1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

(TV) The Last Kingdom - Netflix

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, May 8, 2017.

1. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I love the show too. Glad there are others who are watching. GOT was such a colossal letdown that I think it made me appreciate TLK more. It's not changing my world but I'm glad to be watching Uhtred's adventures and fight for legitimacy and now family. I wish I could get my wife to watch it.

arkoe likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Season 4 definitely the worst so far. Lots of plot holes. Didn’t care for most character progressions.

Did like Uhtreds kids (had potential to be annoying but weren’t). Uhtreds “family” - his men - were the most enjoyable characters of the season. Granted they’ve always been good ... but it points to how meh the rest of the characters were.

don’t get me started on Brida, lol.

3. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I gotta say I'm feeling emotional reading this. Why? I'm trapped in my lovely house drinking my first lovely beer of the night. Midas Touch. Checking in with CF to see what's up and having a pretty meaningless convo about TLK but this makes everything feel so right.

When I get deeper into the season 4 I'm going to get you started on Brida. At some point this thread needs to objectify and rank the women of TLK.

And on the kids, I really like his daughter. Uhtred is one of my favorite individual characters in recent years and they seemed to have been able to make her a real "chip off the ol block" if you will.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. Apparently there were new writers for S4 so maybe that was part of it.

5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm about halfway through. Lots of whispered conversations like they won't be overhead happening where characters are plotting either in busy public spaces or sometimes even directly in front of who they're plotting against. It's very odd and really throws me off every time it happens. I don't remember this from previous seasons.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fricken LOVED season 4 - and it is only getting better, as SEASON 5 is confirmed.

For KING AND COUNTRY !!!

DD

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lovely arselings.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Movie to follow next year's final season

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

We are on the eve fellow clutchfans...

justtxyank likes this.
  11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

So it's the British pov of Vikings? I've never heard of it, somehow, but I'm interested to see the British side retold. RT has it at 91/96%, which is staggering for a Netflix series. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_last_kingdom

I have to root for the Vikings, though. @Nook

Nook likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

We were a terrible people....

Xerobull likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The main character is a Brit raised by Vikings who navigates the Isle during the Viking years and plays a large but undocumented role in ongoing struggles between the Saxons and the Vikings for control of what would be England. It focuses mostly on his personal life but it is set in the grander story. The title refers to Wessex, the last unconquered kingdom at the time of the story's beginning.

It's a great show that stays small in scope despite this huge narrative occurring around the main character.

K mf G and Xerobull like this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'll add that the first few seasons had a truly awesome story arch. It's still good, but that story finishing (because well, it did in real life lol) was bittersweet. It's picked back up last season though with a new big arch that was fascinating. I can't wait for next season. It's probably my favorite show on tv since the first few seasons of GOT.

Lots of good characters and good acting.

15. Xerobull

So how many murders and rapes per episode, would you say? Ballpark. Asking for a science friend.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes, but I think you meant to ask how many faces covered in swine shyte and soil were there.

17. Xerobull

Everyone knows that's part of the ritual...ah... or so science friends tell me.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

as a whole this show is more complete than GoT.

9.7/10, loved every minute of it

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just binged the whole gotdamn series.

Didn't like season 1. Thought season 2 was great. Season 3, not so much. Season 4 got better. Season 5 was great in the first half (Brida!) and ended ok. Looking forward to the movie.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

2 episodes in. It moves fast. For example, they come up with a plan to steal a sorceress, completely skip the scene where they steal her, and move straight into leveraging her theft in less than 10 seconds. That's moving lightning fast. But I liked.

The jokes are funny..."They want to wash me." lol.

And this is one of those times where my video game playing has been handy as it helped me with the plot. (Assassins Creed Valhalla.)