1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Texans eat beyond meat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, May 6, 2020.

?

Will you

1. Nope

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Once in a while

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Will replace meat

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Senator

Senator Member

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/bey...-win-consumers-over-during-meat-shortage.html

• “We view this as a massive opportunity for us to drive trial and win consumers over into our segment,” Beyond Meat CEO Ethan Brown said of the meat supply shortage in America.
    • “When you look at beef, which is now at $4.10 a pound on the wholesale markets and you transfer that to retail, we have a fighting chance now as we offer value packs,” he said in a “Mad Money” interview.
    • “We’re going to look at the summer as a real opportunity for us to be relevant to the consumer as they’re looking for solutions as the meat supply has been disrupted,” he said.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think beyond beef tastes a lot better than ground beef, which sucks imo.

3. adoo

adoo Member

tastes too salty.

and it lacks texture, mushy like a MCD soy burger

#3 adoo, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I’d love to try it but don’t see it at my stores.

5. Senator

Senator Member

Not sure what your weekly budget for food is, but if you subscribe to a service like instacart you can have them delivered affordably once a week. Not that expensive when you consider time saved. I get them from sprouts, but HEB has them as well. When you find a sauce that works for you it's very good

https://www.sprouts.com/home-stories/trending/beyond-meat/

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Is beyond meat the one thats drenched in canola oil or is that the impossible meat stuff?

Edit: its definately beyond meat that has canola oil as its 3rd largest ingredient (after water and pew protein). Unhealthy and gross.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Where do you live?

Here in Houston it's in every whole foods and kroger.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

As a vegetarian I love it, but under normal circumstances, I don't see non-vegetarians opting in for it too often - outside of the novelty of trying it, or having it when with hanging out with vegetarian friends/family.

My prediction is that meat consumption in highly developed countries will go down over the decades at some point, but I'm doubtful that vegan meats will be a legitimate replacement, it will certainly grow, the number of vegetarians and vegans will grow, but I don't see those who eat meat making that jump in any significant number.

Lab-grown meat will be different.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I won't eat it for several reasons. First, it is not good for you and it's not natural. Despite attempts to disprove it by some, putting estrogen or similar chemicals that mimic it is not good. Hormones may be safe to an "acceptable" level of risk to some scientists, especially those in the pocket of the fake meat industry, but it's not healthy. Don't eat that crap. I used to eat a lot of soy products but it had a tremendous effect on my mood. I realized that it is increasing my estrogen levels and I stopped immediately. No more soy.

Second: meat is awesome.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

People still wear cotton, silk and wool; you're never going to match the taste without compromising on calories. I wouldn't have any problem using it for all meat options at school, even at public university campuses since there are usually already so many regular meat dining alternatives right off of campus.

dachuda86 likes this.
  12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This reminded me of this video lol

I'm not eating bugs and I'm not eating fake meat. I will eat plant proteins in a natural form but screw the soy and screw the petri dish hamburgers. I already eat less meat than the typical American and eat a lot of plant based proteins like lentils and beans. I am quite OK living this way. I've always been eating vegetarian options because it's healthy and it's a good way to mix up your diet anyway. The fake meat though? Just eat some damn vegetables. You don't need meat always and you don't need fake meat.