.

Whiskey is gods gift to mankind.

basso likes this.
  18. LongTimeFan

Live in Texas? I don't know why they wouldn't be able to; looks like they can on their website. They seem to have good coupons on their ads but I'm not sure I've seen any "great" deals on their site. I'm always having to calculate tax and shipping to see if it's really cheaper than just going to Total Wine.

19. leroy

Closest I've had to Blanton's is called Blade and Bow. It's pretty solid and only ~$45. I ask in every store I go into...and usually get laughed at.

20. Buck Turgidson

Michter's, Booker's, Angel's Envy, Garrison Bros, Basil Hayden's are all perfectly cromulent alternatives.

basso likes this.