1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Rocket Fans Only: Ralph or Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Apr 19, 2020.

?

Ralph or Yao in the Time After Moses

1. Ralph

43 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Yao

62 vote(s)
    59.0%
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mobile enough to shut Lebron down at the rim easily. EASILY... Lebron was consistently baffled by Yao, who was the pillar of some of the nastiest JVG defenses of all time.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Can't believe how similar their stats are. You'd imagine Yao's would look better if Ralph played equal amount of games+ft advantage for Yao. To answer the question, i'd take Yao in the 50s,60s,70s,80s and 90s. I'd take Ralph any time from 2000 to today.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ralph in his prime was a better player than prime Yao -- injuries ruined both their careers.

majicdonjuan and fattz like this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sampson was one of the most frustrating stars the Rockets ever had. He was often inconsistent, tried to do too much, got goaded into dumb fouls/technicals, etc. He was incredibly talented for his height, but even before his decline his inconsistency would drive people nuts. He was incredible in college, inconsistent in his first couple of years in the league and then injuries basically took the rest of his career. People always used to say he was a 7'4" guy trying to be a guard when he shouldn't be. He wasn't a back-to-the-basket center, but that's what a center was supposed to do in those days. I'm not sure he really enjoyed being under the spotlight in the NBA from what I remember about his interviews and how he got along with reporters. It didn't help that Fitch didn't get along with him from all accounts. Then Hakeem came into the league and well, Ralph was basically second fiddle to the best big man of the era.

If they were both healthy, who would I take? I'd take Yao. Before he got hurt, Yao was putting up numbers that were insane. But just like Ralph, his body just couldn't take it. Yao was the more likable of the two to me, at least outwardly. Mostly this is because I loved Yao and his work ethic that he displayed, and Ralph drove me nuts every time he tried to bring the ball up the court and make some dumb pass.

Some reading from yesteryear for those of you looking for impartial commentary not clouded by the passing of years :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ed-work/11d9f5f1-2cd5-431b-9d66-a5f71144eefe/
    https://vault.si.com/vault/1984/01/23/bigger-but-not-necessarily-better

One of the articles has this quote from some guy named Rudy about Ralph :

"Maybe he'll set a whole new trend for centers, ones with the grace of smaller men and the power of big men.

Just hang in there coach. Just wait one more year. You'll get your wish ... in a package delivered from Africa.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

My heart says Yao... but the game being what it is today... i gotta go Ralph.

6. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Ralph hit that unbelievable shot against the Lakers but I'll take Yao any day.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Underrated post.

lnchan likes this.
  8. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Gotta go with the gentle giant Yao

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Neat hearing yall talk about Ralph. My first basketball shoes were ralphs pumas but was just a bit young to absorb his prime. Yao was great. I dont know if he had the body type to be slim even if he tried.

10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

some college highlights in here too

KingCheetah, daywalker02 and tinman like this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ralph should have stopped playing for a year like Kahwai but the 80s, people just kept playing til they broke

I'll give it to modern times, the medical is better now

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ralph would have likely stayed healthy if he could have played down in the post, where he was most effective.
    Dream needed to be down there,.. Ralph's versatility cost him.

Assuming health, it's Ralph over Yao every time.

#52 Plowman, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    majicdonjuan and fattz like this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

Brother,

We know why Yao got his number retired in record time
    and somehow perfectly timed to get 'MAXIMUM AUDIENCE DURING CHINESE NEW YEAR'

Also why is Scrooge McDuck reading about it? Can't he speak from the heart?
    So what is more important? the season or Yao's retirement or MAXIMUM AUDIENCE?

@Air Yordan

14. stilldr34amin'

If healthy, Ralph is an easy choice for anyone who knows the history of our franchise.

majicdonjuan, fattz and Jturbofuel like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

So when Yao retired Les was salivating over have a "MAXIMUM AUDIENCE"

Why didn't he care about "MAXIMUM AUDIENCE WHEN HAKEEM RETIRED?"

@Air Yordan
    @Reeko
    @Jontro
    @Rocket River

We all know that Hakeem was more SIGNIFICANT for the Houston Rockets than Yao,
    so wouldn't he want a MAXIMUM AUDIENCE for Dream's retirement?

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Knowing the subsequent health issues of both players, I'd take Yao.

If we assume that both players would have a long and relatively healthy career like Hakeem, then the choice is more difficult.

Ralph clearly had a higher ceiling in terms of athletic capacity, quicker, more versatile. But he never really settled into a consistent game. After 3 or 4 years in the league, he was still trying to find his role. He might turn out to be a good jack of all trade but nothing really dominant kind of player. By the second year of Hakeem's NBA career, everyone knew that Olajuwon was the better half of the twin towers.

Yao was inferior physically. But he had better intangibles. He's smart. He's disciplined. He knew his game and kept working to be better. He had respect from his teammates and coaches. Ralph for all we know did not have that kind of personality.

Jontro likes this.
  17. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This!

Plowman likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think both would not be as good in today's game than in their respective eras but Ralph's agility would certainly help.

Looked gud.

We knew Yao had a decent shot.

#58 daywalker02, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  19. pocketrocket81

Ralph without a doubt but i still:: smh:: at what could have been with Hakeem Drexler and Jordan

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ralph moved like he was 6' 4".

tinman likes this.