1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Thank god BBob is here to police this thread from D&D topics.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Cool article. Thanks! It’s the future!? When I was having my “virtual” office visit, I looked at the oximeter and then thought about the old fashioned thermometer we have and shook my head. If the oximeter could check my temp and my blood pressure while connected to my finger, it would be nearly perfect! I need to keep looking online for a digital thermometer.

Look often enough and almost anything will briefly pop up on Amazon, not that they’re the only source. Got my much better half a new sewing machine that way. What she wanted was suddenly there and from a highly rated source, I grabbed it, and then checked again on availability. They were then “unavailable,” of course, after 3 minutes.

Detour is my middle name. ;-)

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Hundreds of protestors expressed their anger toward Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo’s order requiring all county residents to wear face masks in public. The large group gathered outside the Harris County Administration Building in downtown Houston Wednesday.

The protest, similar to others taking place across the country, highlighted the growing tension between personal liberty and public health in a time of national crisis.

About 200 people carrying signs, flags and bull horns gathered on the sidewalk.

“I’m tired of the government trying to tell us what to do," said protestor Marga Matthews.

The protest was organized by longtime conservative activist Dr. Steven Hotze and attorney Jared Woodfill, the former chairman of the Harris County Republican Party.

They also filed a lawsuit Wednesday seeking to block the order requiring all county residents to wear face masks, to wash their hands, and to not touch their faces for 30 days on pain of a one thousand dollars fine.

Their lawsuit contends Judge Hidalgo’s order is unconstitutional and an overreach of her power.

“The order that we’re dealing with right now we believe is an unconstitutional, trampling and infringement on our liberties,” Woodfill said. “This is one individual who is dictating from her office over there on Preston as to what we can or can’t do.”

In opposition, the county attorney says the Texas Constitution gives the judge broad power during an emergency to implement public health measures such as quarantine and the wearing of face masks.

But medical experts like Dr. Joseph Varon who treat virus victims at the United Memorial Medical Center in north Houston say requiring face masks makes sense.

“Some of my own friends are not happy with this idea.” Dr. Varon said. “This is a measure that may prevent more spreading of the COVID. As it is right now, we’re still in a crisis, we’re still not over this hump. And this will prevent more cases."

“There’s no constitutional right not to wash your hands; no constitutional right during a pandemic to be allowed to spread a deadly virus to other people," Assistant Harris County Attorney Seth Hopkins said.

“It’s reasonable, during this transition phase, to ask people to cover their mouths. Similar laws were declared constitutional during the 1918 pandemic. They were constitutional then, they’re constitutional today.”

The judge’s order follows recommendations from the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention already being followed in Dallas and Bexar counties. Other Texas counties, like Galveston and Montgomery counties are opposing the measure on constitutional grounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

no social distancing going on whatsoever...no one wearing masks...fcking idiots

I wonder how many new cases will pop up in the city because of this dumb sh*t

Hakeemtheking and cheke64 like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

200 isn't that big, considering how "draconian" the law is.

If anyone's infected, it'll take a while before the doubling rate bubbles up.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why is it umm... always the same crowd at these things... and why are they even wearing clothes if they want to protest mandates to wear stuff?

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Keep your laws off my body!

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And also just a typical Saturday night for Fatty.

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson, ArtV and LonghornFan like this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They all fat.

But seriously, we are all coping with this in our own ways. Their way of coping with the loss of (perceived) control is probably not the best, but hey, we're all struggling a bit.

Hakeemtheking and Air Yordan like this.
  9. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

And they’re white too...

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The unemployment numbers are really skewed right now. It'll take a while to get a true picture. This is due to:

1. Never in history can self employed or contractors apply. Many, many are applying, and many are applying while still doing some work. This includes landscapers, personal trainers, "gig" economy drivers, hairstylists, etc. Many of these people have really been hurt, but many more are just getting "extra" money.

2. With the extra $600 per week, many people make more money on unemployment than by working. Many employers are "doing their employees a favor" by temporarily furloughing them with the full intention to bring them back ~90 days later, rather than covering their costs. I know of at least 3 people that have begged to be fired to get unemployment. They had jobs that weren't even exposed to the public, but they'll make more on unemployment.

3. Many of those going on unemployment will be back to work (not all) in the next 60-90 days (hopefully).

Hakeemtheking, Cokebabies and B-Bob like this.
  11. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Pasa-get-down-dena

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

At least another 200K case this week.

900+K total CV cases.

SMDH.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

a waste. but a precautionary disaster if the local hospitals were drastically overwhelmed as potentially projected, which isn't the case

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Time to head to Gilley's.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

What is the deal with protesters? It's literally a mask on your face when you go outside. People be acting like they're being told to go get invasive plastic surgery to alter major parts of their body or something.

If it's not punishable by law (through fines or otherwise), then people are simply not going to comply. So it's a waste to decree that people should wear masks in public.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nook likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

i have no idea. its a monstrous temporary 30 days. abslutely became a bigger deal than it should have. instead of just a mask to wear in a short period of time it became a LE, money, protest circus. smh

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I have some bad news for you...

Buck Turgidson likes this.