1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is what I don't get about the right's argument that the measures put in place are too strict. Would you have preferred they waited until the numbers in the early models were closer to reality? At what point do you make that decision? It's clear it was already made too late and there were weeks of inaction by the federal government. While the numbers now and going forward look much better as compared to the original projections, it could've been better had trumpybear not played games (literally playing golf and holding rallies with large amounts of people) with mitigation instead.

It also bothers me that they keep saying, "there was only 1 at the time..." BULLS***. There was only 1 confirmed. It seems pretty obvious that the virus was here earlier and more prevalent than originally thought. I'll have to find the article I read the other day, but there was a Stanford U study showing it was in CA much earlier than the first publicly confirmed case in the state.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We are behind a few others in testing.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...sting-for-coronavirus-most-per-capita-its-not

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/26/us/coronavirus-testing-states.html

South Korea, China, and UK have lower cases per capita than the United States.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-cases-per-capita-chart-countries-2020-3

RayRay10 and BlackHalo like this.
  3. BlackHalo

BlackHalo Member

Not going to pretend I have the answer to that. I'll only say I'm a common sense guy but...

As with most issues I'd like things to be handled at more of a local level. I could type a long response on what I'd have done, but it doesn't really matter. Just wish we had a more grounded approach with facts and common sense.

And you can pick on "Trumpybear" but Pelosi was on TV telling people come to China town in SF it's safe etc in February I believe... there's plenty of fault to go around. Facui was saying early on that this was nothing to be worried about...

But I get it, I didn't like Obama and if he did the same thing Trump did I'd be right there saying probably the same **** you guys are. It's the way it goes.

I'm just a gun/freedom loving 'Murican that is a rarity on this site.. and I like the Rockets :)

B@ffled likes this.
  4. BlackHalo

BlackHalo Member

I don't believe a thing China has put out and honestly I don't even believe our own numbers. Think there is a strong possibility they are wrong on either end of the spectrum. Honestly hard to know what numbers/test to trust at this point. But as mentioned, they all look better then predicted. Two weeks behind Italy right? Heard that on Conservative boards, bros were licking their chops at a post-apocalyptic scenario :)

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I am not sure what kind of verification on the numbers we are able to get. I agree that is true on all of the numbers. However, I feel like that is all that we have to use as the measuring stick right now.

BlackHalo likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HA!.. Yeah you definitely should keep an opinion like that here and out of your house..

B@ffled likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Looks like Kristi Noem really believes what Trump says. Make her state great!

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Fair enough and I agree that people from both sides were playing it down throughout Feb.

It's weird now because trumpybear put the onus for supplies and mitigation on the states/counties/cities. So they did that. Now he says only he has the power to reopen the country? Ain't how things work.

The list of things that trump has done that would have driven the right INSANE had the same things been done/said by President Obama is truly amazing.

Look...stick around. We could use some more level-headed posters from the right. Many of us have no problem debating the issues when they're coming from a place of common sense.

RayRay10 and BlackHalo like this.
  9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Hey Wacky Dems, it's just me... Nobody cares...

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand the point of this post. That someone on twitter called a guy for refusing to vote for Biden racist??? Why are they even discussing that?

Look, if people on the left don't want to vote for Biden and are ok with a second Trump term, that's their choice. But it seems very odd that because they didn't get their guy in, they are willing to open the door for someone who will take further rights away from people and do more damage to the causes they believe in. At the end of the day, Biden may not progress the progressive agenda more than a few inches, but he as sure as hell isn't going to take the country in the opposite direction either, and Trump will most certainly do that and has done that.

Invisible Fan, RayRay10 and Pringles like this.
  11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Dude, just stay home already.

12. BlackHalo

BlackHalo Member

Sounds good man.

I'm not 100% Trump can do no wrong guy, dudes got faults like all that have come before him. But you roll with whose policies you align closest with. And yes if Obama said the whole "When someone is President of the United States, their authority is total" I would've been pissed. Even more then when Trump said it. But that's politics.

There are crazies from both sides. Even here I see the same narrative that Trumps Racist, etc etc. I won't entertain that and I'll dismiss anything else that person has to say. I'm a White Conservative who moved my Black Native Houstonian wife to Utah. Mixed Kids etc. I only say that because no way in hell would I support him if I thought he was Racist. Do I think he's probably an *******? Yes. I'd much rather down a couple of beers with Bill.

13. biina

biina Member

You lost me right there - there has never been a worse POTUS than Trump and he is (independent of party or country) simply unfit for the office of president

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's how Trump voters rationalize their decision. Look, I have a cousin who is die-hard Trumpster. Why? Because she always talks about money and keeping more of it, so she likes Trump. She knows nothing about his policies or decisions. She doesn't care. She just repeats the talking points and there is no real debate - literally like talking to a @bigtexxx. So I never talk politics with her or her husband. They will rail against Obama all the time - often complete b.s. or made up, but I just change the subject. It's all about the money for her and her hubby.

15. BlackHalo

BlackHalo Member

And I disagree and would say the same about Obama. So what's your point exactly?

In my opinion he'll win this election and you'll have a lot of people who disagree with you. Again, you're opinion. Which I respect but disagree with.

2024 will be the dems chance and what I'm nervous about.

16. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Dude you’re simply misguided here. You don’t agree with Obama’s policies. Fine and dandy; that debate will exist between both sides for time immemorial. Trump is not mentally sound and is in fact a direct threat to democracy. When we say Trump isn’t fit for the office, it’s in the truest sense of minimal qualifications. Every president in history has met those qualifications until now.

this, of course, is an opinion like any other. Trump is about to be demolished in the general though. It won’t be a 48 state sweep or something ridiculous like that for Biden; those scenarios don’t exist anymore. Within the confines of modern elections, this will be an absolute shellacking. Worse beating than Obama’s margins against McCain. Can’t wait for it.

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Hard to see you not arguing.... this real life sweet lou is interesting.

18. biina

biina Member

You seem quite confused about facts and opinions.

You saying the same about Obama is your (wrong) opinon, what I stated about Trump is a fact.

You are free to like/support Trump despite the fact, but that doesnt change the fact.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Trust me random internet strangers, I'm a humble RN who voted for Obama 4 times and adopted 5 migrant children and was just laid off. I see no evidence Trump bungled the COVID19 response!

NewRoxFan likes this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Never argue politics with family when you have D&D.

dachuda86 likes this.