1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keto-Diet advice.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, May 9, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I did Keto about 9 months a while back and I lost about 20 -25 pounds, which was good but I plateaued and could not lose the extra 10 - 15. I never went full Keto but watched my carbs and ate most of the recommended food. I also was working out at least 3 times a week.

I eventually stopped because I got tired of eating the same stuff and I had some health issues and needed to watch my fat intake.

My question is how many on here do Keto and what is the best source for recipes.

How many adhere strictly, meaning carb counts and fat intake counts and what is the best way to track these.

I am off for the summer and want to get back in shape and will focus on a diet and workout regime I need to lose about 30 pounds.

Anyway all advice is appreciated and would like other any other diets to try and workout programs.

Thanks.

Also does anybody use prepackaged meals?

I also want a bike because I hate to run or walk, what is a good price and where to shop for the cheapest?

Asian Sensation likes this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Currently restarted and so miserable man ***** so hard in the beginning

Asian Sensation and jiggyfly like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Went hardcore keto in April of last year. Dropped 50 lbs in 3 months. Have kept it off since then, but not really doing keto now. I am keto-ish in that I try to stick to its overall guidelines but allow myself to eat more normally so long as the weight stays where I want.

IMO if you're gonna do it then do it 100%. No more than 20g net carbs per day. Lots of green veggies, eggs, meat, and water. Snacks of cheese, almonds, pork rinds, Fage 5% yogurt (as a treat). Avoid sugar as much as humanly possible. Also, intermittent fasting. Eat only between noon-6pm, for example. Sucks for the first couple weeks but so does being overweight.

cookbooks I use(d):

Easy 5 Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
    Wholesum Yum Easy Keto Cookbook

Plus I just searched a lot online. Eventually learned how to convert our staples to be keto friendly - that was helpful.

#3 Haymitch, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Have you tried adding intermittent fasting?

I've never done keto, but it seems like a fine tool to lose weight, though I'm skeptical of it being a full-time long term diet.

I lost 20 pounds in a month about 5 years ago from a rice, bean, greens, and fruit diet with interment fasting.. and I really didn't have much weight to lose at the start, that took me to pure muscle and bone. So there are multiple ways to do it. The goal always is no matter the diet, eat fewer calories than your using, eat real food, drink only water. Exercise and intermittent fasting help me a lot as well.

#4 ThatBoyNick, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
  5. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I had been on a low-carb diet for years and was about to try going all-in with Keto for a couple months when the coronavirus hit. Now unfortunately my priority is stretching our meats and veggies. So lots and lots of carbs. Lots and lots. :(

If you can find a Kmart, we picked up a really nice Schwinn mountain bike a few years ago for practically nothing. There's always Craigslist too.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

50 in 3 months wow.

Can you give me example of your daily meals?

I think I can do it for about 3 months and then go keto-ish, thanks.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I used to be able to do that when I was younger but it's hard to the older I get.

I will try the intermittent fasting.

8. mario_v

mario_v Member

You don’t have to be on a keto diet to lose weight. You can eat whatever you want and still lose weight, as long as you’re in a caloric deficit.

The keto diet works, but in my opinion, it’s not a sustainable diet. The best diet is one you can stick to in the long run.

What worked for me, I basically ate whatever I wanted, didn’t cut out carbs from my diet. I kept track of my calories on my fitness pal app, used a small food scale to weigh my food and made sure I didn’t eat over 1800 calories a day.

I also walked 10,000 steps every day, which burned about 450 calories, which creates an even bigger calorie deficit.

I’ve not only lost 35 lbs, but more importantly been able keep it off. Now, I eat around 2000-2200 calories a day to maintain my weight.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Intermittent fast is easy, for me at least, I stop eating at 9-10 and start at 2-3 the next day for 8/16. I make a large black coffee in the morning and go for a run at 1. 90% of my diet is meat I grill and bread for a vessel. Steaks, burgers, sausage, grilled chicken, wings is about all I eat. I’ll though in some veg if my girl is over.

10. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Don’t drink alcohol

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm out.

Andre0087 and bigdaddy like this.
  12. Asian Sensation

I started for the first time 12 days ago. Finally got into Ketosis on day 4. I broke down and got a quart of Baskin Robbins on Friday oops. I was good today and I’ll try to be again tomorrow even though it’s Mother’s Day. ****’s definitely not easy. I’m looking forward to getting back into ketosis ASAP and hopefully last a month this time before I cheat.

I always heard about keto but was never really interested in trying it until I ran across this video. Everyone should hear him out. I think he’s 100% spot on.

This guy has a cool accent and a ton of delicious recipes that are easy to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/user/HeadbangersKitchen

This guy is super knowledgeable and good for motivation.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOfJHaFLpfbi87xPoAa_NbQ

Andre0087 and jiggyfly like this.
  13. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Keto crotch

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

fasting and full carnivore (only animal products) will help you push through any plateau and get you into ketosis quick

I generally eat one meal a day at lunch, sometimes I will also eat breakfast. It's mentally easier to sustain the latter part of the fast while you are sleeping.

Key to making fasting bearable is to keep your sodium levels up during the fast. Otherwise it is very difficult. Snake Juice recipe is popular for this (named because snakes eat a ton and then fast a ton).

15. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Keto most definitely works, but as many have said it not a long term solution. Just do keto full on to lose the weight and then slowly add back in limited carbs. Unfortunately, keto and beer don’t play well, that’s my biggest challenge...

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll echo the others. Keto works if you stick with it and you'll get a boost if you add in an IF component. Calorie counting and watching macros is pretty important in the beginning until you get comfortable with portion sizes.

For recipes check out this site. It's more low carb than keto focus but there are plenty of great options. https://www.marksdailyapple.com/recipes-home/

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I do keto from time to time. Gigantic salads and breakfast foods (eggs,bacon,sausage) are my goto meals. My wife can make a decent keto "bread" that is okay for sandwiches. Just put whatever you want on the salads and douse em in high fat olive oil based dressing. I stock up on a tub of mixed greens, romaine, tomatoes, olives, cucumber, parmesan and mushrooms. Make a garlicky vinaigrette in a jar--it keeps all week. It's good and nutritious and filling. And remember that too much protein keeps you out of ketosis same as carbs.

18. jacoby

jacoby Member

My advice would be to ditch keto and go vegan.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

NOPE!

ryan_98 and CCity Zero like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

IF?