1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 Season and MLB Realignment. Stros and Dodgers in Same Division

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 29, 2020.

1. msn

msn Member

Take no prisoners.

SWTsig likes this.
  2. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

1980 was several generations ago lol I mean I guess cuz I didn't live thru it, I was born in '94 but 40 years ain't exactly like saying 2 weeks ago

3. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Right!!!! This will be perfect for the Astros. They wouldn’t have to deal with the hat during the game... I don’t care. EVERY non-gentleman sport is rigged at some level... and/or can be corruptible. Refs, players, etc... everyone needs an edge. The more money you got the more you can get alway with.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Should be set up for just one road trip to each city within the divisional play. If that means a 5 or 6 game series then so be it. A 5 game series would be great since you'd see each pitcher in a rotation for each series. Makes things more even when you're only playing a set amount of teams.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I’d watch the games. It would be ****ing weird as ****, but I’d watch them.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. msn

msn Member

It was one generation ago (1.3, if you're being technical). That's ages ago for you, maybe, but everyone doesn't share your post-Nolan-Ryan point of view. :cool: For those of us who can vaguely remember seeing Don Wilson and JR Richard in uniform, and hearing our folks talk about Eddie Matthews's 500th, 1980 wasn't so long ago. :)

Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Unless your over 50 and were a dedicated baseball fan back in the day, there isnt anything to revive. It would be strange at first, but I could get onboard seeing the Dodgers often. Not great with the idea of doing this for one shortened season, getting used to who your new rivals are, only to have it all change again the next year as we revert back to our customary divisions.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I wouldn't mind if this became the norm...at least until 2 more teams get added. As a long-time Astros fan, the sanctity of the leagues went out the window when they forced us to move to the AL.

Might as well make it one league, take 3 division winners and then next 3 out of each division and seed them all. Bottom 8 teams by record have to face each other in a "wild-card" 3 game series round winners go on to play the other 4 (3 division winners and top non-division winner).

9. msn

msn Member

Not quite 50, and I remember 80 and 81 well. I hated the Dodgers all the way through the early 90s. Steve Sax was such a prick.

10. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Geez you gotta be like 70 by now to remember 1980 "very well" jajajaja

Like somebody else stated there's nothing to "revive", but if for one year it'd be neat to bash their heads in for all the crap they're throwing at us.

11. msn

msn Member

Your opinion is duly noted. Just because you were in diapers fifteen years after something was relevant doesn't mean it didn't happen and couldn't be revived. The world didn't begin in 1994.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You were what, 8 or 9 years old? OK, I have a few strong memories from that age. Not in sports though. My point is, not many do have strong memories of that era specifically in a Dodgers / Astros context. It would be like starting anew for most, and that is fine.

htwnbandit likes this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

Gavin Lux is related to Darla McGuckian.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hell, I started going to the games with my father as soon as the team started playing in Houston at the temporary stadium, now down in Vera Cruz, the last I heard. We struggled for so many years, but we had some great players while we were doing it. Great pitching. Excellent players here and there. Some, like Joe Morgan, having the most success after they left, but we got to watch them in Houston first. The team could never quite get is together. It was fun, though.

htwnbandit likes this.
  15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

what if they had records of how loud each teams home games were and pumped in that level of noise at games this year. i.e how loud was the crowd in their 1st home game and match that level for this years 1st home game so on and so forth

16. msn

msn Member

Of course it's fine; but for some of us it's a revival, which is fine.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would like to see the Stros come out with a chip on their shoulder and kick ass but my head tells me if this happens that they and the rest of the league are just going to go through the motions. Without fans and playing out of minor league stadiums, also with players isolated from their families for the season, that the players will be as pumped up for it as they are for spring training.

Also consider the MLB is pressing for them to take less to play under these conditions too.

18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

You’re not wrong, but TRUST me when I tell you it sometimes feels like 2 weeks. You’ll find that out soon enough though!

msn and htwnbandit like this.
  19. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

And I just don’t see us getting back to normal even in 2021 to be totally honest

20. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member