1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What’s one of your Favorite “Back Against the Wall” Performances?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Alimoe84, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I was watching a throwback game. The 1993 WCF Seattle vs Phoenix. Barkley put up 44 and 24. What’s one of your favorite “back against the wall games?” Some others that immediately came to mind...

L. James Game 6: 45 and 15 on the road and down 3-2 to Boston in the 2012 ECF

V. Maxwell: Game 3: 31 second half points on the road and down 2-0 to Phoenix in 1994 WCSF

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Not NBA but Collin Sexton in college at Alabama vs Minnesota. 3 on 5 and almost pulled it off. He put up 40 points in that game. That's crazy to think about.

Also he's a very slept on player in the NBA since he plays for Cleveland. The guy is averaging 19pts, 3rebs, 3ast a game and nobody knows about him.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree that an away game is a key criteria of back against the wall. Thx for Maxwell reminder.

I hate to say this, but Klay’s 19 point 4th Q, away Game 6 elimination game v OKC in 2016 saved their ass.

They were down 8 at start of 4th, and he hit 5 straight threes, including 3 to start the 4th, and the one to take the lead under 2 minutes to go.

oh, and just thought I’d add, Mailman doesn’t deliver on Sundays.

Yung-T, RustyHarden and Caesar like this.
  4. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Game 6 vs clippers a couple years ago.

with harden on the bench and down , what, almost 20 or something, we rode Jsmoove and C Brewer to a comeback and sucked the life out of the clips..

**** was surreal.. lol

Yung-T, rocketchamp, Raider17 and 8 others like this.
  5. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

How about Cleveland in Game 5 in 2016? Still crazy that LeBron (and Kyrie) pulled that off.

6. Asian Sensation

Entire 94-95 Rockets run from regular season until the Championship was amazing.

-Made playoffs as a 6th seed. 47-35 record
    -Lost last 3 games of regular season
    -Lost game 1 round 1 of Playoffs vs Jazz
    -Lost first 2 games in the 2nd round vs Suns.
    -Came back from 3-1 down vs Suns to win series. Game 7 was won by 1 point.
    -Took down San Antonio in 6. Spurs finished with the league record best 62-20 season and had MVP David Robinson. They were heavy favorites. Rockets were +250 underdog.
    -Swept the young and talented Magic who were on an incredible high from eliminating Jordan/Pippen Bulls and deep Pacers team filled with vets.
    -We were underdogs in every series. The most improbable Championship run of all time save maybe the Mavs from 2010-2011.
    -We’re the only team to have won an NBA championship as a 6th seed.

dc rock, smoothie_king and Patience like this.
  7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Good answer. Too many backs-to-the-wall performances that season to name just one.

daywalker02 and Asian Sensation like this.
  8. prs325

prs325 Member

Birth of the Heart of a Champion

9. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

McHale is closest thing to Rudy tomjanovich.

The 1995 nba finals game 1 was a must win game in Orlando. Kenny Smith hit seven three's and seventh made three pointer sent game into overtime.

Rockets needed every bucket because I'm sure Shaq would have took over in that finals series.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think 96 against the sonics down 3-0. The Rockets lost the game but did they ever make a comeback and almost pulled off a tremendous upset. I really believe had Horry not fouled out in OT, the Rockets would have come back to win that series.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

yes, thank you. it was one last "heart of a champion" moment. we weren't as good that year. the sonics had our number. we were down 20. but after 8 elimination game wins in a row the previous 2 years, you know people were thinking "can these guys be killed?" when we made the comeback. and yeah, i would've believed in us for the next 3 games if we pulled it off.

individually, hard to beat lebron's game 6 in terms of pressure on a person in terms of legacy. to have 45/15 and do most of that in only 3 quarters is crazy.

just because, i'm going to mention horry in game 5 against the pistons. tim duncan choking the game away in the 4th, game 6 would be in detroit, horry comes up with a ridiculous 21 points in the 4th and OT, including a huge dunk and the game-winning 3 when rasheed wallace inexplicably left the guy nicknamed "big shot bob" wide open for no apparent reason.

that's one thing largely missing from jordan's resume (for a good reason, but still missing). the bulls won so many series from in front that you had a raft of big games, but rarely had an elimination game. starting in '91, you basically only had orlando game 6 (loss) and pacers game 7 (win), right? or maybe they were down 3-1 to orlando. arguably the most back to the wall moment they had was down 0-2 to the knicks and jordan actually shot 3-18 in game 3 (though 16-17 from the line to make it respectable) but the bulls still won.

Yung-T and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

the refs in the 2002 wcf did admirably with their backs against the wall.

Yung-T and francis 4 prez like this.
  14. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Danuel house versus celtics, the overtime game in early March.

The rockets struggled mightily and house stepped up with the offensive rebound putback dunk against Celtics, the harden steal and dunk on a fastbreak.

Not sure, I wanna say house got a double-double in points and rebound which has been rare ever since Capeala got traded!

15. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

You didn't say it had to be a game of consequence, so I'm going to go with this one. :p

[​IMG]

16. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I was 11 in 1996 and remember most of the big games from the Rockets in the 90s. But I somehow didn’t remember this game at all. I had to go watch the comeback on YouTube! Who knew Horry and Cassell would go down swinging and then get shipped off for Barkley?

‘97 Rockets Are up their with the ‘18 Rockets as far as squandered opportunities go.

17. bmelo

bmelo Member

LeBron against GSW after being 3-1 down. That was GOAT level

Yung-T likes this.
  18. LpBryan03

LpBryan03 Member

T-mac. Game of no significance, but you can't discount the 13 in 33.

Yung-T likes this.
  19. JW86

JW86 Member

94 Nuggets were down 2-0 and 3-0 in consecutive rounds only to win 3 straight in both series. That team does not get its due for how they almost came back from 3-0 against the Jazz and I believe they would’ve given the Rockets fits. 3-2 in 93-94 against us with 2 narrow losses.

Mutombo got a lot of leeway with walking, those elbows and fouls when blocking shots. Then PG wise they were equal, if not more lethal with Abdul-Rauf, big bench and Stith & Phonz who were strong fundamental players and solid defenders.

Anyway, Reggie Williams came up big to give them a 1st victory in both series! Game 3 vs Sonics - 30+ points with a hot 1st quarter. Then in Game 4 vs. Jazz hit the game winner. That takes balls and composure. For a player long forgotten by most, he sure as hell came through when it mattered.

Yung-T and francis 4 prez like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Lebron against the pistons where he ran off like 25 straight points

Yung-T likes this.