1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

The Last of Us Part II has leaked!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Yordan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

There are massive Spoilers all over social media about this anticipated game. Had it ruined for me earlier. Please be careful if you plan on going in this blind. Game is scheduled to be released in late June.

ryan_98 likes this.
  2. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Thanks man. Ppl who spoil things just to troll are terrible people.

Air Yordan likes this.
  3. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Crazy thing is that it was a disgruntled employee from Naughty Dog that leaked it allegedly.

tinman likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That’s too much work from too many people. Lame as hell

Air Yordan likes this.
  5. Outlier

Outlier Member

I couldnt finish the first one. The gameplay was just repetitive. Might as well look at these spoilers

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

She is bi-curious

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Have been eagerly awaiting TLOU2 for quite some time.

Have even put off building a gaming PC and giving up the console life, just to play TLOU2.

One of my friends was heavy into the first one and he all but told me I need to read the spoilers for this game.

This is the first game I have ever read spoilers for - I guess that's also in part because no games really get me as excited as TLOU has.

And I'm honestly glad I did.

I don't think i'll be buying this game.

I honestly implore you to check out the spoilers before buying this game and potentially wasting your hard earned money.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Fascinating story. Employees working 100 hour work weeks and 12 hour work days, 5 days a week, finally cracked. Supposedly getting low wages. And there you have it. Leak.

I've never understood why companies let wages and work conditions get in the way. Yes. Everyone wants to work there. You can probably replace them. But this is what happens. You will lose a critical team member at some point if you don't make them feel like kings. And then everyone and everything sinks into the abyss. There is more than enough money to go around if you deliver a quality product.

On the Leak side on the equation. Think you have to expect it. I'm actually surprised there aren't more leaks in the entertainment industry. It's not a deal breaker. But you add in some bad press, and everyone loses. One rogue employee, and there is always at least one, likely justified, and you should have a leak. I'm not sure how I feel about it. The leaker is undermining the work everyone was paid to do, but at the same, I totally get why anyone thrown under a bus would do it. That is human nature. And probably very satisfying to watch it burn. But you better cover your tracks.

Think developers have to prepare multiple endings if they want to deliver a surprise. Super tough to do. But not impossible. The leak is almost inevitable. To cover the cost, they could release a directors cut of the game as a micro transaction after release.

#8 PhiSlammaJamma, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  9. runamok

runamok Member

Heard some of the spoilers, this is bizarre, just hard for me to believe, I feel like I just got The Last Jedied...
    - The first game was so beautifully moving at moments, I was really looking forward to this. Even if they gave this for free, I would not feel like wasting time on this. How did they go in this direction? Maybe Im wrong- confused....

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm glad this was spoiled because I would have been furious if they forced me through this crap.

The gameplay was never special, the characters and atmosphere was. With such a s**t plot, part 2 has nothing going for it.

donkeypunch likes this.
  11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Oh great another Star Wars/Game of thrones situation where fanboys go to defcon 5 because of a spoiled plot leaks reveal that fanboys cannot control the plot they wanted so they revolt like brats.

I read the leaks... yes I see why it’s controversial. Yes I’ll understand why after being spoiled why you might be tempted to avoid the game.

However people just need to realize that with these big franchises you as fans don’t own the character and you don’t own the writers who create the characters and their journey. I went back the other day and watched the last two Star Wars movies the other day after some time of seeing the finale a few months back and my overall consensus is that the writers in the finale were waaayyyy top aware of fanboy reactions to the last Jedi and it ultimately hurt the finale in the worst possible ways.

I think it all starts with spoiler culture of course, and it’s bad for the modern art we need as an escape but imo the ownership of the artists that poor their heart and time into their work is unfair as well. It sort of speaks to our culture in general of selfishness. And the artists need to find a say to completely block out fanboys. I hope that the writer for the Game of Thrones books gives zero sh$ts to fanboy reactions to the shows conclusion for this reason.

End rant.

(FYI I am not much of a gamer but thoroughly enjoyed TLOU 1 but unsure myself if I’ll partake on this one. With a 5 year old now it’s hard to get even an hour of dad time so not sure if I’ll have time)

12. Downtown Sniper

I have a two part question for you.

1) What did you thoroughly enjoy about the first game?

13. dobro1229

I think the first thing that grabbed me was the realism. Especially being based in Austin for the first scene. Some of the zombies are a unrealistic of course, but otherwise one of the more accessible zombie stories in a time where we are saturated in the genre. I think I found the game around the time where I was trying to find something to wash the sins of The Walking Dead away with something I heard was the best the genre had to offer.

I'm also a sucker for father daughter stories especially as I get older and more grizzled. The character of Jake was very relatable, and you kind of get into his head a bit. I think the writers knew who would be playing the game, and played their cards well at creating a character they'd be able to get into that wasn't a cartoon cutout like something someone like Jason Mamoa would be playing.

The scenery was great as well, and felt there was alot to explore within the game play. I also like games that aren't super hard because I don't have endless hours to sharpen my skills.

#13 dobro1229, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

GOT and Star Wars sucked because they were written poorly, very, very poorly. You don't have to be a brat fanboy to be mad about very lazy writing of any kind. Spoilers never had anything to do with it.

This may not be written poorly, but the scenario that the spoilers set up simply isn't enjoyable. I'm honestly not sure how any sane person could find it enjoyable.

15. dobro1229

Fair enough, but I think execution and the journey that gets from one plot point to another is what typically matters. Like imagine if someone spoiled the plot of Alien before you saw it, and you learned that:

-Space truckers land on an abandoned planet to find an alien ship with a creature that infects the crew, and kills the crew one by one until one final survivor... a woman... manages to escape only to find that the alien stays with her, and in the final act, our hero blows the alien out of the airlock.

Like... would you say that sounds like a fresh piece of groundbreaking art?

Also I didn't think that the writing or the production quality of GOT was bad by any stretch especially in comparison to other TV shows. The execution quality came down to rushed timing IMO, and with more episodes to see and feel the decline of the lead character, the ending would have felt much more earned. With Star Wars, I felt the first two in the new series were really good actually. I felt like the Las Jedi was pretty damn good, but I know many hate it.

I get your point, but I just feel that when spoilers come out with a big franchise, I think it creates a scenario where the fans do not get the journey to get them from one plot point to another, and there's a sense (especially with Star Wars) that the franchise writers owe them the story they want.

16. Downtown Sniper

I was guessing some point within your answer the reasoning for characters would be in there.

So my follow up question is:

Do you truly think people are being brats by hating on the story after the leaks have come out? There is obviously a crowd which hates the SJW route TLOU2 has gone - much like the Star Wars film.

However, I would hazard a guess and say the vast majority much like myself aren't hating the game for the SJW route, but because they have effectively taken one of - if not the single greatest - parts of the original game, and not only killed it; but then think that playing the second half of the game as the person who killed the entire memory of the first, is something fans are going to look forward to?

sealclubber1016 likes this.
  17. dobro1229

A. Yeah I see alot of the same people who are repeating the Last Jedi/SJW outrage, but will obviously pull the "how dare you... its about the characters" excuse. We all know its about the SJW outrage in some cases. Nobody likes art that forces ideology into their work, but I don't think Last Jedi type social justices are controversial at all. We aren't talking about Atlas Shrugged here. With the LGBT elements in TLOU, it'll probably be all about the dialog between characters that'll play out any agendas here. It's 2020. Doesn't matter where you live, it's part of our world, and people around you will be different than you. It's not Atlas Shrugged to have central LGBT characters in art IMO.

B. I get it about the character play here. Many will see it as being forced into rooting for the bad guy. Like the writers are treating it like a Predator game where you have a level where you get to play as the Predator with all kinds of cool gadgets and stuff. I just don't see the people behind this game treating their piece of work that they spent years developing treating the storyline like that. Look at Game of Thrones and the Red Wedding. There's a reason why it happens in season 3. Also the characters that pulled off the Red Wedding were essentially new characters too, but there was alot of context around other characters we DID know (like Tywin Lannister, etc.) that allowed the event to feel earned. I have no idea how they'll pull off killing Jake, and in the end possibly killing off Ellie (spoilers seem less clear here), but I don't think this is these are the type of creators that wouldn't put a hell of alot of thought into the process of getting from point A to point Z.

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think @dobro1229 has the correct read on this so far. It's possible that the game was never going to live up to the hype and the leaks portray the second half of the game as an unsettling perspective shift.

But, the first game would also look like a cliche if you wrote its plot in the style of these leaks:
    "Bitter father figure who lost his daughter at the start of a zombie outbreak learns to feel again while shepherding an immune girl, who happens to be around the age of his daughter when she died, across the country chasing after a cure."

That story's been written a thousand times. But it's how Naughty Dog told it that made the first game a masterpiece. Naughty Dog also made the Uncharted series (which I loved). But, if you only read the script of that game without any of the settings or gameplay, you'd read it like a poor man's straight-to-video Indiana Jones knock off.

dobro1229 likes this.
  19. dobro1229

Imagine if the plot of Game of Thrones leaked at some point before the final season that Tyrione Lannister would get his head chopped off by a new Nightswatch character introduced, then that character ended up becoming the new Hand of the King.

Yeah... fanboys would freak the F out. I get it.

But then if GRRM came out and said that there are 20 chapters of character introduction prior to the Nightswatch character prior to him killing Tyrione, the Nightswatch character is actually the other stark boy who goes lost, and that there are three books between the killing of Tyrion and the Nightwatch character becoming Hand of the King.... I think people would probably take a deep breath and have some trust in GRRM to deliver.

I'm not promoting the game or anything but I would say that if you enjoyed the first game, and have the time to play it, it would be kind of silly to not give it a try, and if you are fan who wanted to play... AVOID the spoilers.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If that character then became the star of the show and proceeded on his quest to wipe out the other Starks, that would be a closer analogue. And no I don't think viewers would be happy with that..at all. Tyrion and the Starks are the protagonists of the series and the ones people are attached to. New guy will never be that.

If you played as Ellie on her quest for revenge and things got muddy, that could be a masterpiece. Playing as the killer of beloved character trying to kill other beloved character, I honestly can't wrap my head around that working. Why would I even want to keep playing.