1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harvard to reject $8.7m in federal aid after Trump cites school’s endowment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by calurker, May 1, 2020.

1. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/22/harvard-rejects-trump-call-to-return-stimulus-grant

The Ivy League school is following the actions of Stanford and Princeton universities, which also turned down funds amid growing scrutiny

This is somewhat stale news, but I just can't shake the outrage at these monsters. That's right, monsters, sociopaths, psychopaths, who dare to stick their dirty hands into NOT A ****ING COOKIE JAR, but food bank for the needy. Not to sound all Communist or War on Intellectuals and ****, but why do we allow such sociopathic institutions outsized influence on our society, and how can we expect our leaders educated at such places to come out anything other than being sociopaths themselves?

Compare them against, for example:

25. Johns Hopkins University — $4.266 Billion
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Endowment: $4,325,020,000
    Undergraduate Tuition: $53,740 per year
    Average Full Professor Salary: $163,409
    Annual Research Expenditures: $2,562,307,000

In what ****ing universe do Harvard, Stanford and Princeton think they are in any way justified to even look at the application for the loan?!!!

At this point, fundraising by elite universities is nothing more than a pissing contest.

In similar vein, we see shiny hospital and clinic buildings popping up all over the place by supposedly "financially distressed" non-profit medical systems. But I digress.

So many things ail this country, and it starts in large part with sociopath teaching institutions pumping out sociopath leaders.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the Ivy League money is tied directly to the number of low-income Pell Grant students there are at each institution, and 50% of the monies must go directly to emergency grants to students:

https://gbpi.org/.../how-the-federal-relief-package.../

Numbers on how many Pell Grant recipients there are in the Ivy League:

https://www.romanhighered.com/.../pell-grant-recipients...

Some of these institutions (e.g., Cornell) had pledged to give ALL of the money to students in the form of emergency grants

jcf likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think denying Harvard the money is the right thing. But, like the not-really-small-businesses that took small business money, I can understand the counter-argument: the officers of the company have a fiduciary obligation to the organization to maximize its advantage. When something is wholly owned and operated by a person, they can say 'I'm just going to pass on this.' But when you report to a Board and the Board is supposed to represent the interests of shareholders or stakeholders, employees, vendors, customers, etc, then you have so many obligations to do right by everyone else that you don't feel like you have any latitude to do anything else. Really the only thing that can free such an organization to do otherwise is to take so much PR abuse that the calculus for maximizing the organization's advantage actually flips. So, yeah I get it, the behavior is anti-social and terrible, but I'd say it's our capitalist culture that's done it, not just a couple of sociopaths at the top. Our whole society is built to operate this way.

jcf and dmoneybangbang like this.
  4. calurker

You're OK with handouts all of a sudden? Color me surprised.

5. calurker

I think we have found the problem.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

None of that matters. What matters is that Trump didn't like it.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You think it should be otherwise?

8. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...what he MIGHT mean is something you said just after...

...our problem isn't the "system"...not so much as our own collective adherence to its operation....

...we've all bought this lemon and tinkered around with it and pretended that everything with it was just fine for the past 40-some-odd years, and blamed everything (or everybody) else we could for it belching smoke and breaking down on the side of the road every other half-mile....;)

JuanValdez and calurker like this.