1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG might replace MDA as Rockets coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 5, 2020.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Is this correct?

In the nba history there are only two head coaches who have 3 prime MVPs in the team,
    Phil Jackson
    MDA

According to wiki, Suns 4 prime year with MDA are called near-lock for championships.

#41 BigBum, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
  2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Many seem locked on JVGs lackluster offense of the past... and I understand the concern...
    but I have to believe the man sees how the game has changed and can adapt. Plus I wouldnt look to him to be an offensive guru or anything...

Really, if you consider that JVGs offense was as bad as MDAs defense (separating out Bzdeliks contribution) then whats the prob with getting him an offensive asst - like Bzdelik was the d guy for MDA?

I think JVG can bring in the attitude that we have desperately needed for years - consistent effort on both ends of the court. I think he can garner the respect of our stars and not be steamrolled like MDA can be - imo... This wouldnt be a move for the X's and O's of it all but more about firm leadership.

and really our offense is primarily isos and 3s... a good offensive minded asst can prob add a few more wrinkles but really i'd say 75% is already preordained...

Deckard likes this.
  3. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

JVG would be a great coach for Harden.

Build the defense, while James is captaining the offense. And I think JVG could get Harden to diversify a bit more as well.

4. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Never should have left

sirjesse likes this.
  5. Possum

Possum Member

6. Entropy

Entropy Member

JVG is a good commentator, but an average coach. His coaching tenure was the Dark Ages of Rockets basketball. God help us.

7. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Jeff Van Gundy? Coaching a team with no center? ****ing HOW?

D-rock likes this.
  8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

This!

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Not sure why anyone would be concerned about our offense. I mean, its incredibly simple. And pretty predictable, which is why without stellar defense, its not likely to get us to the finals. Maybe not even then. But whoever comes in, regardless of their credentials, wont be able to change much on the offensive end given how locked in personal wise we are to the players we have and the general style we have to play because of it.

kjayp and Nick like this.
  10. BigBum

BigBum Member

I’d like to see a poll.

Do you think JVG will have a better playoffs success than MDA?

Will MDA lead the Rockets to defeat all Clippers, Lakers and GSW next 4 Years?

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sam Cassel!!!

Rocket River

fattz and Aruba77 like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

if mda is gone, jvg is my preferred choice. To me, the jvg houston would be getting wouldn't be the one that was previously here over a decade ago. Him being around the league in the media as well as team usa all these years gives me the impression that he has adjusted a lot to how the game has changed to this point. well respected and a good bball iq, there's far worse choices out there such as Ty Lue. that would be just a nightmare

joshuaao and kjayp like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

JVG wouldn’t be terrible but there are a lot of better options out there.

TF is going to hire whomever he wants anyway.

D-rock likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Scour all the alternate universes and you will not find any where JVG is a better coach than MDA.

Especially on a team that has sold its soul to play small ball.

Amick is a fruitloop.

15. BigBum

BigBum Member

Do not forget what Tilman said. MDA will be with Rockets for a long time.

D-rock likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Better than JVG or Thibs.

But still nowhere near as good as MDA.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would prefer Karl over JVG actually.

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

Well, we owe our first championship to him being a first round choker. Choked in the first round again in 95 to NVE/Divac and Celballos Lakers. Underachievers are welcome in Houston these days.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Provided the creditors committee agrees, yes.

kjayp and Nook like this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

While I agree that our issues are mostly on defense, I don't think it is as simple as you put it.

Basketball is not football where offense and defense are independent to each other. In basketball, how you play offense affects how you play defense, and vice versa. It affects what lineups you put on the floor. It affects spacing. It affects effort. That's why using a defensive assistant and/or offensive assistant would help but would not totally change the makeup and culture of the team. That is the head coach's job. He has to decide on the rotation. He has to set priorities. He has to integrate the two ends of the game.

D-rock likes this.