1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Major

Major Member

Unless your hardcore involved shutting down literally everything including hospitals, police, fire, government, grocery, gas, etc, people would still be wandering around and contracting it. Which means whenever you open, you'd just start the process again from where we were in February. There was never any scenario where this thing was going to be eradicated completely - the purpose of flattening the curve was to give our medical universe time to prepare.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

3. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You got some sauces? Fill us in.

mikol13 likes this.
  5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

So, hypothetically speaking, I meant more hardcore than China where they took you from your house if you went out and public and exhibited any symptoms. Then you were in the corona hospital instead of the regular hospital. I meant combining the S. Korea phone tech showing breakout areas to avoid, with greater-than-Chinese level suppression. Would that have done it? Again, not realistic, but in theory, an all-powerful, organized, on-point government with a 100% agreeable law abiding public could kill this thing in 3 or 4 weeks, no?

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I know you’re “hypothetically speaking” but last I checked, this is a free country. You aren’t going to see anything like what China did. Hell they built huge concrete walls on roads to shut cities down. That’s not going to happen here. This was all to slow down the spread and get hospitals and medical workers prepared and not overwhelmed. It has worked for the most part.

I’m certainly not comfortable going back to work next week, and I’m in meetings having to deal with this all this week. We are in discussions about keeping people that can work from home (90% of us) at home for another few weeks. Basically not to exceed 25% capacity at any given time. People can go up to the office and get things, etc. I hope most companies do the same.

I’m not in the hospitality industry though. That industry needs to get back to work ASAP or things are going to get much worse. $1,500 or whatever isn’t going to pay those people’s bills, and unfortunately most in the hospitality industry are living paycheck to paycheck.

Hakeemtheking and YOLO like this.
  7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Reopening when we haven't met any of the criteria laid out by medical experts for doing so is pennywise and pound foolish. It will make the problem it seeks to solve worse. It will increase the spread of the virus and it will almost certainly result in another, longer shutdown.

The business I've helped to build over 27 years is losing so much revenue, over the shutdown and the hit to the economy, it's likely to shutter. But we're not about to open our doors and become part of the problem. If our business closes permanently, so be it. This is bigger than any person, group of people, business, or industry. It requires sacrifice from everyone. That's the only way we're going to get through this.

Also, **** Greg Abbott.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think the news will drop later this week on some good-looking therapeutic options. Very impressive international effort led by US biochemists. I hope it is a breakthrough but too early to tell.

9. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

jboslett, pippendagimp, leroy and 3 others like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes. That also meant we would scarifies whoever was already infected and needed help, and anyone else that needed help for that matter, including anyone that needed food, water, TP, ... so not realistic at all and probably much deadlier :)

But we don't really need to go to that extreme. What’s realistic is what South Korea has done, which got hit hard but was able to quickly flatten it to a very low level with fast aggressive testing and same old trace and isolate every known case method. (we aren't doing what SK has done... in case there is any confusion)

Kim likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We damn well better change then, because we are naive If we don’t think viral warfare is in the near future. What happens when there is a virus with a x5 death rate to what it is now?

IMO, we need to get our **** together. This isn’t a one off. This is a weapon that has only one defense, and that defense is inherently easier to implement for our greatest threats, Russia and China.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

So that’s if? Everything is fine now and life goes back to normal Friday?

We go from mandatory masks with a 1k fine on Monday to it’s all good on Friday? Feel like we are being played

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe this is best left for the D&D thread but I really think protests have made a difference by either frightening feckless politicians or encouraging those that sympathize with the protesters. As has been noted none of the states, including my own, that are relaxing standards have met the CDC guidelines.

Ziggy and davidio840 like this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

In the UK and Italy in the last weeks there has been a spike of children hospitalisations with Kawasaki disease caused by Covid19.

Very strange.
    Not that it can cause Kawasaki
    but that it is happening now and not from the start
    and also in europe.
    One would expect that Japan and South Korea would have noticed a 10 times spike already and months ago.

Mazulis and Nook like this.
  15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

B-Bob be like:

[​IMG]

B-Bob and malakas like this.
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Coronavirus 'acts like no pathogen humanity has ever seen,' say doctors

Spoiling this since so effing depressing ...

This New York Magazine piece on what we do and do not yet know about the novel coronavirus is really good. It's weird seeing everyone compare COVID-19 to the flu, when there are reports coming in of patients dying of exploding hearts and glitching cytokines.

Writes David Wallace-Wells at New York mag's Intelligencer:
    More:
    We Still Don’t Know How the Coronavirus Is Killing Us

And here is the Scientific American piece referenced above:
    How does coronavirus kill? Clinicians trace a ferocious rampage through the body, from brain to toes

Sajan, malakas, robbie380 and 3 others like this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I thought only adults could get Kawasaki disease..?

[​IMG]

malakas likes this.
  18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Don't know much about motorcycles and not trying to be racist but that bike is definitely british, not asian. You can tell by the way it is.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

malakas and robbie380 like this.
  20. elrond

elrond Member

I don't think it's a good idea to open the state up on Friday, seems like there is plenty of data from the spanish flu to tell you what is going to happen. As has been said, it feels like they're just accepting people/hospitals/etc. are just going to have to find a way to deal with it, and just hope by some miracle it doesn't get back out of control. Even harder for me to understand why they are removing the mask edict. It seems like with everything opening up you should at the very least still require people to wear masks

Currently residing in Taiwan, and we've had 3 straight days of 0 new cases. Considering the population density here and the fact that we have had no lockdown whatsoever and that schools have been running normally outside of an extended 2 week CNY break, I find it to be quite amazing. I would attribute the success to a few major factors: Early preparation and reaction, controlling travel and requiring self quarantine for people who traveled, somewhat draconian tracking system for quarantined folks, really good contact tracing for infected people, and good mask hygiene. I strongly encourage those who are going to be out and about to continue wearing masks even if it isn't a requirement. Definitely better to be safe than sorry.

Nook and malakas like this.