1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Rocket: Jeremy Lin says he never wanted to be a Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, May 2, 2020.

1. rockets13champs

Before you go and Diss Lin, he never knew anything about Houston back in 2012. He said that he actually told his agent to ask for less money from Houston so the Knicks could match. Houston was firm and did not want to lower the offer because it was a “poison pill” offer that allowed the Knicks to not match the offer. Jeremy Lin had 1 offer on the table and it was only from Houston.

but if you remember pre-harden era the Rockets had significant issues getting free agents to come, and even after until Dwight Howard a few years later. Every free agent I can remember used Houston as leverage for a bigger contract in another city.

iconoclastic and FrontRunner like this.
  2. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I don’t blame him. He had a perfect storm of success in New York and was beloved by the fans there. It was never a good fit here, for him or the Rockets.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol, he had one hot streak. He didn't want it to end. It ended. Move on man.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The guy had a lot of confidence issues. Geez.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

“Give me a less good of a contract...” I didn’t go to Harvard like Linny here buuuuut.....is that correct grammar?

RocketRed84, Blake, eliefor3 and 4 others like this.
  6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yeah that seems like a weird statement. Not that he didnt want to play in Houston which is a reasonable sentiment, but rather he still wanted to be in NY even if they didnt want to pay him. Most players in such situations would want to leave just to prove themselves. Yet he wants to take less money to stay with a team that didnt value him and a superstar who wants to marginalize him.

RocketRed84 and Richie_Rich like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Current Rockets fans wish Jeremy Lin was never a Rocket
    For the sake of his board, @Clutch probably wishes Jeremy Lin was never a Rocket

#7 J.R., May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
  8. Victorious

Victorious Member

Sounds like he never got over NY not matching. Never had the same confidence as he did when he caught lightning in a bottle with the Knicks

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Derek Fisher was a potential Rocket for couple of hours.....

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, you'd at least expect it to last 1 or 2 years but nope.

11. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Who?

Tfor3 and 34to11 like this.
  12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

I guess we have to get used to news reports like this for the near future!

God speed for the world and rockets worldwide.

Carmelo Anthony never wanted to be rocket by this same logic.

buffalobills!!!, juanm34 and Ramo$e like this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

ahhhh the great LOF vs LOH wars . Only eclipsed in their brutality by the Tjones vs DMO dilemma .

darksoul35, Huricane and daywalker02 like this.
  14. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Jeremy Lin's career is now defined as much by his lack of self-awareness and inability to accept reality as it is by Linsanity.

apollo33, Pringles, gotsis and 7 others like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

I wish his ass had never come here and brought all his psychotic, deity worshiping, low IQ fans

buffalobills!!!, s3ts, Roomba and 7 others like this.
  16. DJ

DJ Member

I wanted us to resign Dragic instead. We should have. Better player, more proven and still in the NBA

17. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Oh how I wish that would have happened. I hate to pin someone to two memories or past mistakes but when I hear his name all I remeber is his dumb plays, and particularly against the Blazers. He would always dribble to the mid range then pick up his dribble and get stuck, and when he dribbled out instead of passing and Mo Williams literally chased him for 5 seconds and poked the ball..

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I could go on and on about this. On one hand, I understand why they did it... The Rockets had nothing major going for them other than future assets and they were hosting the All-Star Game that year. Marketing and money mattered.

But to give him more money on average than Dragic got was brutal as far as on-court production went. Nothing highlighted more the difference between marketing and winning than the Lin press conference, which had Les Alexander present and was covered by CNN, followed by the Omer Asik press conference the next day. Nobody was there lol... Not even Daryl Morey.

Asik impacted the team/winning significantly more than Lin. Lin impacted the marketing/attention side.

If the Rockets knew they were getting Harden, I don't know if they pursue Lin.

We all tried to tell many of the Lin fans but they wouldn't listen. McHale or Sampson had it in for Jeremy, Harden needed to take a backseat, Bev was a far inferior player, Rockets fans hated Lin for nefarious reasons, etc.

Well, today James Harden is an MVP and a Hall of Famer, Patrick Beverley is NBA All-Defensive First Team and Jeremy Lin can't get a job in the league.

I guess the numbers were clear.

19. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Rockets beat the Blazers in the playoffs in 2014 if it wasn't for Lin.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Jeremy was doomed in NY because Melo didn't like MDA and Jeremy was the first thread to pull.

Who knows how things would be w/o Harden. Maybe a later exit when our lotto pick pushes him out. lol

/mic drop

RocketRed84 likes this.