1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

calvin murphy says he doesnt particularly like the nba game today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim petersen84, May 3, 2020.

1. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Rockets can't afford Calvin.

Calvin Murphy should take water boy role and responsibilities.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

If we are gonna move to JVG , we need to kick it goon squad on the assistant staff.

Calvin can be offensive coordinator , JVG defense and HC , vernon maxwell head conditioning coach, and Bullard can be our shooting coach.

Tilman can hire Yao to repair our relationship with China and eventually buy the team . Until tilman pulls the gangsta exit and sells it to an investment group of put together by harden and dream .

Player owners are gonna become a thing lol. Jordan was the 1st , kobe might've been the second , lebron prolly will . James and a few other guys certainly might have enough money in 20 years if they manage their funds correctly.

anyone else im forgetting @tinman ? ( in terms of our coaching staff )

3. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Calvin murphy had to appreciate the overtime victory against the Boston Celtics for sure.

Only a fool would not have liked that win in Boston td garden.

Calvin murphy does not have anything to prove by being an assistant coach with the rockets.

Calvin Murphy does not gain anything by accepting such a role.

#83 smoothie_king, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Calvin is right. This stats ball is hard to watch. The common 0-27 missed 3s games and the half ass effort they put in on a daily basis is unacceptable

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

At some point it will swing the other way.

Problem is great post/low block bigs don’t really exist anymore.

Prime Olajuwon is winning a ring easy against these guys. His field goal percentage against these bigs in the nba today would be better statistically than shooting a lot of threes. His field goal percentage would sky rocket. Surround him with shooters just like in the 90’s and it’s a wrap.

He’d average 50 to me way or another. 50 points or 50 assist. You choose.

napalm06 likes this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I’d like to see how eliminating the corner 3 changes the game.

https://www.82games.com/locations.htm

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t reply to the troll dude

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

meh, roughly 50% of the board are trolls now. Cheke64, fchowd, and smoothieking are so bad that it’s hard to tell them apart from basic machine learning algorithms.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. SemisolidSnake

If on any given night, threeball and all its associated factors is working well for the Rockets, I think you'll find few complainers here. Balls going in hoops is exciting, and scores higher than the other team are satisfying.

I think what almost everyone here probably wants and has always wanted is an offensive approach that has robustness, versatility, depth, backup plans, whatever you want to call it. Ways to win when threeball is NOT working on any given night. If spacing is working, and the threes are falling, and that's working out well, sure, keep going. In most situations in life, it's smart to lead with what works for you, and if it works again, then that's great. Time saved, efficiency high.

But what's the next layer when the first approach fails? The Rockets don't have that. In previous years, it was "give the ball to Harden," and this year it became "give the ball to Westbrook." It might work, and it might produce some amazing wins if those guys are on, but I think even the most dedicated fan realizes that that's not a plan; it's a prayer. What happens when that shaky scaffolding falls? Do you have other ways of getting the ball in the basket? What about when the refs are clearly pushing their agenda? Do you have ways to neutralize that?

The Rockets are, of course, the extreme example of the new ball. And so extreme that they entirely rely on it even unto death. New ball would be fun if it also had old ball, hybrid ball, and whatever works also in the playbook to always push the issue on trying to win against each individual team on each individual night. Ultimately, that's all the matters: individual wins in the right situations. Stats and wins averaged over entire seasons don't mean anything if the other team knows how to shut you down in the precious few playoff games you have against them. Do what works. When it doesn't work, try something else. Repeat. Nobody finds that style of basketball boring, because there's nothing boring about trying your best to win.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Winning is exciting. But I guess winning with a one-dimensional offense and winning with a variety of weapons do make a difference in entertainment value.

Imagine if we had a superhuman god-mode player who could just go down the court and hit every 3pt shot he threw up. We'd be happy we won every game. But it'd be extremely boring basketball.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I seem to remember Shaq catching the ball and offensive fouling his way to the basket for 4-6 seconds not being exciting to watch.

There has to be a balance.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

does any sport's retired population talk more **** about their sport and sound more bitter than nba players? all they do is constantly whine about toughness and style and whatever. you never see this on nfl shows. i don't watch baseball, and i'm sure there's some b****ing about the focus on homeruns, but i bet they don't whine that the umps used to call more strikes or the curveballs were curvier and such. while i suppose the arguments that there are too many 3's hold some water (i would like slightly more balance), it's just a non-stop parade of whining about everything.

AND ESPECIALLY THE FOULS! we have videos of old games. y'all weren't playing defense at near the intensity level of modern games. no where close. literally, we have the video evidence. aside from flagrants that were few and far between, there was nothing. the 2016 finals were on the other day. it's so night and day from a playoff game in the 80's. not just the speed and power of the athletes, but the possession to possession bumping and holding and running and focus on detail. now if a late 90's guy or early 2000's guy wants to say more was allowed, ok. we have that video evidence, too, and it clearly seems to be the case. and it was clearly the case that it caused scoring to plummet. the supermen of the past didn't overcome more physical play, it took its toll as expected. the spurs and pistons held teams under 85 ppg in the 2004 season. 85! quite a few more teams held teams under 90. in fact, the lakers whole playoff run was against teams holding opponents under 90. so they rightly fixed it, although it may have swung too far the last season or two.

but it's not really the case. from 1979-80 to 1989-90, 97 teams shot 30 ft/gm. from 2009-10 to 2019-20, 2 teams shot 30 ft/gm. weirdly, our 2013-14 team was the leader.

it gets slightly better on a ft/fga measure, but not much. no team has cracked 0.300 ft/fga in the last 11 years. 10 did in the 79-89 era. teams over 0.281. 4 for this era, 32 in the other. i'm actually amazed watching some of the 80's game what the refs considered fouls back then. so much more stuff was called in the post and sometimes minor bumps on drives would get called. even watching rockets/suns game 7 in 1995, kevin johnson's 2 ft's at the very end were on a pretty weak bump where he didn't even lose the ball. he passed it to a teammate. and that was game 7 with the defending champs in a one point game with 20 seconds or so left. i forget which jazz game it is, i think game 5 in 1995, but it seems like there's a foul on every play.

13. jim petersen84

At this point the 3pt shot has become a detriment to the game. If the nba really cares about the game they will get rid of the shot and slowly bring it back once players learn how to play a complete game.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The 3pt shot is not the problem. The ease in making it is. If they could make the point-per-shot percentage roughly equal to that of the midrange shot, then you'd see a more balanced game. If you really want to change the rule, don't eliminate the shot. Make it harder. Move out the arc. Get rid of the corner 3 space.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Has any sport evolved away from physicality as quickly as the NBA has? Has any other sport lost all of the rivalries and turned into a bunch of super friends trying to team up and make winning easy? Has any other sport turned in to one or two guys obsessing about their image and the media playing into it instead of making it about the teams?

I think plenty of fans agree with these old guys. I'm only 30 and I yearn for the pre 2000 days when refs didn't control playoff games and guys really went after each other.

The analytical obsession with 3 pointers would be something like NFL teams having an epiphany that they should just kick from the 60 yard line on every play because of better points*odds, and every game started to be 45-42. Then some guys realize winning is hard, so they all go to Tampa Bay to create a super team with Brady and win the next 5 years while everyone else has a fire sale. Yes, thrilling!

16. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Calvin Murphy couldn't be dissatisfied with kawhi Leonard sitting out a season and bringing down the warriors.

It Calvin Murphy is disappointedly then he needs to talk with Steve a Smith or tell Steve a Smith people to get with his people.

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

the nfl certainly has. the difference from just 10 years ago is very clear. even the difference from just 5 years ago can be seen in what hits aren't allowed (your practically have a 1 foot window in which to tackle a qb without getting a penalty).

obviously it is still a very physical game by its nature, but so much has been taken out (for good reason). as for the nba, i suppose it depends what you are talking about. if someone was used to the 83-81 games from 2000, then yes the game is a decent amount less physical. but most of the complaining is from calvin's era or bird's/magic's/hakeem's/jordan's/barkley's era where you can just watch the game be way way less physical for almost all of their careers. there is no noticeable modern defensive intensity or physicality (save for the odd bad boys flagrant foul) until the 90's knicks made physical D a thing and it really took off in the mid-90's to mid-2000's. and while this era might be a little less physical than mid-2000's, watching any recent finals (especially the first 2 warriors/cavs finals) shows just how physical the game still is.

has basketball ever really had rivalries except lakers/celtics? sure, if the same 2 teams are good for a while, they tend to form a rivalry. but it's never endured like nfl rivalries which seem to go back decades.

as far as superteams, baseball has always kind of had that with the yankees haven't they? and just a general lack of salary cap allowing yankees/red sox/dodgers/cubs to spend whatever they want. but i guess that isn't a change, just more of the same. as far as the nba, the only difference seems to be the players creating the superteams instead of the gm's. the celtics and lakers have like half of all titles ever. the bulls won 6 titles in 8 years. the spurs and lakers won most of the 2000's titles. superteams have been around forever, just more because of gm incompetency than player friendship.

not really sure what this means, but the nba has been about individuals for a long time, or at least as far back as i can remember.

i agree. nba fans seem to have more nostalgia for an era that never existed and that they maybe didn't even watch than in other sports, which i guess gives the old players more freedom to complain.

so going back to my earlier comment. you actually grew up in the lowest scoring, most physical era. if that's what you were used to and liked, i can see the basis for complaints (i'm older but not way older so i mostly saw the same era). but these oldheads who act like every time they drove the lane in the 80's, bill laimbeer pulled out a 2x4 and sent you to the hospital (and you weren't even playing detroit!) need a reality check. and i have to say, while it didn't annoy me at the time, watching some of the old 83-81 games it is sometimes shocking how little offensive skill could exist on the court for even the best teams. the 2008 celtics beat the cavs in a 7 game series where the celtics were the team that averaged 84 ppg.

i mean, i don't know if it was analytics, but football certainly evolved from a heavy heavy run league to a heavy heavy passing league in a fairly short time. dan marino's unheard of 5000 yard season is now just routine. running backs practically don't even exist now. baseball, in a very short time, went to an all strikeouts/walks/homeruns league because of analytics. once the math gets put to something, it's hard to go back.

but i suppose it's all become like the 3 pointer. i understand and even largely like it, but i do wish i could see a few more 2's and a few more runs and a few more singles and stolen bases.

18. swakid8

swakid8 Member

‘Bulls/Knicks/Heat/Pacers/Magic were rivals in the 90s regardless who matched up. Their matchups were touted as games of the weeks and intense when they went after each on NBA on NBC.

Then you would have Sonics/Suns/Spurs/Jazz/Blazers/Lakers go at each other in the 90s as well. There some good rivalries being formed until the superteam popped off.

19. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

God speed for Calvin Murphy, rockets, worldwide.
    I applaud harden and rockets on beating wolves in a series in 2018 .Rockets beat a good wolves team that had wiggins, Jimmy Butler, Kat, and derrick rose. Capeala deserve credit for play making and rebounding, 11 rebounds in a game, 15 rebounds in a game, 16 rebounds, and even a 17 rebound game for capeala.

20. jim petersen84

go away u troll