1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

calvin murphy says he doesnt particularly like the nba game today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim petersen84, May 3, 2020.

1. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Calvin Murphy's suits are the only thing that would translate in today's NBA.

BigShasta and Elephant810 like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You really don't have to be passive aggressive. You would do better in life if you handled differences of opinion better.

3. fchowd0311

Actually seeing as how teams adjust their defense especially in the playoffs I can see how NBa teams will have to adjust their offense to not be so predictable with the three point shooting. Think of it as why NFL teams still deploy the run game when their star qb will get you a high completions percentage and more yards per attempt. It's because you want defenses to guess. NBA defenses now defend the three point line and let teams like the Rockets just have free reign in the mid range area.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Ive been watching the 1986 Rockets on youtube. While 3's were still important back then, there were so many other areas that were also important. What ive come away with is that what I miss most is the physical play and a stronger emphasis on the inside game. Let the guys get physical!

3Rings, kjayp and DaDakota like this.
  5. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

He's not wrong. We absolutely live and die by the 3. We died a horrible death in Game 7 two years ago.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I agree with him on the 3's and the game being less entertaining.

But griping about defenders not being able to maul offensive players just reeks of "I'm an old man. Things sucked in my time so they should still suck now." That's not to say that every brush of the hand should be called a foul, but it's not like letting defenders get away with murder was more "fair" when he was playing.

I think sports leagues in general realized that they were allowing too much BS to go on. Not just basketball. The same thing happened in football and hockey. In the case of hockey, it's much more about skill than it used to be. I'd argue that the game is more "pure" when the game relies more on skill and you're not allowed to just beat the crap out of your opponents if you're lacking in skill.

About Curry? Eh. Calvin was a very good shooter, but he didn't really have range. Of course, he didn't need to for most of his career because there wasn't a 3 point line. But when it did come in at the end of his career, he only made 10 of the 72 3's he attempted. But even on strictly 2 point shots, Curry is better.

7. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

It's not so cut and dry as Jordan going to the line more times as the other team combined.

Elite teams play and win a certain way. Small ball and lights out three point shooting works with elite bench players like what warriors had ( Livingston inguodola, cook).

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If the game was so entertaining in Calvin's day why did they not even carry the NBA finals live on TV and instead showed reruns of "All in the Family" or whatever and push the games back to 1130 pm tape delay showings? Maybe they weren't so entertaining.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It sucks, very little ball movement, very little motion - so many 3s. Honestly, I liked it better without the 3pt line.

@SamFisher I think that has more to do with the lack of marketing back in the day - the NBA didn't explode because of the 3pt shot, but because it started marketing players over teams - and that took off.

DD

kjayp likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

Marketing and other factors. The game has improved in some aspects that make the game more watchable. As time moves forward, players have become more athletic with quicker handles and more extravagant finishing abilities.

Not to sound like an ass but Michael Jordan's game just looked far more fun to watch than Bob Cousy's game.

The biggest advantage players have today is sports science and access to it. If you show any signs of potential you are already seeing proffesional level coaches at middle school in AAU ball. Training is far more organized and available today. Hence why modern player handles are so refined and players from all sizes can be excellent shooters today. A d-league level guard today probably has more refined and quicker handles than superstar guards in the 80s and 90s.

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

Everyone just ignores, no point on feeding the trolls.

12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Not many d Leaguers keeping up Michael Finley, Jason kidd, Stockton, Kevin Johnson!

charlieaustin likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you don't like it, beat it. Until a post-oriented team starts winning games, I don't want to hear it. I wouldn't mind the old rules, but we don't have them anymore, so stop complaining.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  14. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Do Taller kids these days practice post ups?

I’ve seen pick up games lately where they all pull up from mid court to shoot threes or isolate like harden. The next generation will be the same.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Don't forget the lack of defense or rule change on hand checking was so that the tall players from Europe could be successful without being beat up or man handled by the larger players in the USA....

The game is a skill game after all, but I miss the Dream and his post moves....

DD

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I understand that shooting 3s are way more effective on offense, but stylistically I much prefer the post game. After watching Dream and Yao dominate inside for decades I'll always have a taste for it. The post game on their level is an art.

3Rings likes this.
  17. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The clipper / Lakers teams on West coast rival brooklyn, Philly, and Boston on the east coast.

It's more parity.

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

I wish it was a balance of the 90s, and today. Something so beautiful to the inside-out game, but we were all on the playground chucking 3's wanting to be like Reggie Miller and the 3pt contest was as big a draw as the dunk contest. So the 3 was always exciting, but now it's just too much and it's lost it's appeal and with it, gone is the post up, gone is the mid range, gone is the physicality, and gone is the crowded paint robbing us of nasty facials, and acrobatic layups or strong finishes through bodies or knocking fools down as a message. "Not in my house" doesn't exist anymore. "IN YOUR FACE" isn't a dunk or finish over someone, it's just a 3 with a defender near. Defenders that hound you are now called dirty and the offensive player whines at the contact. Not too many players risk flashy passes these days either. Of course there's still some of these things today, but not enough. Find the balance. I see more and more people, including myself say that basketball is boring now.

A lot of the charm has left the game.

19. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

That’s a solid suggestion. The Corner 3 is the biggest factor in today’s playing style.

20. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

It wasn’t so bad... went up against a team with 4 all nba level players without CP3, missed 25 straight 3s and still kept it close. Outside Harden, no other player could even put the ball on the floor. The rest of the roster mainly comprised of 3 and D guys and we were short there too (Luc was done, Ryno was unplayable)... basically taking a gazillion threes was our only chance.