1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

People are going to die, including relatives of ours most probably, but if you don't measure their corpses, I guess local governments won't have to admit what killed them. This is dark stuff. And (I hope I'm really wrong) if the next wave is bad enough, of course it's going to be worse for the long-term economy. Wait until enough delivery drivers, nurses, and public officials fall ill. Good lord.

But all my useless hand-wringing aside... what is "retail to go" versus normal retail? You can't sit in an aisle and open packages like you, um, normally do?

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to add that I don't think having some relaxing of standards is bad and from what I've seen of Abbot's proposal it doesn't look too bad. In MN the governor is likely going to open up golf courses and fishing. The problem though would be doing things like FL is doing and open up beaches where a lot of people will gather.

Nook, B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Good opportunity to help the Houston Food Bank...

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you can also say a lot of people will gather at the parks and stores

what needs to happen at the very least is to be prepared to require/provide everyone with face masks and enforce that together with social distancing/control people crowding in small spaces

5. NewRoxFan

Think of a mall, with all the small stores and tight aisles. Seems unlikely that "safe distancing" will be common. Sure hope they thought this one through...

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Most of FL beaches are not like South Beach. This is why DeSantis has largely left it up to the counties. Miami-Dade should stay closed.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If I were a healthcare worker, I would cash in that vacation time for the next peak and take up coding lessons or something.

Ofc, I'd do that if I had zero friends at work and the Hippocratic Oath was as useless to me as the Constitutions these leaders swore on.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea, it doesn't look bad.

Retailer must offer "to go" option. Small crack opening up and probably not a big wave of people going shopping. Probably impact small cities more than anything.

State park with party of 5 max and must maintain 6ft - plenty of land so pretty min.

In 10 days, we get more of the meat.

(our testing still sucks and I hear nothing about that)

11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Since the Rockets and the NBA are shutdown for the year and there is no more professional or college basketball, here is something to tide everyone over a bit until next year. Nuns playing basketball while locked down for the coronavirus in Sevilla, Spain:

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

don't know about retail, but face covering is required at the state parks opening up next mon

14. conquistador#11

Germany to open small businesses and schools on Cinco de Cuatro day(May 4th) German futbol teams are now practicing. Jealous of their teams resuming play. (priorities).

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

Montgomery County ends its Stay At Home order...

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

"The FEMA contract with Panthera, which was awarded without competitive bidding, has a start date of April 1, according to a summary. Lizzie Litzow, a FEMA spokeswoman, said the Panthera contract is for 10 million masks, adding, “Panthera is not a manufacturer, they are a distributor of N95 masks.”

The price that FEMA is paying Panthera per mask, about $5.50, is significantly higher than what the government pays companies such as 3M, which charges as little as 63 cents per N95 mask, with an average cost of about $1.50 for more advanced models, according to a price index."

So where are the kickbacks going to?

18. NewRoxFan

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Unless that is a actually a photo from another time, we are basically going to have the treat of watching an Idiocracy prequel.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lasted all of a month. ;)

Jacksonville, Texas, Michigan, Virginia... "Enough of this quarantine, stay at home stuff"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8230587/US-states-tentative-opening-dates.html
    • Michigan, Wisconsin and Idaho have all expressed plans to reopen in some form by May 1 when the federal guidelines for social distancing expire
    • Some states, like hard-hit New York, had already committed this week to extending lockdown measures into at least mid-May
    • Seven states - Arkansas, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming - still have no stay-at-home orders in place for its residents
    • Just one day after laying out his roadmap, Trump urged his supporters to 'LIBERATE' the states of Virginia, Michigan and Minnesota - effectively encouraging protests against the stay-at-home restrictions.

RayRay10 and conquistador#11 like this.