1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Expect the NBA back playing by mid/late June with 10 reg season games before POs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2020.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Should the two top pro basketball commissioners, Adam Silver and Clyde Drexler, work together to bring the sport back in some way? NBA 3-on-3 tournaments. Cuts down on players and facilities needed. If players get infected, you'll have a large pool of replacement players to fill the empty spots.

BigShasta, daywalker02 and SamFisher like this.
  2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Mostly, we're arguing about a false choice. It's not an either/or. The way to deal with this is physical distancing that gets the curve near zero, then test, trace, isolate on large scales. We've half-assed our way through a couple of months with nothing much to show for it and we're in the process of making it worse, even though the majority of Americans are trying to do the right thing and are concerned about opening up too fast. At some point, we'll have to buckle down and go through an even tougher phase before we get the number of new cases to a point where test, trace, and isolate can make a difference. It'd be best if we did it this summer before the traditional flu season arrives. It sucks, but we really don't want to get to a cordon sanitaire situation anywhere in this country. The longer we delay doing the work that drops the curve to a manageable level, the longer we'll be without team sports and the more likely future restrictions will be more intense.

Deckard and topfive like this.
  3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Fortunately, the commissioners of sports (who have been working with leading health authorities) don't seem to agree with this, as evidenced by MLB's proposal that is literally going out today.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...nue-sharing-plan-amid-coronavirus/3107614001/

Or in the United Kingdom, which is even worse off with regards to both testing and deaths (per capita) than the United States.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...start-boost-as-uk-government-sets-june-1-date

YOLO likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

MLB getting closer and closer

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Fortunately, the people who have a vested interest in making bad choices, in concert with government authorities that are also making horrible choices in the two of the very worst-hit pandemic countries with among the world's worst responses, and no articulated national containment strategies seem to disagree!

Is that really fortunate?

HP3, BMoney and rimrocker like this.
  6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

With the NBA in particular, the players are going to be in a mostly controlled environment and unlikely to spread any case to more vulnerable members of the outside world. I actually see a lot of upside, in that live sports will probably make more people willing to stay home in the months ahead. The NBA not losing massive amounts of money also benefits the thousands of support staff employed by the league, who might otherwise lose their jobs. So yes, I think it's fortunate. As far as the others, I haven't seen the particulars of the PL/MLB plans yet, as far as containment/quarantine and such.

Anyway, we're obviously not going to agree on whether it's a good idea, and that's fine. We've gone around in circles on this quite a few times. I was just pointing out that in terms of what actually happens, I'm confident that quoted statement will not end up being correct.

RocketRed84, jboslett and YOLO like this.
  7. TilmanFinancialWindfall

WE'RE ready to open up!

The PTOUSA today said, "We have met the enemy and we have prevailed. We have won the war. There is more testing than anywhere in the world, more than even needed. We have saved more live from this virus than any other countries. We're #1 in the world. Anyone can be tested today. We have won."

Time to open up, Silverman!

8. jayland

jayland Member

Alex Jones must of told Trump he invented a cure for corona. Now on sale for only $29.99.

[​IMG]

Deckard, jboslett and SamFisher like this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

The Rockets will win in an asterisk year, lol. Count on it.

10. TilmanFinancialWindfall

"We have beaten this Virus. America has won! We have tested everyone that wants to be tested!"

[​IMG]

11. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

If playoffs do happen, I like our chances!

BigShasta likes this.
  12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

rushed. just start next season.

i mean what have players been doing the last two months?

Francis3422 likes this.
  13. rockets13champs

It’s corny bc it’s a kids movie. When I was a kid. It was my favorite movie ever. I watched it several times a month

14. rockets13champs

Nba cannot be played outdoors lol

15. rockets13champs

I think mlb will announce their return before the nba. Nba is being overly cautious. But both will be back for sure

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pickup games are normally played outside.

Streetball. Anything goes.

The arenas were really there for the crowd and spectators, those aren't there in Corona age.

Would be only temporary.

#276 daywalker02, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  17. icewill36

icewill36 Member

NFL seems to be full steam ahead. If they are going ahead as normal I don’t see why other sports wouldn’t start up again.

18. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Yeah it seems the two leagues need to cooperate for the survival of the sport.

Rosenthal and Dudley are last persons to give medical advice.

They have the pre-existing condition of uncontrolled stupidity.
    Competition goes out the window. Is there really a level playing field for New York, Brooklyn, Chicago?

#278 smoothie_king, May 12, 2020
  19. RocketRed84

RocketRed84 Member

bro, i use that "how u" reference from the 2011 lockout all the time!

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Do you want to try and play again this season?
    [_] YES
    [_] NO

#280 J.R., May 12, 2020
    GradyMcTracy likes this.