1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade for Brandin Cooks

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by zeeshan2, Apr 9, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

also doesn't help, this happens again basically a year later. Cooks is as small as they come in the league. These hits aren't pilling up and doing minimal damage

#321 YOLO, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Gray_Jay likes this.
  2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Agree that Cooks was a very good wide receiver, once upon a time. I think the injury risk for his noggin is too high, for what they had to give up, and for his contract; you don't, I respect that. A 2nd is insane, given his number of teams he's been shuffled around---despire being this talented---and considering the WRs in this draft. Does BoB ever pay wholesale on anything?!

You've mentioned before here that trading Hopkins---in a vacuum---might by itself not be a terrible idea. Done it well too, IMHO. Future contract cost, potential already having reached his peak production, etc... I don't disagree. If Belichick were to trade Hopkins... Well, for one, he'd have gotten much more back, actually approaching Hopkins's value, and two, Belichick gets the benefit of the doubt, even still. What does he know about Hop' that we don't? Is this the proverbial Patriots trading a guy one year early sort of thing? Et cetera.

BoB deserves absolutely no such benefit of the doubt. Even with their looming cap problems, trying to pay the near top: QB, LT, and WR salaries in the League, if Hopkins got his way. And paying some of the highest AAV salaries this year, at RB 1 and 2. So O.K., trading Hopkins might have some merit, if you think you're going to be up against it for the cap soon, and you have to cut back somewhere. But for this?!

3. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I'm not an MD, but post-hit, Cooks looks like his left arm is starting to curl, and his right arm starting to extend straight out. I.e., 'fencing posture'. He recovers himself quickly before he stops rolling on the ground. Which is good for him.

Still not a fan. Probably played a lot of games after that hit too. Thanks for the video clip.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yet to see but might be the answer... the secret weapon we are waiting for.

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This.

6. raining threes

They all wanted more money.

body slam likes this.
  7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Sure. Everybody wants more money. These 3 had issues with the organization other than money. They probably could have worked out the money thing were it not for the other issues.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

How? If they wanted more money and didn’t want to give it them? Teams backed away from Hopkins when they heard “Julio Jones money”.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Once upon a time was... 2018. And he's 26. Assuming he's healthy, it'd be silly to assume he's peaked. Maybe. But...

I don't know if the price was too high... he's young and relatively cheap and in terms of 2020, it's likely Cooks will be better than any WR in this draft - at least ones available in the 50+ range.

You know.... I'm not so sure. He certainly would've gotten a *better* deal (taking Johnson's contract and not extracting extra draft capital out of that is just bananas) - but I don't think Hopkins ultimately had as much value as *we* think he did.

I don't know this for a fact - but the rarity of a playoff team trading one of its best players likely resulted in BOB narrowing his focus to NFC only teams, which - if true - is smart. We know at least two teams engaged - and one, the Eagles, withdrew because they didn't think Hopkins was worth draft capital and a new contract. That's a fairly standard practice so while we don't know if any other teams were involved - I'm guessing many also balked at that idea.

So I'm not sure Hopkins was worth more. I mean, they traded him to the Cardinals - THE CARDINALS!... Where were the Packers? Bears? 49ers? Seahawks?... You're telling me none of those teams had interest in Deandre frickin' Hopkins and would've offered a back-end #1 for him?

I still think the final deal was bad because they took on a bloated, unnecessary contract and didn't at least extract draft capital for doing it. But I think Hopkins wanting a new deal chipped away significantly at *his* value.

What I can't fathom is how anyone knew he wanted a new deal - that is likely another area where the Texans failed.

raining threes and Gray_Jay like this.
  10. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

No...winning is what Watson is after. That’s something Bill O’Brien doesn’t know how to do, and when you combine that with trading Hopkins, who Watson was extremely close with, I can’t see any scenario where Watson sees money and this “power” you’re talking about as a reason for devoting his entire career to staying here.

News flash...this isn’t in the NBA and this isn’t James Harden we are talking about.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And name One Elite QB that left his team that offered him the money he wanted? You can’t because it doesn’t happen.

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

But this is a new day and age and anything can happen.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

New day and age with more Money. $180 million is not going to be turned down.

Rooting for Watson to turned down money so Bill will be fired, is transparent.

Also, not that simple.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Never said I'm rooting for anything.

I'm saying this isn't the nba where current team can offer said player the most money.

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yes, but they are the only one that can offer it for the next 4 years. You think Watson is going to wait 5 years for a long term deal? Na.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

BoB can't develop any talent, definitely not WRs.

Devier Posey, Braxton Miller, Coutee etc the list goes on.

Will Fuller (the man with a career high of 670 yards in a season while playing 4 seasons) is the only one that hasn't been a complete bust.

No wonder he is eager to trade draft picks, he misses on every one and most of them end up out of the league in 3 seasons.

FEDEXROCKETS13 and awc713 like this.
  18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Let's pray Cooks is well and has a huge bounce back year. I mean with a healthy foursome of Cooks, Fuller, Stills and Cobb that could put some fear into defenses with DW in the shotgun. I'm hoping we open things up and let DW lose. I mean if you've got your #4 CB on Stills or Cobb, both those dudes will get open every time.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

sounds like a run 3 out of 4 downs to me and Bill.

20. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Name one team that has traded a top 3 WR in his prime without first speaking to the "Elite QB" and asking his thoughts on trading one of his best friends and a player he had played with since day 1 coming into the NFL? Kind of stupid trying to compare this situation to any other one in history. There haven't been many coaches that were simultaneously the GM in any sport...and sure as hell haven't been any with a resume as weak as Bill O'Brien. Those 8 wins at Penn State and that playoff victory over the Raiders' 7th string QB are amazing accomplishments.

BossHogg713 likes this.